Happy Burthday Merfyn - 5 today

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Labs-R-Lovely
Senior User
Senior User

Happy Burthday Merfyn - 5 today

Post by Labs-R-Lovely »

Hi everyone,

It's been absolutely ages since I posted anything, but thought it was time to get back into good habits... Things had been difficult for many months, as Mum's health deteriorated, necessitating first of all, many weeks in hospital and then she had to have nursing care, which meant she was unable to be at home.Sadly, Mum died on April 22nd - a blessed release for her, as the Alzheimer's had taken such a huge toll on her, although she did recognise me until the end. She was just 10 days sort of being 93, so a long life well lived until the past year

Merfyn (note the Welsh spelling of his name - same pronunciation) and I visited her in the nursing home four times a week and she always liked to see him. It was amazing how his presence calmed and comforted her. I used to take biscuits for him and hold them in her hand for him to take and she would lift her hand as best she could to hold them for him. He was so gentle with her. He would bark at most of the staff at the home, but he got to know one of the admin staff really well and would make a beeline for her (with me hanging onto the lead). Need I say that she always had treats for him?
Even now, we have to go out in the car round about lunch time for a little walk and then a ride (as we did when visiting Mum)

Merfyn is the most wonderful boy, so affectionate with me and I am so lucky to have him in my life. We still have a few issues regarding the fears, he has (though these are now fewer) but we are working on these a day at a time.
I can't believe how quickly the time has gone since he adopted me in March 2016 - it's like he's lived here for ever.

And today is a very special day too. Merfyn is 5 :2808:
We've been for our usual walks and had a trip to our local pet supplies for some treats - he's had a bit of a tummy upset, so got to be careful with what he has at the moment.
He's now flat out on his cool mat and pretending to be asleep, though it's almost time for tea, so as soon as I move, he'll be with me!!!!

Will post some photos too when I've chosen from the hundreds I've taken.

Sue :bighug:
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Happy Burthday Merfyn - 5 today

Post by Joe + Hilary »

:2808: MERFYN 5YRS OLD!!

Sounds like you had a lovely birthday Merfyn despite the poorly tummy. :2799: :2811:
Sounds like you go shopping for your own goodies? Look forward to photos when Mum has the time to choose your best ones.

(Sue, sorry that you have lost your Mum, I remember from your earlier posts how difficult things had become and very distressing no doubt. It was good that Merfyn was allowed to go into the nursing home with you and that you believe your mum seemed to enjoy his visits. He sounds a real treasure for you to have as a companion, I'm glad you found each other, I'm sure he's been important to keep you going over stressful times).

Hilary, Rowley & Douma
Morticia1162
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Morticia1162 »

So sorry about the los of you're mum, but sounds like Merfyn has been a great comfort.

:2808: gorgeous boy. Xx
Lots of love, Janet, Pat, Barney & Lola xxxx
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

A belated :2808: Merfyn
We know you will have had a lovely day
:2811: :2811:
Sue thinking of you
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly v
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Sorry about Your Mum xx

Happy birthday special boy
:2803:
Blackdog
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by Blackdog »

Sorry it's late hope Merfyn had a super birthday. Condolences for your mum x
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

So sorry that you have lost your Mum Sue, it must have been a difficult year for you. Merfyns visits to the nursing home obviously gave your mum pleasure as well as calming and comforting her and he will have been such a comfort and support too to you too.....sent to you for a reason.
A very happy birthday Merfyn!
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

:2808: Merfyn

Hope you were spoilt in spite of your poorly tummy Merfyn :2811:

So sorry to hear about your Mum, Sue, what a difficult time you've had but what a wonderful age and for your mum to know you until the end is a blessing. I used to take my lab Khan in to see my mum in her care home and like Merfyn he loved it because the staff and residents would give him biscuits. Lots of the residents liked to give him a stroke too as they were used to having a pet before they needed care.
Joan and George x
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

Happt 5th Birthday Merfyn

Sorry to hear you have lost your mum. We were in a similar position and have to agree, it was a blessing in disguise. Still hard though. :bighug:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

Belated :2808: Merfyn
:2811:
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )