Roly's 1st Gotcha Day 9/8/15

Celebrate the birthday or gotcha day of your 4-legged friends

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Labrador3
Advanced User
Advanced User

Roly's 1st Gotcha Day 9/8/15

Post by Labrador3 »

Following the loss of our chocolate lab Bruno last year my wife and I realised that we couldn't live without a Labrador in our lives. We discovered this website and following a holiday in Greece, we were adopted by Roly, who has gone on to fill big hole in our lives. It hasn't all been plain sailing over the past year, but Roly has made such good progress since he came to live with us.
He travels very well in the car now after we got one of those guards that fit between the front seats. In the early days he wanted to sit in my lap as I drove!......not very safe! But now he lies down quietly on the back seat and seems to enjoy the ride (not surprising as he is usually going somewhere nice).
In the early days he was very strong on the lead but walks very nicely now with a Gencon collar, which we would recommend to anyone. Even my mother-in-law who is almost 80 has no problem walking him.
His recall is much improved too from the early days. One day he ran off and was lost for almost half an hour. I was panicking by this point when another dog owner asked if I was looking for a black lab. When I said "yes" he said "he is playing in the river having a great time!" I should have known really that Labradors love the water! These days he likes a good sniff around when off the lead but we can trust him to come when called.
The biggest problem we have had to overcome was that he was described as "not used to other dogs", which we knew about. He wanted to be friendly and play with every dog he met but the problem was that he didn't really know how to behave around other dogs and doggy etiquette, which would sometime get him into trouble. Now, after a lot of patience (and a few setbacks), he has made several doggy friends who he often meet on his walks. Although he is wary around big dogs he has even made friends with Rosie, a neighbour's black lab from MKF, after they didn't get on at first.
Roly is very well behaved around the house and loves to play. He has recently discovered the "slipper" game where he runs off with a slipper so that you will chase him. The problem is that he often tries to do it while I'm wearing them!!!!!!
We take him out with us whenever we can and he has been on holiday with us several times already in dog friendly hotels. He has stayed in the Lakes, Wales and Yorkshire so far and seems to enjoy the walks and fresh air very much. He is very well behaved and we have found that other dog lovers like to hear his story. We remember Glenys saying just before we took him through the "Happy Gate" (love that expression!) that Roly just needed to be loved. Well, we can assure you that he really is and that he is happy and settled in his forever home. I'm signing off now and I'm going to see if he wants to go a walk down the fields where we live. What do you think the answer will be?
Bye for now.
Steve and Carolyn.
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Roly's 1st Gotcha Day 9/8/15

Post by 12_paws »

A very happy 1st Gotcha to handsome Roly!
Just looked up his homing post, he looks lovely. It's great to hear how well he has settled with you, sounds like he chose well! :2379:
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

:2806: Happt 1st Gotcha Day Roly :2806:

Have a wonderful day tomorrow. I'm sure you will. Just don't go looking for water on your own. :1967:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

HAPPY 1ST GOTCHA DAY ROLY

:2811: :2799: :2811:

:bighug: :2379: :2379: :2379: :bighug:

Hilary, Tuppence, Rowley & Douma
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Well Roly it sounds as if you chose very well
Happy 1st Gotcha Day tomorrow
:2811: :2811: :2806:
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly n Polly xx
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

Happy 1st gotcha day tomorrow Roly :bighug:

Hope you have a lovely day :2803:
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
Megsmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Megsmum »

:2799: HAPPY 1ST GOTCHA DAY ROLY! :2799:
My, you are a good-looking lad! :love2:
Enjoy your special day and please thank your owners for the lovely update!
:bighug: :bighug: from us xx
Helen and Merry x

Remembering my beautiful Meg 1992-2008 and my darling Mollie 2009-2018
Morticia1162
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Morticia1162 »

:2811:

A very happy first gotcha Roly. :2799:

Lots of love Janet Pat Barney and Lola. Xxxx
Lots of love, Janet, Pat, Barney & Lola xxxx
Debsalabradora1
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Debsalabradora1 »

Really enjoyed reading your post.

Happy 1st Gotcha Roly - that slipper game sounds fun :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Debs, Millie and Poppy (and Pippi).xx

My dogs, in my heart and mind forever....
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

HAPPY 1ST GOTCHA DAY ROLY :2799:

Roly sounds as if he's got his paws well and truly under the table :rofl: He sounds like a real character I love the idea of him wanting to retrieve your slippers whilst you're wearing them :rofl: :rofl: I also have a mental picture of Roly trying to sit on your lap as you were driving :2008: would like to have seen that. :1967:

Enjoy your special day Roly.

Joan and George x
Joan and George x
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

What a lovely post, Roly has certainly gone through the Happy Gate, it sounds like he has had a wonderful year.

:2821: Happy 1st Gotcha Roly! :2821:

Jackie x
Labrador3
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Labrador3 »

Thanks for all the nice messages. Roly has had a nice day out with us today and enjoyed a walk down the Leeds/Liverpool canal (and stayed out of the water!).Sorry no pictures to go with the post. We never did get our heads around photobucket and now are trying to get used to a new laptop!........ One day soon we hope!
Steve, Carolyn and Roly
Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

Happy 1st Gotcha Day Roly it sounds like you had a great day :2799: :2811: :2803:

Ann x
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador