Roly Update

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Labrador3
Advanced User
Advanced User

Roly Update

Post by Labrador3 »

Hello again,
Roly has been at the vets today for some x-rays on his front legs. He had been no better after being on anti-inflammatory tablets for a couple of weeks for swelling in the joints. He was ok on walks, but seemed uncomfortable putting weight on the joints after resting, in particular the right leg. Today, the vet was unable to rule out bone cancer but thought it unlikely as both legs were similar, with some fusing of the bones. He will be treated for stiffness in the joints for now and continue his diet to reduce weight on the joints, and we will see how it goes.
He is very quiet tonight (and wobbly!) after the anesthetic but hopefully will be back to his normal self soon. He is a wonderful pet and much loved and enjoys life to the full. If tablets are the answer for now we are sure we can live with this, after all we humans take our daily meds!
Thanks for your kind words on our previous post.
Best wishes
Steve, Carolyn and Roly. x :3517:
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Roly Update

Post by 12_paws »

Hope Roly is feeling a bit brighter and steadier this morning :2379:
Have you thought of giving a supplement too? When I adopted my Max at two, some years ago, the xrays we had taken showed he already had dreadful hips and I'm sure some of his other joints were pretty dubious. We started him on a blend of glucosamine and chondroitin (Flexi-joints for dogs, from on line 'human' company Healthspan) and saw a good improvement so continued them throughout his life alongside anti-inflamatories from the vet. I think Healthspan now do a more advanced product, Flexi-joints plus which contains glucosamine, chondroitin, green lipped mussel & vitamins. Other forum members have recommended different products too so other ideas may follow.......
Sending more positive healing thoughts to Roly,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Hope Roly is feeling a little better today and that the tablets help reduce the stiffness.

Keeping Roly in our thoughts and sending him more positive and healing thoughts :bighug:
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

We hope that you are feeling a little better today Roly and we are sending you lots of positive and healing thoughts.
If you have doubts about Roly maybe he could have a scan, Bonnie had one last year after the x ray and this was how her problem of a disc in her neck pressing on her spinal cord was discovered, she had surgery and is brilliant now, she is 10 .
Thinking of you Roly and all paws crossed here.
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :bighug:
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Bless his heart. I hope he improves on his medication. There are quite a number of folk on here who have dogs with joint problems, and I'm sure you'll get plenty of advice. You're quite right about medication and us humans!!

When we had Blakey, I took him for hydrotherapy, and it worked wonders for his joints.

Meanwhile, give him a big hug from us and we will keep all crossed that he is ok.

:love3:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

I hope Roly continues to mproving, sometimes it takes a while for the anti inflamatories to kick in so I hope you see an mprovement. Barney and Sally go to hydro, it's wonderful and I would highly recommend it.

Love Michelle X
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Poor Roly I really hope the medication does the trick. When George showed signs of limping he was put on meds and lead walked for six weeks by the vet we used then he didn't believe in supplements just pain relief and lead walking. This vet then said Nothing could be done so I asked to be referred to an orthopaedic vet who took really detailed X-rays and they showed he had no cartilage left in one of his elbow joints. He said weight was key, the less strain on the joint the better, he advised supplements, hydrotherapy and pain relief if needed. George lost 4 kg over a couple of months, he had 15 weeks of hydrotherapy and we built up his exercise to a regular 20/30 mins twice a day sometimes slightly more, we gave him YuMove Advance supplement and he didn't limp and didn't need any more pain relief.

I mention this just because it can be worth getting a second opinion. I hope Roly feels a lot better soon.
Joan and George x
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

I have to admit, I agree with Joan about obtaining a second opinion.

If it is arthritis, you can get pain relief from many different sources, be it supplements or pain killers. My beloved Molly is on both and is coping reasonably well.

I work on a strictly need to know basis, and I would need to know rather than wait if at all possible.

Sending positive vibes for Roly. :2379:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

I hope Roly is feeling better and that his medicine does him some good, also that if he gradually loses some weight you will see an improvement. I have also used supplements for Tuppence and saw a big improvement (Lintbells Yumove Advanced). Wishing him well, try not to worry in the meantime.

Hilary, Rowley & Douma