Sam

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Sam

Post by LabLover »

Aww Sam that really brought a tear to my eye, as could picture it in my head, lovely :bighug:
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

Well done Sam with all your lessons, passed with flying colours. I see some pics of you on facebook, but in that one above you look so gorgeous!! Great to read your stories of how you are enjoying life.

Hilary, Rowley & Douma
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

jackiem wrote:Just a quick update as something exciting happened yesterday.

I was walking along the old railway track near our house with my dad yesterday afternoon when I spotted mum coming in the other direction! She should have been at work but she went to see something called a client close to home so she was home early, tracked dad on his phone and came to meet us.

I got excited, dad let me off the lead so I ran towards mum then stopped dead 'cause I wasn't sure it was her but it was so I took off towards her at great speed and jumped up and down wagging my tail so much I almost took off. Then dad put my lead back on when he caught up and we all walked home. It was lovely mum coming home early. What a surprise!

So, first time off lead and no problem at all. (Actually I won't even go in the garden yet unless mum or dad is with me so I don't know why they thought it may be a problem).

Clever boy Sam doing a good job and being so happy xxx
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hi Sam
Well I was thrilled to know how well you are doing, your updates are amazing.
So well done.
Love from us
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :love2:
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

Darling Sam, I just love all your updates; keep them coming!
You are such a lucky boy to find your forever home with Jackie and Malc and they clearly think they are equally as lucky to have adopted you.
Looking forward to continuing stories of your new life. xxx
Love,
Aileen xx

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
nic_gatland
New User
New User

Post by nic_gatland »

We've loved keeping up with how you're getting along Sam, you're doing so well you clever boy! :bravo:
Hope to hear more soon.
Love Teddy and his Mum & Dad xxx
Love Teddy and his Mum & Dad xxx
Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

Well done Sam what a good boy you are! You are very similar to my Millie your nose is brown/pink! Be interesting to see if your paws are pink too. Millie's are & I think she's what is known as a Dudley Labrador.

You're so handsome

Ann & Millie xx
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

Sorry it's been a little while. Mum has been on the 'puter too much for me to get my paws on it. She's going to that place she calls holidays soon so she's been very busy.

Human sister is still with us as her leg isn't healing very quickly and it will seem strange when she isn't here but I hope that she gets better soon as her cat is missing her. My mum going round to feed him and give him a quick cuddle isn't quite as good as his own mum being there with him at night. So my "Sam-sitters" will again be looking after human sister as well as me and then popping round to look after human sister's cat! Mum is very grateful that she has such good friends.

Mum says that I'm still like an overgrown puppy as I get so, so excited over the slightest thing.

She says I'm picking up some of Bob's habits and she is wondering whether Bob is influencing me. I now always grab a toy when the doorbell rings (Bob used to grab a toy or a shoe or in fact anything when the bell rang). Mum used to open the drawer in the cupboard where the cow ears are kept and invite Bob to take one before she went to work. I know when she is going to work and what's coming so I start licking my lips as soon as I see her take her briefcase into the porch. She opens the door to the cupboard, then the drawer and tells me to take an ear so I do but unlike Bob who immediately settled down to eat his ear, I wag my tail madly so that I get an extra cuddle before she goes. Sometimes she goes to work with very hairy trousers and sometimes a hairy top too if she couldn't resist getting down on the floor to give me a proper cuddle. She's just waiting for me to start stealing food but I won't because I'm a good boy. Mum and dad left two plates unattended on the worktop the other evening. One had chicken on it and the other beef and I didn't touch either of them.

Mum is so proud of my behaviour. Someone came to see mum this morning and when she was talking to him, he asked how my training was going so I demonstrated walking to heel without a lead, sit and paw. All on first command and from an excitable start (and all with a toy in my mouth the whole time).

I still occasionally forget myself and mouth a bit but the excited dribbling is becoming less and less and I'm getting braver in the garden. I actually let mum out of my sight this morning! I soon came racing back though.

I'll enjoy it even when mum and dad are on holiday as I'll have the two ladies and human sister here and sometimes one of the ladies brings her 16 year old granddaughter who loves to play ball with me.

No doubt mum will be taking the 'puter with her as she needs to keep up with the news of all the other lovely Labs who have found their new homes so you won't hear from me for a couple of weeks.

Sam :2379:
Jackie
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hi Sam
I thought we should say hello before dad Mum and the puter disappear on holiday..
We are very impressed with how well you are doing in such a short time. We think that you will have a wonderful time with your sitters, just as we do when dad and Mum go away, we get really spoilt.
Have a lovely time and look after your human sister.
Love from us, Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :bighug:
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

Well, mum and dad have been back from holiday for a week and a bit. I had a lovely time with my ladies and mum was sent lots of photos so she didn't forget about me.

Apparently mum wasn't expecting too much by way of greeting as she had been away for two weeks and I hadn't lived here long. Ha ha, I showed her what a real greeting was! Mum said it was the bestest greeting ever in her long history of living with Labradors. I think she was happy. Then when dad came in pushing a suitcase (Mum didn't hang around to help as she was anxious to see me) he got the same greeting. I think I made them both very happy and welcome. Mum says they aren't going away again for quite a few months but I don't mind really as I love my ladies too.

I soon got back into my routine though dad was a little late putting my food out one evening so I danced up and down in front of him and when he asked me what I wanted I took him to my food cupboard licking my lips.

I play with mum or dad as much as I can with balls, rubber bones and all sorts of things but the toy box has slowly emptied as mum has thrown some of the chewed toys in the bin.

