Snowdonia area

As we all have dogs and may want to take them with us... have you any suggestions for holdiay destinations etc that are dog friendly and where you had a great time?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

choccielover
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Snowdonia area

Post by choccielover »

Hoping to book a cottage in Snowdonia area for school hols. Because we'd like to be able to take Oscar with us, I'm keen to know whether things like the steam railways and Portmerion allow dogs - Anyone familiar with the area? Thks, Helen
(adopted Oscar, choc lab from MKF 4/9/07)
Clare

Hi

Post by Clare »

Portmeirion do not take dogs. Ffestiniog Railway do. Snowdon railway do not. I run a B&B in Blaenau Ffestiniog, The Don, so please if you can't find a cottage, come and stay with us. Dogs are welcome. Any other queries please ask. Clare
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Clare email Ian our Webmaster he will put your details on the site for dog friendly places to stay in member services.

Regards Glenys
choccielover
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by choccielover »

thanks Clare - not sure about B&B'ing for 5 of us though - but thanks anyway. I had a look at the portmeirion site this morning and was suprised they don't allow dogs - seems a bit silly to me. With kids I want to make sure that if we take oscar we're not going to be curtailing what we do too much. I'd be happy to walk and relax with a book or 2, and they might - but probably only for one day! Helen
Clare

Post by Clare »

I must admit I was more shocked that Snowdon don't allow dogs on the train. It's totally scuppered my plans for some of our summer days out - was going to go up on train and walk down, but can't now.

Yes, 5 of you might be interesting in the B&B, but the more the merrier! If you go onto i-knowwales.co.uk (I think), they have a list of pet friendly self-catering accommodation too. Not many pubs are doggy here either (you have stay outside), except in Betws or nearly Snowdon itself. Also there won't be any time for reading books - there are so many walks and little paths for "let's see where this goes" adventures.

Some beaches here are dog friendly, usually dogs to one side and people to the other, Black Rock Sands charges £3.00 to go on the beach, but you can park there and it is brilliant for the dogs. Harlech beach is also dogs this way and people that way, and pay for the car park. I will try to find out some more beaches for you.
choccielover
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by choccielover »

that's brilliant - thanks Clare. We have now booked the cottage - unfortunately a week later than we wanted because we dithered before actually getting on and booking it and paying deposit. It's about 7miles south of Abergele and 1 ½ miles from Llanfair Talhaiarn. This will be our first holiday taking a dog with us - but Oscar is so easy I'm really looking forward to it. Just hope there aren't many stiles to try and get him over - even though he's now lost nearly 2 stone he's still very heavy to lift!! Helen
Mad Maisie

Post by Mad Maisie »

Hi Helen,

Would love to know how you get on in Wales and if the cottage is ok.

We would like to go to Wales with our two so any info will be greatly appreciated. Eventhough it's a way off yet - Have a great time!!

Gill, Meg and Maisie

xxxxx
choccielover
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by choccielover »

Hi - i'll certainly report back - I'm really looking forward to the holiday and am now finding out what we can do in the area.
jakelab

Post by jakelab »

I know that the tram in Llandudno definitely takes dogs, most steam railways seem to do these days. Beach in Llandudno is ok on the right hand side as you look at the sea and the same in Colwyn Bay. If you go up the A55 towards Bangor and come off at the conwy Marina sign, turn right over the A55 then left and there is a nioce beach there past the caravan park. Where you are you have easy access to the denbigh moors- lots of lakes etc. Have a good time. 8)
Bonnie, Jess and Toby
choccielover
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by choccielover »

now back from our week in snowdonia. weather wasn't that good but at least it didn't stop us doing anything. Cottage was great - really well equipped and girls enjoyed their taster day at Plas y Brenin doing wall climbing, canoeing and dry slope skiing. They also had a 1/2 day ride out from Snowdonia riding stables. Went on the train from Ffestiniogg to Porthmadog - great beach/coastline, also spent some time on Harlech beach (wonderful) and Kimnel Bay (ok). Oscar loved the beach (pictures will follow at some point), and was as good as gold in cottage and on train. He enjoyed his 4.2mile walk from Betws y Coed which we did while the girls were at Plas y Brenin - I was knackered though!!
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

Glad to hear that you had a good time despite the weather.
What a washout this summer is turning to be! Rain, rain and more rain.
Jackie
xx
smitty
Senior User
Senior User

Post by smitty »

Hi- we take Fudge on all our holidays though as we stay in a caravan accomodation is easy. We take him out with us all the time and find there are far more places that take dogs than not. If we can't take Fudge somewhere we do something else but generally have a great time with him. We find that he is often invited in to places where we though he would not be welcome such as ancient churches and the fishmonger in Lyme Regis! We have found a lot of pubs that welcome dogs even in the bar snack areas.
We may be spending the most of September in Norfolk if anyone has any ideas

Marie