Raw feeding?

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Raw feeding?

Post by Lins »

I know some of our members on here raw feed.

Molly is suffering from a skin problem that makes her itch and our vet has advised us to try raw feeding.

What I want to do is pick your brains. :?

What supplier/manufacturer do you use. Is it delivered? Is it expensive?

I only want what is best for Molly but, the thought of raw feeding frightens me so, your experience/knowledge/help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance on behalf of me and the Molls Dolls. :2379:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Raw feeding?

Post by Liz5353 »

Hello Lins and Molls Dolls
We just want to say to you Molly that we hope you feel very much better soon and your skin feels much more comfortable, we do not have any experience of raw feeding but as we know there will be lots of help from people on this site.
So all paws crossed from us that you get some info and advice. Poorly skin is not nice, I had eczema a little while ago,
Sending love from us Molly
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :love2:
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

I feed part raw Lins but it is mixed with some home cooked too (things like fish I always cook as I worry about parasites). My two have offal raw, so heart, liver, along with cooked turkey, wild venison and salmon, cod. They also get organic chicken wings raw as a treat.

If you want the easy option there are lots of online sites where raw food is prepared for you all minced etc ready to feed. That may be a good place to start as you get to order a little bit and introduce it slowly while Molly adapts to the change. This also takes the risk out of raw bones as they are all ground down so no risk of splinters that tend to worry a lot of people.

Personally I am a big believer in raw or home cooked food as long as it is human grade produce and it has been produced to high quality standards. Steer clear of cheap online deals and buy the best you can afford. If you really are not quite ready for raw, try home cooked - for skin conditions I would recommend cooking salmon with sweet potato, chopped parsley and add in a bit of tinned sardines daily too.

Cost - in my mind the extra costs pays off in the end as you have reduced vet bills, and much healthier dog with more vitality. Maggie my 13 year old has only now developed a bit of arthritis in her hip and Bella my young girl who is 11 has had absolutely no health issues whatsever and she still bounds around like a dog half her age. My two have never been fed dried food at all.

Good luck!

Jackie x
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

Thanks Jackie. I am now looking at on line suppliers to start with. My research tells me it's the right path to take for Molly. I may be asking you for recipes and methods for home preparation next.

Thanks again. :2379:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador