Malcolm update

Discuss anything in here that is NOT dog related.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mcca
Senior User
Senior User

Malcolm update

Post by mcca »

HI all
thankyou for your support

Malcolm came home on friday the back operation has been substantial and he has constant repairing pain and numerous staples due out on wednesday but he can walk with aids and his plumbing is working unfortunately our electric beds have proved to be to low for comfort getting in and out and our high bed isnt electric so malcolm hurt himself trying to pull himself up to get out so we are currently sleeping on the riser reclining chairs in the lounge tommorrow i will ring the local disability care shops to see if they have bed risers in stock and if not will order on the internet for delivery on tuesday i might even try social services you never know they might have some handy but i wont hold my breath Malcolm was in hospital for only 2 weeks but those weeks were very depressing and he ate very little and felt nauseous but saturday and today he has had tasty bites every 2 hours my tried and tested method to get him going and tonight he has shared a chinese takeaway with me not that he had half but progress he has just asked for some cheese and biscuits SUCCESS YYYYEEEEEHHHHHHHH

Anne and the bridge gang
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Malcolm update

Post by Lins »

Hi Anne,

I'm so pleased that Malc is back home with you, it must have been such a harrowing time for you both.

I hope you get some help with the special equipment needed but, sadly, I know what you mean when you say you won't hold your breath.

Sending positive and healing thoughts to Malc and all the strength in the world for you to enable you to stay strong. I think you must have the constitution of an Ox.

Thanks for the update (and Chinese takeaways.) :love3:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Poor Malcom he really has had a rough time. Anne ring your District Nurses team tell them Malcom is struggling to get in and out of bed, they should be able to get something sorted for him, I am very surprised that the occupational therapy team didn't recommend something for him on discharge. Very disappointing service.

Sending lots of healing thoughts for Malcolm I hope he makes a speedy recovery, things sound like they are on the up if his eating is improving, hopefully in a few more weeks he will be eating all of that take away!

Take care of yourself Anne too, you too must be worn out bless you :love3:

Jackie x
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Thank you for letting us know about Malcolm, Anne. Jackie has some good advice for you, so hopefully you'll get somewhere if you follow it. It can't be comfortable having to sleep on chairs - it's not right, so make a fuss and shout for help!

Good news that he's eating! A step in the right direction. You'll have to get some tasty recipes out - give him something he can't refuse!

Make sure you take care of yourself. We're all here to give you all the moral support you need.

Hugs to you both :bighug: :bighug:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

I'm sorry to hear that Malcolm is having trouble with the height of the beds, I know this isn't a long term fix but if you can't get any help from the medical practice or nurses this is what we did for Paul when he had his hip op, the downstairs bed was too low so we put some spare flat paving blocks under each bed leg and they worked a treat - didn't look particularly stylish but they raised the bed enough so Paul could get in and out safely. The blocks were rectangular, about 6 inches by 9 inches by 2 and a half inches, very flat and therefore safe and not wobbly.

Really hope you can get this sorted Malcolm definitely doesn't want to compromise his op I would keep ringing the District Nurses/Doctors etc to get someone to help you. Sending you both buckets of positive thoughts and even more positive thoughts that the powers that be will actually be of help to you.

:love3: for you Anne I sincerely hope this problem can be sorted quickly x
Joan and George x
triomum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by triomum »

Great news that Malcolm is home and starting to feel more like himself - glad he's eating too. Hope you get the bed issue sorted out.

Best wishes xx
mcca
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mcca »

