Surrendered dog

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Surrendered dog

Post by Glenys »

When dogs come into rescue it can be quite tearful there can be many reasons why dogs are given up and over the years we have dealt with people some going through very tragic circumstances also some who just consider they shouldn't have a dog .
Mostly changes in lifestyle this is particular sad especially when they have a dog from a puppy one such dog was brought in recently reluctant homing of a beautiful older Labrador luckily she was only with us a day and is now settled in a new home .
When they come in I sort through their bag if they have one we usually wash their toys and blankets ready for a new home this time I found the picture below written by a young child and slipped into the dogs bag with some other items.

WE should never forget that there are very often children in families who probably cannot understand that the dog who has grown up with them will have to go away forever,if we know a child is involved we are more than happy to ask a new adopter to send us a photo and an update .

This actually brought tears to my eyes the child is six years old .

Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Surrendered dog

Post by Liz5353 »

Oh Glenys, I am also in tears, it must be such a difficult decision.
I recall taking our first rescue dogs, there was a Lab rescue in our area at that time. I was asked if I would consider taking two, we arranged to see them and we took them rather than split these two lovely black girls.
There were toys, bed and a letter, a couple of days later we replied to the letter, without our address as instructed.
This went on for several years at Christmas and a particular Christmas I decided to telephone her, maybe they had moved I had know idea.
Well she was extremely pleased to hear from me, several months later I rang again, and broke the rules by asking her and her now much older child if they would like to see the girls.
We became very good friends and still are even though it is a very long time since we had to say good bye to her / our beautiful girls..
She was here only 4 weeks ago whilst she was on a visit from her home abroad, she as always takes photos to share with her son who also lives abroad now.
She has told me many times that they got the home she had prayed for, and always thanks us.
Thank you for the amazing job you and all the team do.
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Aw that is so touching Glenys and so sad too. It is such a hard decision but I honestly think those that are strong and brave enough to do it, do it for the right reasons, for the love of the dog. It is also reassuring that they come forward to the rescue rather than putting them on Gumtree and the like - so easy to move them on and not care or know what will happen to them. Families that surrender their dog to the rescue are truly thinking about the welfare of their dog.

Jackie x
Labrador3
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Labrador3 »

100% agree with the previous post.
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

That's twice now, sitting with leaky eyes, just like the first time I read this post.

Glenys, you need to put a warning on these posts................i.e. tissues at the ready.

I will never know how you manage to deal with the ups and downs of the rescue and the emotional side of it. You are an absolute star. Every person I have had involvement with re-homing has said to me what a lovely lady you are. Says it all. :love3:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador