When you're glad of insurance

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

When you're glad of insurance

Post by 12_paws »

Both of my boys are 10yrs old now and we have only ever claimed on our insurance once for each boy.....you do wonder sometimes whether to carry on with it. Well, I can only say thank goodness that we did!
Back in February Diesel developed a haematoma on his ear and after it being drained a couple of times over a couple of weeks we were advised surgery would be best and duly took him in, did the consent waited while he had his pre-med and off I went. Two hours later I got an odd sounding call from the Nurse saying they might just drain it again, followed by a further call from the vet informing me his cruciate ligament was ruptured. I said I thought they'd rang the wrong person but no, it seems it had happened whilst there for no apparent reason. I saw the Orthopeadic Surgeon later and as Diesel could not weight bear on the right at all, surgery was performed the next day.
So at the same time we had an ongoing claim for the ear which eventually responded to further draining and steroid injected into flap. and a second for the TPLO cruciate repair.
There were a couple of complications following surgery - Diesel is a big Lab and the sutures at the thigh dissolved far too soon, staples were added but pulled out when the wound became infected, so he had extra vet visits and a shopping list of medications, followed by telephone consultations with emailed pictures during lockdown.
Our Vet offered to accept direct payments from our insurers and Pet Plan have paid for all of this £4k+ promptly and without fuss.
Thirteen weeks post surgery, Diesel was doing very well then 10 days ago I noticed a sudden reluctance to walk when he was pottering in the garden after breakfast and within a couple of hours this was worse. He saw the Orthopaedic Surgeon later and my suspicion that his other leg was ruptured was confirmed as far as it could be without sedation and xray and he is booked for TPLO surgery this wednesday. (We had been told that where there is cruciate disease found as with Diesel, there was a 30 -50% chance this could happen and Vet says 99% sure so I'll go with that!)

The Policy renewed in April and as the boys are now 10yrs, I'll have to pay 20% of the cost this time but my goodness that's better than 100%.
So all I can say is that if you can possibly afford to keep up insurance then do no matter how old your dog is and how well they seem cause you don't know when things might suddenly change and you're going to need it !!
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Re: When you're glad of insurance

Post by LabLover »

Hi Des, poor Diesel he’s had a right rough time bless him :love2:

Thank goodness for insurance certainly worth it if you can afford it, as in the past we have had a few high claims, pet plan are brill.

Hope all goes well today and sending lots of positive and healing thoughts to your boy :bighug: please also give Harley a :bighug:

Thinking of you :love3:

Love
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.