Tramadol

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Tramadol

Post by jackie »

Hi All

Anyone able to share experience of Tramadol for arthritis pain relief. Maggie is unable to tolerate NSAIDS so she has been moved onto Tramadol which she can have up to 3 times a day. We are not having an easy time getting on op of the pain so I am hoping this is going to be ok for her, I hate seeing her in such discomfort finding these past few weeks very tough.

Jackie x
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Tramadol

Post by mollymunch »

Hi Jackie
Sorry to hear Maggie is struggling at the moment. Honey was on Tramadol for a while for her arthritis but after a while it didn’t seem to work that well so vet changed her to amantadine twice daily plus a pardale v. This seems to work ok.

Hope you get her comfortable soon and sending hugs to Maggie

Alison x
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Thanks for that Alison :love3: Maggie seems very sleepy on Tramadol and not keen on going very far on walks (keeps lying down), is that something you found with Honey? Vet has also given her Pardale V wants her to take these 2-3 times per day but she has been on them alone for over a month and it just wasn't doing a great job. We had full blood work on her this week and her liver function had deteriorated a little since she started them a month ago (they were fine then) so I am worried the Pardale is affecting this.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Jackie x
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

Hi again Jackie
Honey is quite sleepy with her medication now and was before on Tramadol too. She does still love to go out for a sniff but she is slow and will sit/lie down as and when she needs to. Do find she is slower on the lead and she much prefers to do her own thing without being constrained by it. Keep us posted.

Alison x
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Thanks Alison, Honey sounds very similar to Maggie which has put my mind at rest a lot. I think I am grieving for the old Maggie and her quick deterioration has hit me quite badly. It is probably me more than Maggie that is affected as she seems reasonably happy with her lot, it is so sad watching them get old :cry3:

Jackie x
Lisahoward123
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lisahoward123 »

Hi Jackie

Both our two Archie and Tarka have elbow dysplasia and oesteoarthritis. Archie tried loxicom, made him Ill and physically sick , tramadol knocked him out completely , they’re both now on one previcox Daily and two gabapentin seems to suit them fine . Controls the pain well and both have been :bighug: on it for months recent bloods and no impact on liver function etc , ask could you try gabapentin works wonders for our two , two hourly walks are fine for our two now

Lisa Archie and Tarka
autumndays
Senior User
Senior User

Post by autumndays »

Hi Jackie,
Skye cannot tolerate the usual NSAID prescribed by vets i.e. Metacam. He was also tried on tramadol but suffered from sleepiness and loss of appetite. His consultant then put him on previcox, another NSAID but in tablet form, and we have never looked back. I increase and decrease the dosage as needed depending on stiffness and he can manage a two hour walk daily now with no problems.

Apologies if you have already tried Previcox but it does seem to be an effective alternative to Metacam.

Regards, Paul and Skye
Labs-R-Lovely
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Labs-R-Lovely »

Hi Jackie,
When Barney was so suffering with arthritis, he couldn't take metacam as it really upset his tummy, so he was prescribed PLTs (think Glenys had mentioned these before) and they seemed to be fine for him. He was later prescribed Tramadol, but absolutely hated them and my vet told me that they have a nasty taste! He was then prescribed Pardale...
Hope this may help
Sue (& Merfyn)
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hi Jackie
Like your lovely girl Bonnie is struggling with arthritis I am taking her to our vet this afternoon, for quite some time she is having one Synoquin every day and more recently I was told to give her when needed one Previcox, giving her this extra tablet is becoming almost every day. I hate to see her limping and we are just having a short walk on fields, on the paving stones and sets around the side of the house she is very lame.
I hope this helps.
:bighug: for Maggie.
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly x
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Gollie was on Tramadol but Nell was on previcox and you-move she did ok on it .

Pat was recently on Gabapentin .

Its sad when we know they are in pain but the above all helped ours xx
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

Just to add to the confusion, Molly is on Onsior tablets for her arthritis together with YuMove Advance. She copes reasonably well, if albeit slowly.
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Thanks so much for replying - this is what I really like about this forum excellent advice from sound dog owners :love3: She is having a bad time just now, been fine all day with just 1.5 tablets of Pardale but now unsettled and barking so the Tramadol has come out so we are waiting for that to kick in. It is becoming an almost daily occurence where she has these unsettled periods so I know we are not dealing with pain. The Tramadol will soothe her and she will be settled soon thank goodness but it does knock her out which is sort of what she needs so she can rest as she is a lot better once she has had some sleep.

Thanks again everyone :love3:

Jackie x
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Sorry to hear that Maggie has been uncomfortable lately bless her. From my experience of (human) family members taking Tramadol, it does seem to cause drowsiness initially but that seems to settle. However when I had Max, the vet tried Tramadol for him but he was absolutely stoned after just one dose, too doped to stand up, dribbling from the mouth and literally sat swaying.....as the response was so adverse we did not give another dose! We were lucky that he tolerated Metacam so we added the occasional three-quarter of a paracetamol if he seemed uncomfortable.
Hope you find a regime that suits your girl soon,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

When Balee was first diagnosed with Osteoarthritis the vet put him on Tramadol until the pain was under control and then onto Royal Canin mobility Tablets. He only went back onto them if I thought he was struggling a bit.
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

The vet put Barney on Tramadol but he was spaced out on it and not himself. Apparently Tramadol doesn't always work for every dog. We didn't like the effect it had on Barney so we took him off it as it didn't make a difference anyway. He had Previcox which suited him and occasionally paracetamol, which the vet worked out the correct dose to give, and this seemed to do the trick. I also started him on YouMove Advance but I couldn't say this made a difference as heartbreakingly we lost him that same week.

We did find hydrotherapy made a difference too. I feel for you Jackie as I know it's so hard to see them getting old.

Hope Maggie gets on OK and you see an improvement.

Love Michelle X
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home