up Date Matilda ( BIG RESCUE )

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

up Date Matilda ( BIG RESCUE )

Post by Glenys »

From Marian on our facebook page :

Sophie (was Matilda) is doing very well! She is fully house trained now, has a better recall than Bradley (lol) and has turned into a proper cuddly girl She is still a little timid around new people, but is coming round quicker all the time

I am just having one thing that I'm struggling with so I thought I'd ask for some advice as I know there is a lot of experience on here!

Bradley has always slept on my bed and is no bother as he curls up at the bottom and never moves all night.
Initially I had Sophie sleeping in a cage in the kitchen (she wasn't house trained at this point) and for the most part she settled quite well. Then over Easter, someone tried to get into my garden. Sophie went beserk (which was a good thing as it scared the guy off) but unfortunately since then she will not settle in the kitchen at all
After too many sleepless nights I moved her cage to just inside my bedroom door. This seemed to work for a few days, but then she started crying from around 4am onwards. Initially I was getting up and letting her out but i was definitely getting the feeling she wasn't crying to go out...

The last three nights I have caved in, the cage is still there but I have left the door open... and of course, you guessed it, she has made herself very comfy on my bed I'm not totally against having her on the bed, but she prefers to lie on top of my legs, which does not make for a very good night's sleep for myself

As ridiculous as this sounds, I've started thinking about modifying a cot so that I can make an extension to the bed as it's really not big enough for all three of us... either that or I move into the spare room lol...

Does anyone have any suggestions please??

12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Re: up Date Matilda ( BIG RESCUE )

Post by 12_paws »

Hmmmmm, not comfortable, my big lump Diesel does that occasionally but will move off or at least over a bit when I tell him 'shift' in 'that' tone :1968:

If you don't mind Sophie being on the bed and she likes the security of having something to cuddle up to, perhaps roll a blanket up and put under your quilt and see if that fools her that its your legs?
Or, it might be a daft-ish idea, but you could maybe keep her off your legs by getting a bed cradle? ( the tubular frame thingy that keeps the blankets off your legs) You can get reasonably priced ones online or at disability shops. I was thinking that she might choose a different bit of the bed to become 'her place' and then hopefully you could discontinue its use?

Good luck!
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Jane267 »

Sorry can't help with the bed question. Lily is not allowed upstairs!

But well done on giving Sophie such a wonderful new life.

Jane
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

We are thrilled that Sophie is settling in well, like Jane I cannot help with the sleeping arrangements, but loved reading about Bradley and Sophie.
With having 4 dogs the bed is not an option, but they sleep in their own beds that each evening I put into our room.
Good luck
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly x
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

Hello and thank you for giving Sophie a wonderful new life.

Both our labs are allowed free run of the house, and yes are allowed on the bed, so I totally know what you mean about crushed legs. They do have their own beds in our bedroom but usually start off on our bed, get off sometime during the night, and then usually end up back on the bed and we wake up with them next to us. Having said all that I don't have any advice of how to get Sophie off your legs because Mason does the same with me and I don't like to move him....I know, he has his paws firmly under the table....and on the bed. :love2: :love2:

Love Michelle X
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home