Bella's rags to riches story.

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Bella's rags to riches story.

Post by Lins »

First of all, apologies for a long post.

Approx 7 weeks ago, I was contacted by Carole to ask if I could go and assess Bella. The only information I had was that she had fleas.

On arrival, we saw a very, very nervous dog but, after approximately 5 mins, gained enough confidence to give her a flea tablet which I went armed with. To say I was shocked at her condition would put it mildly.

A plan of action was required urgently. I spoke with Carole and then the earth moved.

Plan of action:

Collected Bella for trip to vets.

Action list:

An urgent appeal went out for a fosterer..............more on that later.

Bella was immediately put on a drip. To do the initial tests would not normally need sedation but, sadly, in this case, the dog was petrified due to her restricted life style. She hadn't been out for 4 years so there was no option.

Blood in urine (which I found out at the last minute from previous owner.)

Vet's actions: Two blood tests. One scan. Inoculation (1st as she had never had one) to be followed up with a 2nd in two weeks. Anti biotic tablets (two weeks) and nails clipped (the least of her problems but, they were very long.)

Vets findings....Thickening of the bladder (could be a tumour) but hoped the anti B's would clear this.

Now some positive news.

Fosterer.

Lisa kindly responded to the foster appeal stepped forward to help this needy girl.

I met Lisa at the vets to collect Bella ready to go to her foster home. As the vet nurse approached me to hand over Bella, she poo'd herself (frightened). Lisa arrived, and on taking her lead, she again poo'd herself and jumped up to try and escape out of the window in the vets. We took Bella outside and yes, she poo'd herself again. This dog was absolutely petrified. Lisa, myself and OH sat on the car park floor outside trying to calm this poor girl down. At no time did she show the slightest signs of any aggression.

Eventually, Lisa lifted her into her car and took her home. I went home feeling guilty knowing that Lisa had more than a full time job on her hands.

Fast forward:

I went to visit Bella and Lisa, together with her own lovely dog Lottie (together with 2 rescued kittens) about 3 weeks ago. Let me tell you, I did not see the dog that I went to assess. She was a totally different dog. Bella, Lottie, Molly and the two kittens spent a pleasant afternoon in the garden where we had a brew whilst they all went about doing their own thing.

It's been a very long haul for Lisa and her partner working with Bella but, they has worked miracles. Backwards and forwards to the vet, anxiously awaited phone calls from the vet for results etc., etc.

Now for the really good news......................Lisa rang me last night to tell me she had joined the failed fosterers club.

Bella has now got the all clear and has landed on all four paws with a very loving household in a very beautiful home with fabulous countryside surroundings.

I did receive a text message from her previous owner after a couple of days. I will quote.

Quote:

"Hi, it's K***y I just want you all to know how thankful and grateful I am for your help with Bella. I couldn't have wished for a better person than yourself to come in to our lives and help our Bella as much as you have. Thanks to you and your organisation, Bella has a chance for an amazing, carefree, loving life and family. I couldn't thank you enough. I am so glad and happy for your help. What you and Lab Rescue do is amazing. Thank you Linda for helping us and most of all, thank for giving Bella a second chance at life."

Unquote.

This is just one story of the amazing work we, as a group of volunteers and supporters can achieve. Thanks to you all. Bella has been nursed back to health and gaining confidence with Lisa. Sadly her previous owner could not afford to treat her or even feed her a good quality food. She had tried all avenues asking for help, without success, when my own vet suggested Labrador Rescue and that's when the earth moved.
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Bella's rags to riches story.

Post by JoanG »

How wonderful that Lab Rescue came to Bella's aid with no judgement just real help - this really is a five star set up not only the A Team but also all the other helpers and supporters - fantastic.

Thank you Carole and Lins for acting so quickly when you saw Bella's plight and a huge thank you to Lisa for fostering Bella and working so hard with her to bring her back to good health and overcome her fears. Bella is like a different dog now and as Lisa has now joined the FFC :lol: :1951: Bella's life will be one full of love and fun.

Thanks Lab Rescue North West for another really happy ending :bravo:
Joan and George x
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Poor girl I am just pleased that Lab Rescue was able to help and special thanks to Linda and Lisa particularly for taking on this girl and giving her the life she deserves.

Jackie x
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Oh Lins, what a great story. It sounds as though the previous owner did love Bella, but couldn’t afford to keep her healthy.
Lovely to hear about how she has gone to a lovely new home.

Being a volunteer like you, it’s very rewarding getting feedback from previous owners. They really are grateful.

I went to assess Ken, now Fletcher, who wasn’t in the best of situations. One of the family, however, was nearly in tears telling me how they had tried several numbers and organisations, and drew a blank everywhere until they got Rescue’s number. He told me he was so glad he’d found us, and how glad he was that I had been willing to go and assess Ken, and that his mind was put at rest. The situation had got so desperate, they had tried to make an appointment with a vet to have him pts. He now has a lovely home and will be living the life.

