Fatty lump at joint of ribcage

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

broadhorizons29
Senior User
Senior User

Fatty lump at joint of ribcage

Post by broadhorizons29 »

Hi, My lovely 5 year old Oscar has a fatty lump just below his ribcage, centre line. I have mentioned this to my vet on several occasions and although it is getting larger, probably now size of a damson, he insists it is ok, leave it alone. Has anyone had this experience with their dogs. To me it would be better taken off now than allow it to grow larger. Ok, consideration for a general anaesthetic which way would you go??? Second opinion maybe?

While I am on, are there any of Maggies puppies families still posting on the site? Oscar was one of the pups and is my delight and joy. Lovely boy.

Lin and Oscar
X
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Fatty lump at joint of ribcage

Post by Liz5353 »

Hi Lin & Oscar
My lovely Molly has a very large lump on her left side about half way up between her shoulder and neck, it is quite large and fits into the palm of my hand, our vet has taken liquid out of it and told me it was fatty,, she now has two smaller ones on the other side of her rib cage, I am told by our vet that some dogs are lumpy, it is very many years since we had a lumpy lab!!
But she is happy and eating well so I feel at the moment to leave well alone.
We think Molly is about 10 .
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :bighug: for Oscar
broadhorizons29
Senior User
Senior User

Hi, thanks for that Liz. I just dread it becoming the size of a grapefruit, which I have seen on some dogs, then it is too late to remove without a major operation. He is in other ways a healthy, happy boy so agree that for the time being leave well enough alone.

Love to you all

Lin and Oscardude
:2379: :bighug:
Labrador3
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Labrador3 »

Hiya,
fatty lumps are quite common on labradors. They may not look very nice but as long as they don't cause your dog a problem, for example rubbing on a leg as the dog walks, they are probably best left alone. Your vet will have made sure that its nothing sinister so try not to worry about it too much.
Hope this helps.
Best wishes.
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Maggie my old girl has had a fatty lump on her ribcage for some years now and we didn't want it removed. Unless it is interferring with they way they walk I am all for leaving them alone. I would say Maggie's is the size of a squashed aubergine now (flattened as against the rib cage) it has taken a good 5 years to get to this size and hasn't changed much in the last year (she is 13 now).

Jackie x
broadhorizons29
Senior User
Senior User

Thanks everyone, fatty lump now put to bed unless it becomes a problem. Oscar is doing so well after the traumas of ligament surgery last year I would not consider interfering with the lump unless necessary.

Best wishes

Lin and Oscar
:2379: :bighug: