Sam

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Sam

Post by jackiem »

Sorry it's been a couple of days since I posted but I've been busy.

On Saturday morning a man came to the door with lots of bags of shopping for mum and mum was quite stunned that I didn't have my nose in each bag that she carried through to the kitchen. She thinks that maybe I'm a common Labrador gene missing but I'm not, I'm just a good boy. I can understand why Bob did it as she told me that he once stole some cheese from one of the bags and she didn't know until she found the packaging outside. What a naughty boy! I like cheese too but I won't pinch it out of a bag. :2379:

I won't tell you about Saturday's walks as they were just walks and nothing special happened. Oh, except I met one of the horses who lives in the field opposite. He was eating grass near to the gate so mum took me over to him to meet him. He came close to me and we almost touched noses but I was a bit frightened so stretched myself right out so that I could sniff him but the rest of me was far away from him. He didn't hurt me so I think we'll become friends.

On my Sunday morning walk we met the little girl and her dad on their bike ride who we saw last week but mum saw them coming so told me to sit and I just wagged my tail as they went past instead of barking at them so they smiled and said hello.

Mum saw some blackberries in the hedgerow when we were on our Saturday morning walk so when we got home, she went back out with a jug on her own and picked some blackberries to go with the apples from our little tree. She told me there used to be a huge tree that dropped its apples all over the garden and Bob like to pick them up and take them in the house in exchange for a treat. He sounds very cheeky that Bob. Anyway, mum came back with half a jug of blackberries and three wasp stings as there was a wasp's nest near to the blackberries. Then she was leaping round the kitchen as somehow a wasp had gone up her sleeve and another up her trouser leg. She put me in another room in case I got stung too until she had "sorted them out." I think that involved her taking her top and jeans off and running round the kitchen with a fly swat! She had to go and have a shower as she felt as though there were still wasps crawling all over her.

On Sunday morning dad went into a gate in the corner of the field and was getting straw out of a little house. There were these big birds with fierce beaks and I thought they were going to hurt him so I tried to get in to save him. He said not to worry as they are just hens and they won't hurt him so I ignored them after that.

Mum and dad went to fetch some new plants for the garden on Sunday afternoon and when they were getting the plants out of the boot, I thought it was open for me to jump in. So I did. Twice. Dad's boot has some soil in it now...

On my Sunday afternoon walk, I met a Jack Russell, a GSD, 2 Labs and something brown and curly which I think is a Spanish Water Dog. I got a tad over-excited to say the least! I didn't get close to most of them but the Labs were off lead so they came over to say hello. Mum says that she thinks I would be good off lead as I don't like to go too far away from mum or dad even in the garden or our field and I always go back to them when they call my name. She's not risking it yet though.

Mum cooked outside on Sunday night. It smelled nice but I wouldn't go near it as some flames kept coming up. I had a little piece of chicken and a little bit of pork chop after mum and dad had finished eating.

So apart from some ball games, trying to chew my way through a huge bone and sleeping, that was my weekend.

I like it here Auntie Glenys. Mum and dad are wrapped tightly round my very big paws even though they don't know it and I've wedged myself very firmly in their hearts. :2362:

Sam
Jackie
autumndays
Senior User
Senior User

Post by autumndays »

Wow Sam, what a busy weekend you've had. So many new experiences. I hope your Mum is over the wasp stings now. It took my mind back to many years ago when Skye's great uncle Sam stuck his nose in a wasp nest while we were camping in Scotland. What a pickle that was :1001:

Keep up the good work with your Mum and Dad

Paul and Skye
kayj
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kayj »

Been away for a few days,my you have been busy Sam. Hope your Mum is okay after being stung by wasps :love3:

Love reading your updates and new experiences.Me thinks your paws are well and truly under the table. :love2:

Kay.xx
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

Sam I Love reading your updates on your new life with new mum and dad and big sister. What a brilliant time you are having and learning so many new things and meeting all your new friends. I wouldn't worry too much about barking when someone comes to the door. You are doing your guard dog act if they are friends you let them in :lol: if they are not it warns them to stay away. :2012:
Kath, Toby (Balee and Megan - Never out of my thoughts :love2: )
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Sam you are having the time of your life, oh but poor Mum and wasp stings, they are so painful, :bighug: from us for Mum.
We are soooo boring compared to you, it is best my girls do not know what a busy life you are having.
Enjoy and love from us.
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly x
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Well Sam you have been busy and learning so many new things but you sound such a good boy and can tell you love your mum and dad very much.

Love reading your updates and hope your mums ok after the wasp stings.
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
JennyC
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by JennyC »

Hello Sam, I've been away for a week on a sort of holiday as mum and dad had to go to Yorkshire to run a conference or something. I couldn't go with them so I went to stay with Linda and Martin who have 2 dogs and look after others as well. It is fun because we can all play in the garden and in the field, but I was a bit naughty and didnt come back when I was called, well there were too many good smells! :1966: but it is good to be home again, I think mum and dad are really pleased I'm here too. They keep giving me lots of hugs!

