North Ledaig, West coast of Scotland

As we all have dogs and may want to take them with us... have you any suggestions for holdiay destinations etc that are dog friendly and where you had a great time?

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Emma T
Senior User
Senior User

Re: North Ledaig, West coast of Scotland

Post by Emma T »

We are so tempted to head up that way with Poppy and Barney at May half term, I have a real urge to head back up to Scotland and the West Coast, anyone know of any campsites (tents)/ little cottages for 2 (and dogs?) near a beach? We went to Lewis a few years ago and absolutely loved it. This thread has got me dreaming of summer and visiting nice places now. Today has felt springlike too, roll on Summer :bounce:

Julie you are so lucky to live somewhere so beautiful!
Emma
lucy73
Senior User
Senior User

Post by lucy73 »

Hi Emma, We're booked to stay in a 2 bedroom cottage near Julie (triomum) in second week of May and second week of September. We went last year in March and it was wonderful. Either of the two cottages allow dogs and its just 2 minutes walk from the beach. Look at the road to the isles website or google eigg cottage morar or rum cottage morar and you should find them I think. We're staying in Rum cottage this time as the interior is really lovely but Eigg was nice too.
Lucy, Lesley & Tasha xx
triomum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by triomum »

Hi Emma

The two cottages Lucy mentioned are great and take dogs though if you want to camp I'd recommend Camus Darach campsite (it's a minute up the road from us) - the showers/toilet blocks are lovely and it is virtually on the beach - a 2 minutes stroll down the path and through the dunes and you are on the beach (the one that was featured in Local Hero). The people who own the campsite are very 'doggy' and have 3 (one's a lab of course!) and I think they are opening a tea shop on it this year too. If you google 'Road to the Isles', you will find the web site for the area which has all kinds of accommodation on it.

Look forward to seeing you soon!! :1952:

Julie, Nina, Jas & Dylan
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

triomum wrote:Hi Emma

The two cottages Lucy mentioned are great and take dogs though if you want to camp I'd recommend Camus Darach campsite (it's a minute up the road from us) - the showers/toilet blocks are lovely and it is virtually on the beach - a 2 minutes stroll down the path and through the dunes and you are on the beach (the one that was featured in Local Hero). The people who own the campsite are very 'doggy' and have 3 (one's a lab of course!) and I think they are opening a tea shop on it this year too. If you google 'Road to the Isles', you will find the web site for the area which has all kinds of accommodation on it.

Look forward to seeing you soon!! :1952:

Julie, Nina, Jas & Dylan

I'll second your recommendation on the campsite, Julie. I stayed on it and it was excellent. I was visiting my nephew who was the greenkeeper at Traigh golf course at the time. The beach is magnificent and the dogs loved it.
Love,
Aileen xx

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
Emma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Emma T »

Thank you very much for your suggestions, I am off to google them now! x
Emma
Emma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Emma T »

Hooray, we are booked in to Camusdarach campsite for the week! Can't wait, it looks so beautiful and the area sounds fantastic for wildlife too. Barney adores the beach and sea and I am sure little sister will grow to love it too! Julie, maybe we will see you about! Thank you so much Julie, Lucy and Aileen for your recommendation. If you can recommend any nice places to eat too that would be great :1956: . Fingers crossed for good weather as we are in our tent. x
Emma
triomum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by triomum »

Hi Emma

When are you coming?

The Cafe Rhu in Arisaig does really nice lunches and evening meals and the Glenfinnan Hotel (about 25 mins away) has a lovely bar and the food is delicious - you often get local people in and they just bring in their fiddles, guitars and accordions and play away! The other place to go is over to Knoydart - the little ferry goes from Mallaig and it takes about 20 minutes - dogs are allowed - and there's a pub there - The Old Forge - the most remote pub in mainland Britian and the food is to die for. Mmmmm - I'm hungry now!

Does this mean to say we get to see Poppy puppy?????

Hope to see you soon.

Julie, Nina, Jasper & Dylan
Emma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Emma T »

Hi Julie

Thanks for the info, and yes Miss Poppy-puppy will be with us, two labs in a small tent :1966: , will be fun! We are coming for Whitsun week. The lady at the campsite sounded lovely and I told her her site had been recommended on here. I am so excited and have been looking on the Road to the Isles site for ideas for days out, obviously we can't do too much walking as Poppy will only be 5 months. Are dogs allowed on the little ferries to the islands? x
Emma
triomum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by triomum »

Hi Emma

There is the Skye ferry (Calmac) which allows dogs - you have to sit outside with them but it's only a 25 minutes crossing. Calmac also go to the Small Isles (Eigg, Rum, Muck and Canna) too. There is also a passenger ferry from Arisaig (the Shearwater)- it goes to Eigg, Muck and Canna and allows dogs too. This is a good one to get as Ronnie and Angus who run it are always on the look out for whales, basking sharks and dolphins and will stop the boat for you to watch them if they see any. Calmac don't do that!!!

Julie