Another dog we went to collect a few years ago....the owner was absolutely heartbroken at having to give up his precious dog. We were crying with him...such a sad sad situation. I talked to the man a few times before we collected the dog, and also a couple of times after. He said that he wouldn’t have handed his dog over to anyone else, and that we should be very proud of what we do. That has always stuck with me.

Sorry Lins....didn’t mean to hijack your post! You got me thinking!!
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Lins what a day that turned out to be, a huge turning point for Bella, every day now onwards and upwards, new experiences and a very special home.
A very big thank you to you your OH Carol Lisa for stepping in to care for Bella, and Lisa congratulations for giving this lovely girl a forever home, and outstanding effort by all.
Glenys and Sam thank you very much for all you do on an every day basis.
At some stage if Lisa has a moment maybe we can see a picture of Bella now.
:bighug: :bighug: to all concerned.
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly x
Last edited by Liz5353 on 26 Oct 2017, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Thank you Carole and Lins for acting so fast and saving this girls life and also to Lisa for fostering Bella and great to read that Lisa has now joined the FFC and that Bella will now have a wonderful life ahead of her :love2:

Love happy endings and thanks again to everyone not forgetting Glenys and Sam as so many labs would not be here today if it wasn't for Rescue :love3:
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

Hi Lins and Lisa

First of all do not apologise for the long post. I had been thinking of Bella and wondering what her background was and now it has all been explained fully.

What a journey Bella has been through and so very very lucky that Labrador Rescue became involved and you picked up on her condition when you went to see her, took the action you did to get her to the vet and for her treatment to start immediately.

Never doubted for a minute that when Lisa fostered her and Bella was coming on so well and settling in to a loving caring home life along with Lottie, getting the meds and food that she needed that she would not be moving on to anyone else's fire place.

Well done Lisa and Lins. A job very well done. :love3: and big :bighug:'s to Bella, Lottie and the kittens and Molly
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

Well done to every one involved even if it did make my eyes leak a little :love3: :love3: :love3:

Bella enjoy your lovely new home, family and sister Lottie too :bighug: :bighug:
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

We are all delighted to be part of Bella's story and overwhelmed by the kindness of Lisa and Hubby and Bella gets to live in a beautiful setting too fabulous thank you all concerned job well done xxx

We must also thank the kind vets too xx

not forgetting Lins and Carol well done good teamwork
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

A great update and telling of Bella's story. Thanks for taking the time to write it Lins. Also of course thanks for going to assess her and then everyone and Lisa for all that happened afterwards. Poor dog for the life she's had but how wonderful that she was helped by Lab Res and now has her wonderful forever home. So joyous to hear how well she is getting on, she must feel she is in heaven. It must give all of you involved such a boost when a dog does so well at adjusting to their new lives. Much admire your dedication and obvious talents at dealing with dogs and their problems physical and mental. :love3: :love3:

Hilary, Rowley & Douma
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

Another reason why this rescue is so special, always going tha extra mile for the love of the dogs.

Thank you Carol and Lins for helping Bella, thanks to Lisa and hubby for giving Bella such a wonderful home, FFC is the best club to be in.

Many thanks to Glenys and Sam, you make all of the happy endings possible.

And finally a message for Bella, be happy sweetheart, you deserve it.

Much love

Michelle X
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home
lucy73
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lucy73 »

A fantastic success story for Glenys and her great team of volunteers.

It's such a sad story which really upsets me, but to know that Bella is going to be living a much more fulfilling and happy life both with her new humans and other animals is so fantastic.

Thank you Carol, Lins and of course Glenys, the leader of this fantastic rescue for all that you do - long may it continue! :bravo:
Lucy, Lesley & Tasha xx
the-gent

Post by the-gent »

Hi everybody the gent and blue here !

Yes !! another great story to tell my audiences at my gig's. On Tuesday night I did a small gig in a not too wealthy area in my home town.
Am glad to say another eighty pounds is winging it's way to Lab Rescue. From an audience of less then twenty people. There were about eleven old pound coins in the collection box (one way of getting rid of then). No problem!! David does the counting and Lins goes to the Bank to change it into real money. The story's of Bella, the little puppy from Yorkshire who was going to be put down until the Vet. phoned Lab Rescue. My own story of my by Blue and the joy he gives to me, also the little tear away who is being trained as a search dog.

It is the little things that build to success. So please put it on Doggy Gossip. (I can't stand facebook). The Christmas Cards (Seasons Greatings) are wonderful Another job well done by Labrador Rescue.

God Bless to all involved.