Metacam

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Harold + Pat
New User
New User

Metacam

Post by Harold + Pat »

Hi all,

Bess (Little Lady) is now 10 approx. and has seriously bad joints ( a result of her previous life as a breeding bitch on a puppy farm) so the vet has started her on Metacam and it seems to be helping, she got over a stile on her own yesterday which she has not done for some months.

We go back to the vets next week and feel she will need to be on Metacam permanently .The price at the vets bears no relation to the on-line price, up to 70% cheaper though we will need to pay for a prescription. Do any of you have experience of on-line ? On the face of it the product appears to be the same so any help would be welcome.

Apart from her joints Bess is well and continues to enjoy life especially when she gets a swim and then she seems to forget her joints and runs about.

Harold & Pat
Morticia1162
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Metacam

Post by Morticia1162 »

Can highly recommend Animed direct. X
Lots of love, Janet, Pat, Barney & Lola xxxx
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

Animed direct here too, I have never bought prescription drugs but anything else animed come top for me
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
liz
New User
New User

Post by liz »

Hi,
Have used 365Vet for several years for prescription drugs and always found them most helpful
Liz
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

Animed here too. Can highly recommend them. Brilliant service.

Can't say I like the idea of Metacam long term though.
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hi we have had previous dogs on metacam, it has worked well for them without any problems, I have never bought anything on line so sorry I cannot help you there. Good luck.
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

It is usually a lot cheaper online but like Lins I would be cautious about use of a long term NSAID. I am however in a similar predicament with my older girl who is 13 and may well have to use it long term due to hip arthritis. She too is a lot happier and more mobile but I have only given her a third of the dose to try and minimise the risks. I am due to speak to our vet this week about longer term plans and in an ideal world I would stop it but only if she is pain free and/or there is a lower risk alternative (not sure there is such thing!).

Pleased Bess is doing well and clearly a lot more mobile, if you do decide to keep her on it long term I would recommend trying to reduce the daily dose and getting liver and kidney function tests regularly.

Jackie x