Thanks folks for the advice

I must admit the occupational therapists were great Malcolm would not have been allowed home yet but he convinced them he had collected the things he needed over the last 9 years our current spare bed is very high and we have used it after some of Malcolms ops when he cant lower himself then our other bed is 2 single electric beds put together to make a large double this is great so we dont disturb each other when moving around i put the back up when my breathing is bad and the foot up helps with swollen legs and cramp Malcolm has used the back rest when he has been sleeping upright over the last 3 months what he never realised himself was that the hospital bed was a combination of both of ours We had a tall loo put in when we update the bathroom and it has been great (you wouldnt believe what a miss it is when on holiday) but occupational therapy found Malcolm a frame that fits it so he now has arms on the loo now thats luxury he asked for a zimmer as well as the elbow crutches so he can leave it at the top of stairs when he gets off the stairlift
I rang social services this morning and she said they would order us some bed risers but it would take at least 3-5 days same as argos
anyway betterlife at lloyds pharmacy said they could deliver them tomorrow so i have gone with them roll on tomorrow
Malcolm told them that he could get into the garden through the conservatory but the steps to the drive and garage are a barrier then our front door step is high and wide my daughter plus 2 grandsons had trouble getting him in i think they are going to look at support rails and we are looking at a ramp up to the front door then i could drive to the front door and Malcolm could get in the car but that wont be happening for a while yet i am a great believer in being prepared and am quite angry that we were caught out this time Malcolm and i are both the 5th child born after the war with much older siblings so we have learned from others mistakes my brother waited till he couldnt get up the stairs to buy a stairlift he used it for about a month before he died then his widow had it taken out because she could climb stairs she now lives alone at about 78 i do worry in case she falls down stairs
Today has gone quite well chicken and tiger bread for lunch plus snacks and Malcolm has already asked whats for tea we are on the up

anne and the gang at the bridge
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

mcca wrote:Thanks folks for the advice

I must admit the occupational therapists were great Malcolm would not have been allowed home yet but he convinced them he had collected the things he needed over the last 9 years our current spare bed is very high and we have used it after some of Malcolms ops when he cant lower himself then our other bed is 2 single electric beds put together to make a large double this is great so we dont disturb each other when moving around i put the back up when my breathing is bad and the foot up helps with swollen legs and cramp Malcolm has used the back rest when he has been sleeping upright over the last 3 months what he never realised himself was that the hospital bed was a combination of both of ours We had a tall loo put in when we update the bathroom and it has been great (you wouldnt believe what a miss it is when on holiday) but occupational therapy found Malcolm a frame that fits it so he now has arms on the loo now thats luxury he asked for a zimmer as well as the elbow crutches so he can leave it at the top of stairs when he gets off the stairlift
I rang social services this morning and she said they would order us some bed risers but it would take at least 3-5 days same as argos
anyway betterlife at lloyds pharmacy said they could deliver them tomorrow so i have gone with them roll on tomorrow
Malcolm told them that he could get into the garden through the conservatory but the steps to the drive and garage are a barrier then our front door step is high and wide my daughter plus 2 grandsons had trouble getting him in i think they are going to look at support rails and we are looking at a ramp up to the front door then i could drive to the front door and Malcolm could get in the car but that wont be happening for a while yet i am a great believer in being prepared and am quite angry that we were caught out this time Malcolm and i are both the 5th child born after the war with much older siblings so we have learned from others mistakes my brother waited till he couldnt get up the stairs to buy a stairlift he used it for about a month before he died then his widow had it taken out because she could climb stairs she now lives alone at about 78 i do worry in case she falls down stairs
Today has gone quite well chicken and tiger bread for lunch plus snacks and Malcolm has already asked whats for tea we are on the up

Great news. On the up indeed.

anne and the gang at the bridge
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Anne I'm so pleased to hear that the risers are coming they will make such a difference to Malcolm. I'm also really pleased to know that he's enjoying his meals again, it's so awful when you just don't feel like eating. I hope he continues to get stronger each day and that by the time we have some prolonged warm weather he'll feel like a trip out.

Hope Malcolm enjoyed his tea :love3:
Joan and George x
kayj
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kayj »

Good news that Malcolm is home ,I'm sure he will improve with your loving care Anne.Glad to hear the bed risers will soon be with you which will make life easier for Malcolm.

Continuing to send healing thoughts to Malcolm. :bighug: To you both. :love3:

Kay.xx
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Glad to hear that things are ok Anne. Great news that Malcolm is eating! That's a good sign.

I hope things are on the up for you now, you deserve a smooth run from now on.

Continuing to keep you in my thoughts. :love3:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Sending more healing thoughts to Malcolm, good news that his appetite is returning.
:love3: very best wishes to both of you,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Glad Malcolm is home and starting to get his appetite back, sending more positive and healing thoughts your way :love3:
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

I've not been on the website for a while and was sorry to read when catching up of Malcolm's recent illness. So pleased he is eating again and hope his recovery continues, hope the situation with the bed has been resolved now so that things are easier.

Hilary, Rowley & Douma