Farewell to our lovely Poppy

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

DebbieDJ
New User
New User

Farewell to our lovely Poppy

Post by DebbieDJ »

We said a sad goodbye to our lovely black Lab Poppy this morning. We adopted her from MKF on an Jan 2 2015 - she'd only been there for one night! It was awful to see her go, but she'd been declining since being diagnosed with a return of a spleen tumour in November. Up until now she'd been quite happy on pain relief, still enjoying little walks and loving her food, but she took a real turn for the worse over the weekend and we knew the time was right. Always a tough decision, but one that you have to make out of love.

She brought such joy into our lives, and had a lovely time with her big brother/grumpy old husband, our older Golden Retriever, and more recently with a younger one. I've had dogs all my life and loved them all, but some are just extra special, aren't they? She was blessed with a big character and was always playful and kind. Devastated to see her go, but focusing on the fact that not only did she have a great few years with us, she had also clearly come from a very good home where she'd been loved and beautifully raised.

Poppy will always live on - she inspired canine characters in a series of books I write, called the Comfort Food Cafe, where the leading lady always has black Labs. She even made it onto the cover in illustrated form!

Thanks very much to everyone at the rescue for the wonderful work they do, and their genius at matching the right dog with the right humans - we initially came to see another dog, who wasn't quite right for our dog/child dynamic, and Glenys immediately suggested Poppy might fit right in. She was right - and driving away with her was one of the best decisions we ever made!
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Re: Farewell to our lovely Poppy

Post by Glenys »

So sorry to hear you the sad loss of Poppy we lost our dog Gollie to the same cancer last year its devastating .

Sending healing thoughts and best wishes and thank you for her time with you.

Glenys
DebbieDJ
New User
New User

Post by DebbieDJ »

Thank you very much- it's been a privilege x
Patmar
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Patmar »

So sorry to hear your sad news - sending loving and caring thoughts.

With love

Pat xx
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

So sorry to hear of the passing of your beloved Poppy, she sounds like such a special lady and I totally agree some dogs are extra special and the bond you have with them is incredible. My George died of this awful cancer in Nov 2016 and my heart goes out to you, however, they do stay with you forever in all the happy memories but the hole they leave is huge.

Thinking of you at this very sad time :love3: Run free dear Poppy :love2:
Joan and George x
DebbieDJ
New User
New User

Post by DebbieDJ »

Thank you so much for all your kind words.
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Thinking of you at this very sad and difficult time. Beautiful Poppy sleep tight.
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :love3:
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

So sorry to read you have had to say goodbye to your beloved Poppy. We lost 2 of our lab last year to this dreadful disease and can fully relate to when you say sometimes there is just that extra special one we're you develop such a unique bond with.

Thinking of you at this sad time :love3:

Run free at the bridge Poppy :love2:
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

So very sorry to read the sad news on losing your beloved Poppy. You can feel your love for her through your post.

Run free at the bridge dear Poppy. :love2:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
lucy73
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lucy73 »

So sorry to read this....run free at the bridge Poppy xx
Lucy, Lesley & Tasha xx
BonnieBoo

Post by BonnieBoo »

I’m so sorry to hear of the sad loss of Poppy. It’s lovely to see that she was an inspiration for a ‘character’ in your books. I’ve read them all and always thought it was lovely that there was a black Lab on the cover of two of the Comfort Food Cafe books.

Angela and Bonnie xx
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

So sorry to read about Poppy. What shines through is what a wonderful home she has had with you. A match made in heaven.
You’ll miss her, but she’ll always have a place in your heart. They never truly leave us.

:love3:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

So sorry to hear of the loss of your beautiful Poppy. Run free at Rainbow Bridge Poppy. :love2:

Big comforting hugs to you all. :bighug:
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

Sorry to read you've said goodbye to your special Poppy. You've written a lovely tribute to her and it is clear what a beautiful personality she had.

Hilary Rowley & Douma
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

So sorry to read that you've had to say goodbye to Poppy, you write so beautifully of her it' shines out what a bond you had.
Sleep tight lovely girl,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart