Madison

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

xenotime
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Madison

Post by xenotime »

Hello everyone. I just wanted to update on Madison....
As you know we rescued Madison in 2013. She has been doing great. She lost all her weight but was never speyed firstly due to her weight when we first rescued her and then due to her age. She developed mammary cancer in 2016 and had surgery and made a full recovery.

She's been doing great until a couple of weeks ago when she started to bleed more heavier than usual on her season. Always aware of pyometra we took her to the vets who scanned her etc and all was OK. The week after we had her rescanned and all was still OK. She's been wearing nappie's for the last two weeks. Then those dreaded symptoms appeared and she became lethargic, off her food and began to pant. An emergency appointment this morning revealed pyometra!! she has had to have emergency surgery to remove everything and is now back home recovering. We did not know whether she would survive it or not being nearly 11 years old. But she is otherwise fit and healthy and we just had to give her a chance. We have cried for most of today with worry but she's made it and we are so proud of her. She has eaten and is now resting. I'll update in a few days time.
Much love to all,
Ang xxxx
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Madison

Post by mollie »

Aw, bless her. I hope she’s ok. I’m sure I remember Madison - Gorgeous chunky lady with the most beautiful face?

Hugs to you and Madison. I’m not surprised you’ve been in tears. It’s an awful worry when they’re poorly.
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Yes I remember Madison. What a brave girl, she sounds like a real fighter to recover from her cancer op and now to survive emergency surgery for pyometra, I'm so glad she's back home where you can give her all the tlc she needs. Sending Madison every positive and healing thought for a speedy recovery and these :love3: are for you as you must be so worried.

Please keep us posted on her recovery.
Joan and George x
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

I too remember Madison. I fell in love with her the first time I saw her. She reminded me of my old girl Niambh when I first saw her.

So very sorry to hear she has been so poorly and we will keep everything crossed for her. I'm sure now that she is back home with you and your love and tlc she will start to feel better.

Sending positive thoughts for all.

Get well soon beautiful Madison. :love3:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Thinking of Madison and sending her get well soon wishes from us, also thinking of you.
:bighug: Madison
Much love
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :love2:
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

We lost a Labrador with Pyometra terrible so glad she is getting well xx
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

Wishing Madison well with her recovery, poort girl she's been through a lot and must be very brave. I can understand how upset and worried you've been, hope you are feeling a little better now especially if she has continued to get over her treatments.

Hilary, Rowley & Douma
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

I also remember Madison such a beautiful face.

So sorry to read she's been very poorly and sending lots of positive and healing thoughts for your beloved girl :bighug:
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

I remember Madison, what a worrying time you've had..... sounds like your vigilance gave her the best outcome.
Hope Madison is on the mend and feeling brighter :love2: ,
Sending buckets of positive healing thoughts,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
Emma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Emma T »

I very much remember Madison, that beautiful happy face! I do hope your lovely girl is on the mend x
Emma
xenotime
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by xenotime »

Hello to all who replied with your very kind words.

I love how you all remember Madison... Here is an update!!

We are now going into the 3rd week post surgery and Madison is brighter than ever!! She struggled with part of the wound healing up until a few days ago. We had to give her more antibiotics and we had to bathe the area three times a day with a special solution just to keep it all clean. We did "Night shifts" sleeping downstairs with her (she normally sleeps upstairs but we didn't want her doing the stairs) and we didn't want to stress her out with the cone so we literally observed her 24/7 (lol). She never made any attempt to get to the wound anyway, she's a good girl.

So now Madison is 100% well and we are all 100% deflated and shattered LOL But it was all worth it. She's now back sleeping upstairs and she's now back begging for anything and everything, rolling over for tummy tickles and is enjoying her short walks out in the fresh air.

We realise how lucky she has been because a lot don't make it through this. Being nearly 11 was a massive risk to put her through the surgery but she made it!!! Lets hope we have her for many years to come.

I'll post some new photos of her very soon.

This girl is one very much loved family member!!

Thanks again to everyone who replied with your lovely, kind thoughts.

Angela, Steve and family xxxxxxxx (Huge licks from a very happy Madison xxx)
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Gosh Angela I was actually really worried opening this thread as Madison had had such a major op for an older lady. It's made my day hearing that she's now 100% fit and well and back upstairs at night. I bet you and Steve are exhausted but all that tlc has made sure she's recovered at last.

What a star she is leaving her wound alone and now milking every minute turning her begging eyes on you at every opportunity. It's just as you hoped it would be and Madison I wish you a very long and happy rest of your life :love2:
Joan and George x
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

I'm with Joan on that one Angela. I opened the thread with some trepidation.

I am over the moon for all of you but, especially Madison.

Way to go Madison. :bighug:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Must admit, I was worried too! Delighted to know that she’s doing so well. What a tough cookie!!

Can’t wait to see some pics :lol:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

We are thrilled that Madison is doing so well, an amazing girl, please give her. :bighug: from us.
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Molly :love3: