Booked a holiday for 2008?

As we all have dogs and may want to take them with us... have you any suggestions for holdiay destinations etc that are dog friendly and where you had a great time?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Booked a holiday for 2008?

Post by jackie »

Now that Christmas is over it is time to book a holiday (well that's what I am told anyway!) and I wondered if anyone has any plans for 2008? We have a holiday booked in the Cairngorms in February but I would love to hear what others have planned and any suggestions that you have for suitable destinations with two labs in tow!

Jackie
BobandAli

Post by BobandAli »

Hi Jackie, we haven't booked one for this year yet but can thoroughly recommend 2 dog friendly cottages in Scotland we stayed in a couple of months ago. The first is called Whinhill Lodge near Loch Ness booked via Cottages4U. Surrounded by forests and streams and 2 1/2 acres of own grounds. A bit pricey but VERY well equipped. The second wasn't as posh a cottage but it was situated on the shore at Colintraive in Argyle. It was called Fairhaven and can be booked through Wilderness Cottages. It has a large escape proof garden and you can actually sit in your own garden watching the seals (and the labs of course) play in the Kyles of Bute, or use your very own gate and steps onto the shore. Great dog- friendly pub and Restaurant nearby. :occasion2: Do a web search and see for yourself.
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Its nice for people to recommend holiday places which are dog friendly so lets get a nice list going
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Thank you all for recommending holiday cottages, pubs etc - I am going to have a busy weekend I think looking at all the ideas! Makes life a lot easier if you know people (and dogs :wink: ) that have had a happy experience and it saves a lot of research.

Jackie xx
Nesslabs

Post by Nesslabs »

Jackie I've just noticed you're going to a cottage in the Cairngorms next month. If you're on the Aviemore side (as opposed to the Braemar side) I recommend going to Loch en Eilean near Inverdruie. There's a good path right round the loch and it's very pretty.

If you want to avoid the car park charges extend your walk by parking in Inverdruie (in a triangle of land opposite visitor centre). Parking there is free and you can walk to Loch en Eilean following a lovely cycle path through woods and past another loch ideal for water dogs taking a dip!

Loch Morlich is another must to visit. There's a lovely dog friendly beach at the east end and a path right round the loch although muddy in places so you'd need boots for that one. If you choose a clear day it's well worth going up the funicular to the Ptarmigan restaurant on Cairngorm. Dogs not allowed on funicular but there are some great walks starting from the ski car park, depending on how energetic you want to be!

The winter can be a lovely time to visit the Highlands - no midgies and very few tourists. Have a great time!

Kathleen
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

In case you have missed the previous posting under a different thread, I have a cottage behind my house. See www.cottageguide.co.uk/cosynook
We welcome all dogs (but especially labradors!) and any bookings through this site may be discounted by 5% and the 5% given directly to the Rescue to help boost the depleted funds.
Jackie
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Thanks for the tips Kathleen, we are Aviemore side so we will pay a visit to Loch en Eilean and Loch Morlich, love the idea of walking right around the loch, dogs will love that no doubt! We are off two weeks on Sat and I am really quite excited. I haven't ever been to this particular part of Scotland, been mostly to the West so it will make a nice change.
Thanks again.

Jackie

P.S Thanks Jackie for letting us know about your Cosynook cottage, it looks lovely. I didn't see the previous thread about this so it is handy to know.
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

Have a wonderful holiday Jackie. I hope that you all enjoy yourselves and that the weather is good to you.
Jackie
kathryn
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kathryn »

At the moment its our static caravan up near the Lakes, just love it up there of course when its not raining!,but great to hear of cottage reccommendations we like to go to one in Culford Suffolk which has its own secure dog proof garden and is very well euipped the owner is also dog mad has 2 labs himself and a GSD.lots of walks for dogs nearby and plenty of pubs too, if you dont fancy cooking...
Nesslabs

Post by Nesslabs »

Here's Tess standing in Loch en Eilean waiting patiently for us to throw a stick - which we wouldn't do as the loch was half frozen! This pic was taken in January two years ago.

jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Fab picture Kathleen, the girls are definitely going to love it :D . I just ordered my new camera too so hopefully I will be able to post some decent pictures of our holiday. Getting really excited now :blob:

Jackie xxx
Nesslabs

Post by Nesslabs »

Your girls will love it - it's lab heaven.

There's a coffee shop in Aviemore above a sports shop which has a log fire burning and does wonderful hot chocolate and home bakes. Undoes all the good of the walking you've done!

Looking forward to seeing your pics when you get back.

Kathleen x
janhind
Senior User
Senior User

Post by janhind »

Beautiful picture kathleen, i love that part of scotland, gorgeous scenery & some lovely places to visit, i prefer this time of the year as i cant stand to much sun or heat and can definately do without the midgies, jan xx
It is never too late.
Alison B

Post by Alison B »

I'm VERY envious! and hungry now! :D

Have a great time

Alison & Rosie XXX