Megan having Physio

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Megan having Physio

Post by Diesel Kate »

Megan has been visiting the vet since January. I noticed that occasionally she would yelp for no apparent reason also tripping over and having to go up the stairs one at a time. When Balee was alive she would race him up the stairs. The vet put her on Tramadol and amandatine as he thought she might have spondylitis. Had to go back the following week to see how she was getting on. – No improvement so she went in for the day while he x-rayed her back and hips.
Results not particularly good for a dog of her age 10½. A little narrowing of the space between one of the discs, the biggest problem was she only has about 2/3 thirds of the ball on her hips on both sides. Classic Hip Dysplasia that the Physio – Vets suspects she has had since she was a pup.
So today she has started at the Physio – Vets at Crewe
She has been given an assortment of exercises + 2 x 20 minute walks (must contain some uphill) 5 minutes off lead, no playing with other dogs.
AND to cap it all a diet. Has to lose 2kg – NO TOAST, NO CARROTS, NO RYVITAS AND NO SARDINES.
Watch this space
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Megan having Physio

Post by JoanG »

So sorry to read about your Megan and hope the physio and meds can make her a lot more comfortable. It's incredible that her hips are bad and yet she's been able to live a normal life running round with Balee.

(I realise you are an experienced lab owner so my comments are made as some who are on the Forum may be first time lab owners or have an older dog for the first time.).

Like us, labs tend to put weight on as they get older and if she has then that will put extra strain on her hip joints. You're going to have to be very strong to get the weight off, they look at you when you're eating as if they are starving, even when they have just been fed :2008: George always sat right next to me at my meal times but once we decided to put him on a diet he had to stay in his bed instead. That worked as I could eat without those pleading eyes making me feel guilty.

Best of luck, Kath :love3: , weight loss really helped George's elbow which was bone on bone, along with supplements and hydrotherapy I know Megan's problems are different but hope she can be made a lot better too.

To Megan - big hugs and please try not to make your mum feel bad, she's doing it all for your own good. (How many times did we hear that as kids and we didn't believe it did we :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: )
Last edited by JoanG on 02 Mar 2018, 12:08, edited 1 time in total.
Joan and George x
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Awwww poor Megan, she must have been shocked to hear that swear word 'DIET' :rofl:

Hope the new medication, exercise and d*** plan helps and she soon feels a bit more comfortable,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

So sorry to read this about poor Megan and keeping everything crossed that the exercise and medication together with the diet, which I know will be hard for both of you but hopefully will help.

Megan this is for you :bighug: and these are for you Kath :love3: as I know you will feel bad about Megan not being able to have the things she likes.

Good luck Megan and hope you feel more comfortable soon :love2:
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hi Kath, I am so sorry to hear about beautiful Megan, our dogs are such a worry. Bonnie has joint problems, she did lose a couple of kgs and with her various meds we are doing ok, so I know it is hard but you can do it.
Lots of luck and thinking of you both.
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :love2: Kath for you :love3:
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

The Physio Vet is excellent when Rescue dogs Fergus came in after being run over by his owner he was a mess there were still tyre marks on his back so after lots of Vet treatment the Physio vet worked with him ( supported by rescue )
You wouldn't know it was him now so I hope he does some good with lovely Megan xx
Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

Hi Karh, here's hoping the physiotherapy works well for Megan all fingers & paws crossed here

Ann x
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador