Insurance again !

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Insurance again !

Post by Glenys »

Sadly and not the first time I have heard of an adopter in a worrying situation so ...

When a dog comes in for homing we take them in good faith and hope that if there is a health problem the owner will tell us they sign a form for this unlike many many organisations we do not cherry pick dogs by age and health but if there is a health issue we will disclose it .

We have for many years had our four weeks free Petplan cover this is easy to activate and whilst we are not allowed to promote any particular company personally I have racked up 100s of hours over the years my mantra being here is your four weeks free activate it if you then want to shop around so be it but never plump for the cheapest look at sum assured Vet bill limit etc get cover for life this is a must as illnesses can develop and some will cover it then but then next year exclude that illness .

In the case of a dog with a known health problem we cannot and do not offer the free insurance

I am firstly going to state two experiences :

Some Years ago we had a dog brought in he was about seven sadly his owner had passed away to cancer within a few weeks after homing the dog was diagnosed with Cancer I remembered seeing an insurance policy in the dogs paper work it was petplan and the dog was still insured they were extremely helpful I was advised to ask the executor to the Estate to give permission for the insurance to be assigned to us and all his bills were covered this just one account of many dealing with insurance over many years but it always remains in my advice to owners non of us know what lies ahead some do not need insurances for pets but I see it as among our valuables modest or great I think we rate our dogs higher than our cars for instance I would go as far as to say we cannot put a monetary value on our dogs so why cut corners ? .

Vets are more advanced than ever now but that comes at a cost it takes years to train as a Vet in fact I wish we coud consult a vet for ourselves :) so costs of medicines rise .

The second thing is make sure your family know your wishes regarding your pets should you fall ill tell a freind too as I cannot tell you how a dog is quickly discarded after the death or illness of people ..
I once went to a very nice house many many years ago and met the daughter of a deceased Lady to collect two elderly dogs the daughter was very sad she couldnt keep them WHY ? because her Mum had left the house all her money to a large animal charity and they wouldn't take the dogs .
The two dogs actually ended up staying with me and Sam but that is another story....