I love going in the car so no matter how small the journey mum takes me with her. Her car is getting a bit hairy.

Mum and dad have started lighting a fire now and I'm not sure what to make of it so I tried lying in front of it last night and it was quite nice. The best bit is that I have a new game as there are some things called logs and they live in a big bucket in the hall. When mum filled it up I pinched one of the logs so she bribed me with a treat to drop it as I was settling down to chew it. I then lulled her into a false sense of security for a couple of days then after dad had taken me for a walk yesterday afternoon, I rushed straight through the house, grabbed a log ran into the kitchen with it. So mum gave chase and gave me another treat to drop it. It doesn't take long to train these humans. :)

Mum says Bob used to something similar with rotten apples which fell from a tree in the garden and he trained her to give him a treat to make him drop the apples when he brought them in. The tree was blown down by somebody called Doris so I can't try that one.

Bye for now.

Sam :2362:
Jackie
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Ah Sam what a lovely update. You're training your humans well, a really good over the top greeting when they come back from a holiday is a winner every time :rofl: Also now it's Autumn you'll be in for lots of treats, that log bucket's going to be full of logs from now on, didn't take you long to work that trick out :1967:

I'm so pleased for your mum and dad you're making them very happy and their training's coming along nicely :bravo:
Joan and George x
Patmar
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Patmar »

Oh Sam. It’s so good to hear your news. Your human training seems to be going well - you must be a very happy boy to be able to sort them out.

Lots of love

Pat, Zach and Jake

x x x
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hello Sam
We just wanted to say hello and we are very pleased that all is going very well.
I have to tell you that you do make me laugh with your posts, always good to hear from you.
Love from us to you.
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly xx
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

It's been a little while so I thought I should let you know that I'm still enjoying my life here with mum and dad.

It was my birthday a couple of weeks ago so I'm a big 4. I had lots of treats.

I REALLY like that fire thing now. I've tried draping my paws over the fender so mum thinks it should be renamed a Labrador Paw Warmer as Bob used to do the same thing. I also tried roasting my head on the fender when there was a roaring fire so human sister took a photo of me. Well, I had to try something that Bob had never done! Mum is quite relieved that I move when I get too warm so I don't singe.

I'm more relaxed in the garden now and spend hours with Dad while he looks after the vegetables and I love watching the hens through the fence. If one gets close to me I play-bow and they run away - great fun!

Mum thinks I am a really good boy as I have never jumped in the pond, run across the flower or vegetable beds or pinched vegetables or fruit out of the trug or off the plants. (Well maybe once a pea pod disappeared but don't tell them that.) All things which someone did who I couldn't possibly name. (He seems to have been a bit of a "character" that Bob.)

I still won't go out unless mum or dad comes with me and I nearly always keep them in sight. If I can hear them, I will go a little bit further away but then remember that I need to see them so gallop back again.

We have two doggies in the holiday cottage this week which mum thinks are chocolate coloured cocker spaniels. One of them is quiet but the other one barks and barks so I have no option other than to bark back!

Human sister is still with us. She doesn't have a sticky out leg now but can only walk with two big metal sticks which I think she calls crutches. She has to do lots of exercises so I enjoy joining in (mum calls it getting in the way).She's hoping to be able to walk with one metal stick soon and then she can go home as she will be able to look after herself. It will be strange without her as she was here before I arrived. She has started to do something with two little sticks which I think is called knitting. She can't do it at her home as she has a cat who likes to play with the wool. It's put mum in the mood for knitting too so when mum is home we have stereophonic clicking of knitting needles and dad asking which of us is knitting something for him. (Neither of them is the answer to that one!)

Another human sister came to stay with us last week too. She came to visit for a couple of days as she lives a long way away and it was the first time she had met me. She was a big fan of mine right away so she is welcome to come back any time.

Yet another human sister who comes to visit quite frequently is getting married so she came to discuss wedding plans with mum and dad. It's not for two years so I think these wedding things must take a long time to sort out. They all went out to see the venue and the church and then came back and worked out a budget. Dad was a bit pale at this point and I think I detected a nervous tick.

When mum or dad put coal or logs onto the fire I rush over for a cuddle. It makes it a bit difficult to put the coals or logs on the fire but I don't think they mind as they always laugh.

I know all the routines now and they all seem to be centred around me which is how it should be.

One thing that mum and dad are doing more of now that it isn't hot outside is taking me for rides in their cars. I love it! I get so excited when I see the keys come out of the drawer but I know when mum is going to work so I don't bother to get excited then. I just put on my sad eyes so that she will give me a cow ear or dentastix before she goes.

I've tried my best to make mum and dad happy again as they missed Bob so much. I think I did make them happy again quite quickly so that was a job well done. They still talk about him and I can tell that they both loved him at least as much as they love me but I make them laugh all the time and its difficult for humans to be sad when they're laughing so I'll keep on being me and they'll keep on laughing. I'm frequently called "Sammy Sunshine" and their beautiful boy so I'm pretty sure that they love me to bits.

I think that's all. More soon.
:2379:
Jackie
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

What a lovely update Sam, you have definitely made your whole family very happy again. I'm sure that although your mum and dad loved and still love Bob to bits and accepted his little misdemeanours :rofl: , they are quietly pleased that you are such a good boy, their food sounds safe with you around which must make them smile.

Keep up the good work Sam, you are Super Star Sammy Sunshine because of all the happiness you've brought with you :bravo:
Joan and George x