Lily feeling very sorry for herself - FINALLY CONE FREE!!

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Lily feeling very sorry for herself - FINALLY CONE FREE!!

Post by Jane267 »

Hi everyone, my baby is feeling very sorry for herself! This morning she had to have small op to remove her toe nails (she has an auto immune disorder which lead to her nails detaching from her toes) as they were all pretty bad. While she was under the vet also removed a small growth from her eye lid and a wart from her nose. She is having to wear cone of shame as she just wants to rub her eye. So sad to see her looking so sorry for herself. She won't be happy that we are now limited to lead walks for a week as well, she loves to run and jump in muddy puddles!

Here she is:-

Hopefully it will heal well and she'll soon be back to her bouncy self. She's eight and a half with some very glamorous silver tones appearing under her chin, but that doesn't prevent her from believing that she is still a puppy!

Jane and Lily
Last edited by Jane267 on 04 Jun 2018, 11:39, edited 7 times in total.
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Lily feeling very sorry for herself

Post by Liz5353 »

Sending Get Well Soon wishes to you Lily.
We know wearing the cone is not nice but hopefully not for too long.
:bighug: for you Lily
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly x
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Aw bless her. Lily looks so sorry for herself. Big hugs from us....and don’t worry about the cone of shame Lily. It won’t be there long xx
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Oh my goodness Lily does feel sorry for herself, poor girl. I hope she's beginning to feel better - that sounds a horrible operation on her toe nails, will they grow back? Sending gorgeous Lily buckets of positive and healing thoughts, I'm sure she'll be more like herself once that cone is off. Big hugs Lily x
Joan and George x
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Aww, poor Lily, she definitely doesn't look happy with life at the moment and who can blame her.
Sending tons of positive healing thoughts and get well wishes, hope the collar is soon relegated to the cupboard and Lily is soon back to her normal chirpy self,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Gollie had a similar problem Jane but he was expelling his nails it was linked with his immune system
It started at three years he made it to nine years and succumbed to spleen cancer
So there's hope for Lilly
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Jane, how is Lily doing, is she healing well?
Joan and George x
Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Jane267 »

Thanks Joan for you care and concern.

Thanks Glenys. Lily has been having medication for auto-immune since she was three (I adopted her age 2). She is now eight and she has shed claws throughout her life, so I'm not at all worried by the claws.

Yesterday she had to have the stitches taken out of her eye and new ones put in. The first set had short ends that were catching on her eye ball leading to her eye watering constantly and her being very irritated by it. The new set are done with thinner thread and have virtually no ends and her eye looks much better already and we have managed to lose the cone! However, she cried all day yesterday. She was so sad that I took her back to vets in afternoon and they examined her and said there was nothing medically wrong she was possibly hungry - as anesthetic makes them hungry and she was playing her mummy! Instruction - take her home and feed her and then ignore her crying. I did do that but it was so hard to listen to her crying which she did until I went to bed at 10pm! However, she went to bed OK and I didn't hear her until 5.30am this morning when it was becoming light - and that's normal. I think having been left at the vets twice in one week has kicked in her separation anxiety (she howled all night for six weeks when I adopted her). She still seems a bit out of sorts with herself this morning, and is still crying for attention, but inbetween is eating, drinking, walking and playing normally! So I just need to convince her that I love her to bits and would NEVER abandon her.

Jane and Lily
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Ah poor Lily, that must be so hard to listen to her crying. It's hard to know what to do for the best, let's hope the vets are right and she's just pulling on your heart strings rather than anything wrong. Sending her positive and healing thoughts and sincerely hope she soon back to normal. Big hugs for Lily from me :love2:
Joan and George x
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

Sending buckets full of healing thoughts to Lily :love2:
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Jane267 »

Lily saw vet this morning and her eye is now ulcerated, so she has to have drops twice a day and another check up on Friday! I think I have been forgiven and she has finally stopped crying, but I do feel sorry for the poor little girl.

Thank you for all your good wishes for her. Please keep them coming.

Good news is that we have all clear to do our normal PAT dog visit to school tomorrow afternoon.

Jane
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hi Jane and Lily, just catching up, oh Lily you are having a terrible time, so we send you loads and loads of positive thoughts and get well soon wishes.
We are thinking of you.
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :love2:
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Poor Lily she really has been in the wars. Bella had a small growth removed from her eye last May too but it was tiny in comparison only came to light as it had caused an ulcer. Anyway eye ulcers are painful (had one myself) and can cause a lot of discomfort so maybe that is why she has been unsettled and crying, Bella was the same. She hated the cone of shame too so we we got one of those comfy ones that she tolerated at night when I couldn't keep an eye on her other than that I let her be during the day as long as she was supervised!

Sending lots of healing thoughts and gentle hugs for lovely Lily.

Jackie x
Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Jane267 »

We visited the vet again today and Lily's eye has still not fully healed. She has a "crater" caused by the top layer of cells of her eye ball lifting away from the eye. Vet put local in her eye and then using a diamond tip (equivalent of sand paper) rubbed away the dead cells. She was such a good girl. We have to continue with the ointment twice a day and return to see vet again on Friday. Vet said it was a common problem in Boxer Dogs, but not Labradors!

Jane and Lily
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Lily feeling very sorry for herself - Updated 22nd May

Post by 12_paws »

Ohhh, poor girl, I was hoping things might have resolved but I know eye ulcers can take a bit of time. Fingers crossed that Lily will make good progress now after the Vet removing the dead rubbish.
For Lily :bighug:
and you :love3: , its hard to see them poorly,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart