Sam

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Sam

Post by jackiem »

It's no secret that we went to meet lovely Sam on Saturday, the three year old going on eight weeks!

He is gorgeous. No other word for him. He has this way of stopping and looking at us to see if we're ready to play (again!) with a quizzical look on his face and one of his jowls slightly caught by his teeth which makes him look so cute.

He has the energy and excitement of a puppy.

He knows some commands and needs work on others but his lead training is coming on in leaps and bounds after just four half hour sessions. He has yet to be tested with distractions while he is walking such as dogs, cats and people but he is already okay with bicycles. With no distractions, he is walking to heal on a loose lead with no pulling. He proved easy to train on lead-walking as he is so very eager to please. He absolutely loves being told that he's a good boy.

Fetch isn't going as planned. The first time I threw the ball he ran after it, picked it up and rushed back into the house with it leaving me standing like a lemon on the lawn. I still haven't found the ball! We've now got another ball which he chases, throws up and down, chases and eventually drops for me to go and retrieve to throw again. I don't think the object of the game is for me to do the fetching but hey ho.

I'll keep you updated with progress as its early days yet but he is a real character and has filled our home with smiles again.

Jackie
kayj
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Sam

Post by kayj »

Lovely update Jackie.

Reminded me of Zeus when we first had him. Jack totally different used love playing with a rugby ball.

Look forward to more updates.

Kay.xx :love3:
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Sam sounds a lovely boy who has already stolen your hearts :1972: I have no doubt you will soon sort him out if the lead walking is anything to go by. It will be so good to hear about your training sessions and pick up some tips on the way. After Bob, Jackie, you must be an expert and look how wonderful he became with your love and care, Sam will be the same.

Keep us updated it's great to hear how the dogs blossom in an experienced home.
Joan and George x
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Jackie, Sam sounds such a lovely boy, he seems to be doing so well in such a short time. I am very sure you will have lots of interesting times ahead and great fun getting to know him. Lots of luck and enjoy every day.
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :2379:
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

I’ll keep the updates on this thread.

My daughter broke her leg three weeks ago which needed a three hour operation and much metalwork so she cannot put weight on it for at least another three weeks. She’s staying with us on a sofa bed in a downstairs room and needs the door ajar at night so that she can get through easily with her crutches.

At 5 this morning, she was awoken by much licking of her arm from wrist to elbow. She didn’t know Sam had sneaked in so he really made her jump! :rofl:
Jackie
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

Lovely way for your daughter to be woken up, if a tad early! Sam really does sound like a gorgeous boy, and it's great to hear he's giving you laughs, he's given me a few already also!
Hilary, Rowley & Douma
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Lovely update and so glad Sam has brought happiness back into your lives. He sounds such a lovely character and doing so well with his training in such a short time.

He is a gorgeous looking boy and would love to see your game of fetch :rofl:

Look forward to more updates on his progress and antics.
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Jane267 »

Great to hear these lovely stories. So glad he has stolen your hearts.

As for Fetch, Lily is eight and a half and still doesn't understand the game!

Jane and Lily
kayj
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kayj »

Bit early for a Bed bath Sam. :rofl:

Kay.xx
Patmar
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Patmar »

It’s lovely to hear such happy news from you Jackie.

Sam you are a tonic for us all. It’s so nice to smile when we read about you.

Pat xx
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Clever boy Sam alarm clock duty too :rofl:
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

Hi Sam here again.
Just to let you know how I'm getting on.
I like my new life with my new mum and dad.
Mum gets up very early to take me for a longish walk now that I'm good on the lead (though I still get a bit excited when I see other dogs but mum says "Sam, leave" and I do. I'm a bit excited but soon walk to heal again. I'm REALLY good if I don't see another dog and mum walked me for around 40 minutes this morning and didn't have to correct me once. She says I'm a good boy. Sometimes I take one of my toys for a walk and mum ends up carrying it.
I then play ball for a little while and when we go back in the house mum does some jobs then gives me some food. She makes me sit and stay before I eat it but usually I've got a toy in my mouth and I can't eat my food. It takes me a couple of minutes to drop the toy so that I can eat my food. :2362: This makes mum laugh so I think I'll carry on doing it.
Mum then goes through the door with her handbag, briefcase and lunch and doesn't let me go with her. Dad stays with me though and I know that mum will come back because she does every day.
I've also got my human sister staying with us and I'm very careful not to knock her over as she has one leg up in the air and walks with one leg and two big sticks.
I help dad in the garden most of the day but then we go for a walk.
Dad says I'm brilliant on the lead (except when we saw the three little dogs yesterday but that doesn't count does it).
Dad doesn't seem to mind me snaffling peas off the plants in the garden.
Mum gives me these orange things out of the fridge but I just shred them all over the floor so I think she's given up on those.
This morning was exciting as somebody called "one of Bob's ladies" came to the house. I soon had her wrapped round my paws so she is one of my ladies now. I think I surprised her at first as I greeted her with barks and was so excited that I dribbled a bit on the floor. Later on we had big, big cuddles and I licked her until she was nice and soggy.
Mum has looked up on a screen thing what she has to do to stop me barking at people who come in the house and I quite like what she found out as it involves having treats by the door. Hope its gravy bones. I like gravy bones. It doesn't just involve gravy bones but that's my favourite bit.
When we have all eaten our supper and go to sit down, I have a game of throwing my toy around before I settle at mum and dad's feet and mum strokes my back with her bare toes. Just so that mum doesn't get too contented, I sometimes tickle her when I turn my head and lick her foot.
Then it's bedtime. I know "bed" so I go outside and do what has to be done before I rush back in and throw myself onto one of my beds.
I'm very good during the night and don't bark at any of the night time noises such as owls and foxes though I do pop in to see whether my human sister is ready for another wash with my tongue.
Mum says I'm a work in progress on some training such as "down" and "paw" but she says "sit" and "stay" are the most important and I know those words.
I like having my humans' hands and arms in my mouth but mum is working hard to stop me doing that. I'm very gentle but mum thinks I might accidentally hurt somebody so she says "bah!" at me and I stop and start licking them instead. At first whoever I was doing it to just took their hands or arms away or I was sent for a toy but "bah!" works better. She says that I'm really improving on this bit of training so she's pleased with me.
I think that's all. I'll let you know if something new happens.
Jackie
autumndays
Senior User
Senior User

Post by autumndays »

Dear Sam,

It's really good to hear how you are getting on in your new home and how you are making your new mum and dad happy again.

Keep up the good work :bravo:

love Paul and Skye
kayj
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kayj »

Sam,it sounds as if you are very happy in your new home and that you are settling down quickly ,continue as you are doing bringing happiness to your Mum and Dad :love2:

Kay.xx
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Sam, what a lovely update and sounds like you are enjoying your new life and can tell that you have brought so much happiness back into your new mums and dads life and that you clearly love them as much as they do you :love2:
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.