Flea and tick treatment

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Flea and tick treatment

Post by mollie »

Hi All,

Where do you folks get your flea and tick treatment from?

I got it online last time, but can't remember who from!
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Flea and tick treatment

Post by Lins »

I buy mine from the vets.

The beauty of them is that Molly loves to chew them and they are very effective. They are called Nexguard (or Nexgard), can't remember which.

I have to be very careful what I give her and these have been very good. Not sure if you can buy them on line though.

I can highly recommend them. Hope this helps.
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

I always get mine from Vet UK; I use their own brand and own brand wormer too (both have the same active ingredients as the leading brands). Also, branded stuff like Cleanaural ear cleaner is well priced and worth a look. Orders have always been hassle free and prompt delivery
www.vetuk.co.uk
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hi Marge
We get ours from our vet they are chewable tablets Bravecto
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly x
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

Hi Marge

I get mine from animed (on line) I can buy a 6 pack of frontline and 3 worm tablets (drontal XL) for half the price of pets at home or vets.
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Brilliant - thanks everyone!
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

That is a question worth a debate as I have never had a dog with fleas ever however ticks are a nuisance.
It worries me that drop on or oral flea treatment is routinely given on a regular basis as preventative as far as I know fleas can be passed on by dogs or the home environment but well cared for dogs in a normal home shouldn't get them.
So putting chemicals on the dogs skin I dont understand if no fleas are present .
We use bravecto to help keep clear of ticks that is an oral treatment .

Ive said before but garlic granules from the health shop are brilliant sprinkled on the dogs food a few times a week would deter fleas IMO

I think the pet industry is very expensive and worth it but often some things are not needed .

Worming is a must and we have used Drontal, Cestem and now now Virbac bought in bulk Abi gets it from Crufts for the rescue and every dog in rescue is routinely wormed and flea treatment if needed
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

I agree Glenys, I have never used flea or tick treatment - there are some very nasty chemicals in these products. Never had fleas (fortunately) and the girls often get ticks which we remove with a tick tool.

Jackie x
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

jackie wrote:I agree Glenys, I have never used flea or tick treatment - there are some very nasty chemicals in these products. Never had fleas (fortunately) and the girls often get ticks which we remove with a tick tool.

Jackie x
Same here Jackie, have never used in all the years we have had dogs, too many chemicals for my liking xx
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

jackie wrote:I agree Glenys, I have never used flea or tick treatment - there are some very nasty chemicals in these products. Never had fleas (fortunately) and the girls often get ticks which we remove with a tick tool.

Jackie x
Same here Jackie, have never used in all the years we have had dogs, too many chemicals for my liking xx
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

I worm regularly but usually only use the spot on flea & tick treatment prior to going on holiday - my reasoning being that we stay in 'dog friendly' accommodation which could have guests lurking in the carpets and we know the garden is visited by hedgehogs and rabbits: we are also walking in unfamiliar environments that may harbour ticks.
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart