advice on pain management

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DebbieDJ
New User
New User

advice on pain management

Post by DebbieDJ »

We adopted our lovely little black lab lady, Poppy, from MKF a few years ago. She's been an absolute joy to us all, but has suffered various health problems. Most significantly, about a year and a half ago, she had a large tumour removed from her spleen. We've been told today that she now has at least two more tumours, one on her bowel and one in the abdomen. The vet was able to tell this from an examination. We're now in a situation where we have to make some difficult decisions. The vet outlined two scenarios - one is where we simply manage her symptoms, see how she gets on, and look after her until either nature takes its course or she is clearly suffering. The other was that he opens her up to get a proper look - but he did warn us that if he does this, and he finds that she is in a bad way, his recommendation then would be to have her PTS while she is under, to save her any further distress.

I hate the thought of her going so suddenly, and with no real time for us (and the kids) to say goodbye etc - but also, hate the thought of her being in pain and don't want to be selfish about it. At the moment, she is still enjoying walks, still obsessed with food, etc. She has started to 'go' indoors on occasion, and sometimes whines - this is why we took her to the vet for a check up. It's so tough because of course they can't tell you how they are feeling.

I'm looking for any advice from lab lovers who have been in a similar position, in terms of how easy it is to manage pain you can't see, and quality of life that can be maintained in this situation. We're taking the weekend to think about all of this before talking to the vet again next week, and if anybody has any relevant experience or wisdom, we'd love to hear different points of view. Thanks in advance!
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Re: advice on pain management

Post by Glenys »

So sorry to hear this sad news I would opt for giving her quality of the time she has left I'm sure your vet can advise on excellent pain management please feel free to make contact with me anytime if we can help at all I will private message with my number .

I am also sure others will come along with their experiences too.

Having lost two with cancer first Ned aged four carcinoma then Gollie this year at nine with spleen cancer I can only really say we went for quality of time not quantity , sending you lots of healing thought and prayers for your beautiful girl xxx
DebbieDJ
New User
New User

Post by DebbieDJ »

Thank you so much Glenys, that's both useful and kind. I'm sorry to hear about your losses - but we always know it's coming as dog owners, don't we? I think leaving it and focusing on quality of life is the way we are leaning at the moment - we'll talk to the vet, and keep a close eye on her. She's been such a wonderful addition to the family. Our other dog - a 12-yr-old Golden - will miss her as much as us, i think. But who knows? She may be around for a while yet - as long as she doesn't seem to be in pain, we'll just love having her with us for as long as possible.
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

I would agree with quality over quantity, if she has these tumours it will be palliative and if she were mine I would be looking to keep her painfree for as long as we could. Any treatment would be gruelling and diminish any quality of life she has. I hope you manage to keep her pain free and like you say who knows she could be around a lot longer than you think.......dogs are lucky in that they don't know they have a cancer so there is no psychological effects which can make such a difference.

Thinking of you all.

Jackie x
DebbieDJ
New User
New User

Post by DebbieDJ »

Thank you Jackie - I'd genuinely never thought about the psychological aspect; you're right, they are lucky! We'll take good care of her for as long as we can.
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hi, it is so very worrying when our much loved dogs are not so well, but I agree with Glenys and Jackie that quality of life is most important. We have to make with the help of our vets the decisions for them, being responsible owners is what we have to do. So we are thinking of you all and beautiful Poppy, our girls have their paws crossed, :bighug:also.
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly x
DebbieDJ
New User
New User

Post by DebbieDJ »

Thanks so much. We're going to see the vet tomorrow to discuss palliative care for her.