Love from Barney :1972:
Jenny, Alfie and Bailey (and Dad!)

jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

Hello everyone.
It's been a little while because mum and dad went away for a few days to see another human sister that I haven't met yet, then to a birthday party in Devon and they took the 'puter with them.
I had a lovely few days with my human sister with the sticky out leg and my sitters who I have wrapped firmly round my paws. One of them described my behaviour as "remarkable". I think that's a good thing.
I've been for walks with one of my sitters and she thinks I'm really good. We met some dogs so I said hello to them nicely.
Then on Sunday my human sister's other dad (it seems that my human sister and me have different dads) his wife (who has the same name as my mum - very confusing!) and a little boy came to see me (or maybe they came to see human sister?). Anyway the other dad loved me to bits, we played and played and played and my human sister thought that if there weren't cats at their house, he'd have kidnapped me. I don't think mum and dad would have liked that much. The little boy was frightened of me though and cried if I went near him.
Then on Monday, mum and dad came back. I was soooo pleased to see them. My tail wagged and wagged and I turned round in circles just let them know how much I'd missed them. Then I sat close to mum's legs and had a proper hug.
I wouldn't let mum go to work this morning until we had a game on the lawn even though she had already taken me for a walk.
When she went to work, human sister was trying to read but I wanted to play. She's not very good at playing fetch though with her sticky out leg so I had to take the ball to her. That's not how I like to play. I like my humans to fetch the ball!
I don't think I've got anything else to tell you so until the next time...
Sam
Jackie
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Lovely to hear about all that you've been up to Sam, you sound like a very busy, friendly boy! And though I can tell you have Mum and Dad wrapped around your paw, its good to let them know how much you missed and love them too - keep up the tail wagging and happy circles :love2:
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Oh Sam you are having so much fun well done on bagging great people who will love you forever xxxx
Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Jane267 »

Sam it sounds like you are having a great time. It's fabulous to hear all about your many new experiences. It brings back so many memories of when Lily first came to live with me. That getting to know you period is so much fun.

Jane and Lily
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hi Sam oh good to hear from you again, we wondered where you were. Well life continues to be very busy for you, all this meet and greet you must be exhausted, also no puter thingy either, how did you cope!!
We hope that it is not too hot for you, Polly has not been well with the heat, so you take care.
Love from us to you.
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly :love2:
kayj
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kayj »

Sam it sounds as if you are having a truly wonderful time,I'm sure the little boy will come to love you in time.

Looking forward to your next update. :love2:

Kay.xx
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

It's been nearly a week so time for another update whether you want one or not!

Weekdays are quite predictable. Human sister is still with us so I feel obliged to wake her at around 5am with a good arm-licking. She doesn't seem to mind. Mum walks me in the morning and then we have a little game before we all have our breakfast and she has to go to work. I am always a good boy while they are eating so I get rewarded with a little leftover for my bowl. EVENTUALLY dad gets up. He's a real sleepy head and when he comes downstairs in his PJs to make a cuppa, I can't understand why he doesn't want to play. It seems he has problems putting one foot in front of the other in the morning! Mum says he's a night-owl whatever one of those is. Mum's like me - she pings awake and sets forth on the day but it takes dad a whole lot more time to get going. Mum says I'm exaggerating and he is usually up and dressed by 9am(ish). Eventually he's ready for us to go out to work in the garden before he takes me for a nice long walk. Then mum comes home and we play again. I have a huge chewy bone that take me a week to get through so when mum and dad finally sit down in front of the box thing with moving pictures, I make a nice big noise bashing the bone against the furniture and trying to get through gaps before I finally settle down for a chew at my bone or a nice loud snoring session. Sometimes I sit and look at mum and she hugs me. She says I have a lovely face and she can't help it.

I've almost stopped mouthing but sometimes I can't help myself so I get sent to fetch a toy so I can have that in my mouth instead of a hand or arm. It is happening less and less now though as is the dribbling when I am super-excited.

I'm going to the vet next Saturday for an injection. My real vet is poorly so I am going to see one of the nice ladies that sometimes work there. Bob whispered through the ether that they are very nice vets so I don't need to be scared. I might still be a bit scared though as they're new people and I'm wary of new people for all of twenty seconds or so.

Mum made me giggle last week. I was a really good boy (as usual) on my walk so she got her phone out to demonstrate on facebook how I walk on a loose lead, sit immediately on command and lie down. She practiced a couple of times first before she got the phone out. So we walked along, she said to sit so I sat, she said "down" so I lay down. She said I was a really good boy. Then she went in the house to post the video on facebook and all she had was a dark screen with rustling sounds. The silly billy hadn't pushed the button to start and when she pushed the button to stop, it started and all she got was the inside of her pocket! She didn't put that on facebook as she would have shown everyone what a silly billy she was.

On Sunday I had more visitors, this time yet another human sister and a human brother. They were great fun. I think it's really good of these humans to come and play with me. We all went for a walk in the afternoon and they thought I was really well behaved.

I've stopped barking at people who are allowed into the house which mum is very pleased about. It didn't take long to teach me not to bark at them.

My big bark frightens some people who come to the door but the chap who delivered all the shopping on Saturday wasn't at all bothered. It was perhaps because I stayed in the kitchen wagging my tail with my huge chew in my mouth so I didn't look as scary as I sounded! Mum thinks its very clever being able to bark with my mouth full.

I met some more dogs who have come to stay in the Cosy Nook. It's really good being able to say hello to all these new doggies through the gate.

Mum's still working on "paw" so I'll have to let you know how she gets on with that one! I think it's just a game so I don't concentrate very hard.

I think that's all for now.

Sam :2379:
Jackie
Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Jane267 »

Sam great to hear your update. So pleased that you have embraced all the new experiences. If I was you, I'd start concentrating on "paw" as it is guaranteed to give your humans pleasure and result in rewards.

Love Lily