Update on Merfyn and your thoughts please

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Labs-R-Lovely
Senior User
Senior User

Update on Merfyn and your thoughts please

Post by Labs-R-Lovely »

Hi All,

Been a bit intermittent with posting on the site lately - and I must confess to using Facebook quite a lot now too.
However, I like the forum too much not to post here and keep having a look.
So... update on Merfyn
Well, I finally had him neutered two weeks ago and pleased to say that all is progressing so very well, though he is still on mainly lead walks, though introducing time off lead more and more. (What a day that was, when I had to have him at the vet' for 9am... I cried leaving him there. Phoned at 2pm and was told that he was then having his op! Finally collected him at 5 and poor lad was absolutely out of it until 11pm, when, of course, he woke up - yes, you can guess... very little sleep that night - and the next_
The worst aspect was that he was terrified when I attempted to put the cone on him, so that went back to the vet, to be replaced by a donut, which wasn't very good as he tried to scratch it off and almost had his paw caught. Therefore, extreme vigilance to ensure no licking - and actually, he's been absolutely brilliant - the only time he licked was when his belly was wet and he was drying off (I wasn't quick enough with the towels!!)

Now that I know him so much better, I've come to the conclusion that he would really benefit from some doggy company - we don't see many dogs where we are, apart from the 2 next door. They don't like him and he doesn't like them (both male and not neutered). He's met several female dogs, including two very elderly Labs and he loved being with them.

However, he REALLY LOVES THE GIRLS! So, I'm thinking about adopting a lady friend for him.
There's plenty of space and a big garden, plus, I have lots of time (housework doesn't count!!!)

And, it goes without saying - I love him to bits :love2: :love2: :love2:

Would very much welcome any thoughts anyone may have...

Love and very sloppy licks from Merfyn :love4: and :love6: from me, Sue :bighug:
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Update on Merfyn and your thoughts please

Post by Lins »

My only thought is..............go for it. If it makes Merfyn happy, then it will make you happy, not to mention your new member to the family. Good luck.
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hello Sue & Merfyn
It is really good to hear from you, and we are pleased to hear that Merfyn is recovering well.
Like Lins I would say go for another, we have always had more than one and I just love having our girls around, when we are away I miss them so so much.
Good luck, if you go for another Lab what colour have you thought about?
Looking forward to your updates.
Love to you and Merfyn
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :love2:
mcca
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mcca »

Go for it 2 are always better than one in my opinion

anne
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Glad to hear Merfyn is recovering well from his op and think it would be wonderful for him to have a playmate.

Please give Merfyn a :bighug: from us.
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Twice the love, twice the pleasure! That's what we've found!

How old a girlfriend would Merfyn like, do you think?

Mattie? :love2:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Labs-R-Lovely
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Labs-R-Lovely »

Hi everyone,
Thank you all so much for your thoughts about adopting a friend for Merfyn. I very much feel the time is right - for him and for me (but most especially for him). He really does need some doggy company... we had four dogs at one time many years ago - 3 labs and a Scottie and they were all so good together in their little pack within our family.
I know that the girls don't come up for adoption very often, but I keep looking and waiting to see the eyes staring out of the screen, as Merfyn's did!
It will happen when the time is right, for all of us.
Have only ever had black and yellow Labs, but don't mind what colour - as I said before, I know there will be a connection between us when the right little one comes along.

Merfyn has now graduated from blackberries and picking up the windfall apples, plus the ones hanging on the lowest branches, to picking up acorns (last night, he was pulling some off the low branches of one of the trees in my garden)! Bit worrying, knowing they could make him poorly. At least he looks guilty when he's got one and he is good at letting me check his mouth! so, madly picking up acorns - where are the squirrels when you need them!!!

What a dog... feel so privileged that he chose me :love2:

love and very sloppy licks from Merfyn :love6:
Back soon with more Merfyn news, Sue xx
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

Pleased to hear Merfyn is going to get a girlfriend when the right little lady comes along! I have found it no more trouble having two rather than one and it is nice for them to have "someone of their own kind" to pal about with. Look forward to hearing all about her in due course.

Hilary, Rowley & Douma
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Lovely to have an update on Merfyn's progress and glad he's recovering nicely from his op. Good luck with finding a lady friend for him - I remember my vet said it takes 6-8 weeks after 'the op' for the testosterone to be completely out of the system so you might even find Merfyn will be at ease with neutered males too after that time.
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart