Prayers and Thoughts for Zak - Please

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Prayers and Thoughts for Zak - Please

Post by LabLover »

Hi Everyone,

As you may remember Zak was diagnosed with lymphoma in April which was found purely by chance when he went to Liverpool Animal Hospital with Horners Sydrome and the CT scanner happened to go a bit further down on his chest than normal. Zak had no symptoms of Lymphoma on physical examination and so had the scan not picked this up and given he was at stage 5 they said it had been a lucky find as Zak would have died within weeks.

The only option was for Zak to undergo a 25 Week course of chemotherapy which although would not cure him could put him in remission and give us another 8 to 10 months. We agreed on the basis that if Zak's quality of life was affected by this at anytime we would stop it. Luckily Zak's quality of life was unaffected by the chemo and other than an odd time after he had it, he may have been off his food for a day. Plus he always went off with the oncologist quite happily never looking back at us, although we did suss out the reason, was that he always got chicken after his chemo.

Last month he finished his final chemo and when re staged we got good news his Lymphoma was in full remission but they said there was small nodule on his spleen nothing to do with the Lymphoma and quite often these are benign tumours and common in older dogs so they took a sample which was inconclusive and said to be on the safe said they wanted to re scan and do another biopsy in a month.

Zak went back Thursday and yesterday we got the most devastating news that the tumour was an aggressive cancer, they said it was so unusual with it being in the spleen which our vet also confirmed and that it was just so unfair for him, we are gutted and heartbroken as he's doing so well and enjoying life. The only option available is to remove his spleen and then he would have to undergo chemo which would be far more intense than the one Zak had for his Lymphoma and again would maybe only give him 6 months.

Having weighed everything up and given Zak is 13 in two weeks time we have decided it would be unfair to put him through this and we have to think what's best for Zak, he's happy at the moment enjoying life and even runs to me for a biscuit when out, bless him and so we are going to enjoy every precious day left with him and when the time comes and his quality of life starts to deteriorate we will do the right thing and let him join his Bruvs Milo and Little Max at the bridge, whom we still miss dreadfully.

Our vet said Zak could even have maybe a couple of months but whatever time will be happy times and we are hoping when his new little Bruv Fynley (a little chocolate lab) comes along in 3 weeks time who we decided to get with the intention of helping to mend broken hearts not knowing they were about to be broken again so soon and hope he will also give Zak the extra zest for life.

Sorry for the long post but please can we ask you keep our beloved Zak from now in your thoughts and prayers.

Thank you all again

Love Amanda and Jim xx
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Prayers and Thoughts for Zak - Please

Post by Melliott »

Dear Amanda and Jim,

We were devastated when you gave us this news. Zak is an absolute star, to have gone through his treatment and coped so well and now in remission, for this to happen to him is beyond unfair. You must always remember you have done everything for your boy, in fact for all your boys, and have gone that extra mile, no one could be more devoted to their babies than you.

Zak is happy now, and showing no signs that he or his body knows what is going on, so that must be a blessing. Treasure every moment with your beautiful Zak, and we will send him prayers and healing every day, he is always in our thoughts, and we are here for you.

We know that you will, as always, do the right thing for your boy.

Lots of love and hugs

Michelle, Mark, Sally and Mason XXXX
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Hi Amanda,

I’ve been thinking about Zak and you and Jim, and wondering how things were going. So sorry to read this very sad news. Goes without saying that Zak has had the most wonderful life with you and his gorgeous brothers. All three have had the very best of everything, and as long as Zak is happy and comfortable, that is all he knows. I completely agree with your decision not to put him through any more treatment....a true testament to your love for him.

Your new little arrival has no idea what a lucky little chap he is, and he will go a very long way to helping mend your broken hearts - however heartbroken you feel right now. You will have a new little life that needs you more than anything.

Big hugs to you and Jim, and gentle hugs to Zak. Thinking of you. :love3: :love3:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hello Amanda Jim and Zak
I feel so much for you and you are all so strong and positive, and yes you are doing all the right things.
Although I do not actually know you I feel as if I do and am sending you all our love.
Zak Is having wonderful care as did your other two boys, enjoy every moment and we will keep you in our thoughts and prayers as you face another difficult time.
In a very short time your extremely lucky new boy will arrive, and he will be so loved by you all.
Please an extra special hug for Zak from us, we will keep in touch.
Much love to you all
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :love2:
mcca
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mcca »

So very very sorry to hear your news

2016/2017 has been horrible for so many of us be strong for your boy and enjoy your pup when he arrives he will keep you busy

anne
Blackdog
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by Blackdog »

Sending hugs your way. Hoping Zak remains pain free and happy for a while. :bighug:
autumndays
Senior User
Senior User

Post by autumndays »

Hello Amanda, Jim and Zak,

I'm afraid that words fail me to express how much I feel for you at this time but please know that you are very much in our thoughts.
:love3:

Paul and Skye
Morticia1162
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Morticia1162 »

Oh Amanda and Jim how awful for you and so unfair, you are doing the right thing by Zac, we are thinking of you all and hoping he sees his new little brother, massive hugs for you all. Xxxx
Lots of love, Janet, Pat, Barney & Lola xxxx
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Love to you Jim and Amanda this is so sad and you are so right not to put him through anymore..

Love and hugs xxx
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

To Amanda and Jim

I am so sorry to hear this news, I hope Zak has so much more pain free time to spend with you both. Sending prayers for Zak and thinking of you all :love3:
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

Dear Amanda, Jim and of course, the lovely Zac.

I can't express how sad I am at reading your post. You have been to hell and back more times than is fair.

I totally agree with your decision. Enjoy what time you have left with your boy and I hope and pray its not too short. :bighug:

Will keep you in our thoughts. Be strong for each other. :love2:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
smitty
Senior User
Senior User

Post by smitty »

Love and hugs and of course prayers for you and the lovely Zak xx
Marie
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Dear Amanda, Jim and Zac. I couldn't believe your latest post and understand how devastated you must feel as I've said before life is just so unfair sometimes. I hope your dear Zac has a good quality of life for as long as possible, we all know you will do your best for him. He enjoys a wonderful life with you and has had two lovely brothers to share everything with and I hope that he can stay well for a long time so that he can show your new addition how to behave in his new loving forever home.

Thinking of you all please give Zac a huge hug from me xxx
Joan and George x