Biscuit

Discussions, hints and tips on how to keep your four legged friend in the best possible condition

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Biscuit

Postby Surfer 9 » 25 Mar 2017, 12:43

BIscuit, whom I have had for just over two weeks has a habit of eating poop. Can anyone tell me why she would do this. Is there something lacking in her diet perhaps?
Thanks
Surfer 9
New User
New User

Re: Biscuit

Postby Harold + Pat » 27 Mar 2017, 20:07

Hi,
Bess our current Lab. shows no interest in poo but Sam our previous Lab loved cat poo, cow poo, sheep poo, rabbit poo, you name it he would eat it. We never found a way to stop him so had to keep a close eye on him off the lead ( easier said than done)He would also roll in it, particularly liked the human variety! to be found in the woods near Arnside usually in discarded nappies. He thought he smelt wonderful, we loved him though at times we didn't want to be near him. Anyway it's nothing you are doing wrong, just a greedy lab trait.

Pat f1 :
Harold + Pat
New User
New User

Postby Surfer 9 » 27 Mar 2017, 20:35

Thank you Pat.
Surfer 9
New User
New User

Postby coco-bean » 27 Mar 2017, 22:54

Hello from here

We have 2 girls Coco who will eat horse, cow and sheep poo, never ever rolled in anything. but Kinder "yuck" she ate her own poo as a tiny puppy, she has stopped that now but will eat poo on walks not dog poo but anything else, I have caught her twice eating something..... I know what it looked like but makes me feel *SICK* thinking about it. Like Pat said think it's just a disgusting habit, however when I asked Kinders breeder she did tell me her mum and sister are poo eaters. Kinder rolls in fox poo too.

Hope this helps and it's good to know you are not alone :1967:
Debbie, Coco & Kinder X

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or two
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Postby 12_paws » 28 Mar 2017, 18:30

I've been lucky with my boys so far but I think from what friends tell me, a fair few dogs find poop a delicacy though they have had females - not sure if that's relevant or just coincidence. One friend used to give her girl pineapple to eat which was supposed to discourage the snacking. The Labrador site has quite a good article you mind find interesting http://www.thelabradorsite.com/why-dogs ... #pineapple,
Des x
Desley
Diesel & Harley x x
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Surfer 9 » 31 Mar 2017, 12:23

Thank you Coco Bean and 12 paws.

I shall have to work on the leave command and see how we get on!!!
Surfer 9
New User
New User

Postby Labrador3 » 29 Jun 2017, 10:50

Just came across this interesting post. All 3 of our labs have eaten poo at some time but never their own. We keep the garden clear, but our problem has been while out walking off-lead. Not all dog owners clean up after their dogs unfortunately.
I read something about dog food being designed to taste so delicious that it it still attractive after coming out of the other end! Not much we can do about that other than working on re-call......a nice treat works for us most of the time, labradors love to eat!
Labrador3
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Postby Surfer 9 » 26 Jul 2017, 15:26

Biscuit has been for her spey today. Vets have just phoned to say all is well and I can collect her in about an hour or so. Here's hoping she will forgive me!!!
Surfer 9
New User
New User

Postby Joe + Hilary » 26 Jul 2017, 22:22

I'm sure Biscuit was fine after her op., but you will have been very pleased to have her home.

Hilary, Rowley and Douma
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Diesel Kate » 27 Jul 2017, 11:46

Disgusting habit, both mine eat all poo, no matter what people say there is no cure or remedy, you just have to be on the ball and hopefully catch them at it.

Dirty little Buggers f1
Kath, Balee & Megan
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Postby Surfer 9 » 28 Jul 2017, 14:26

Well, Biscuit is still trying to eat the poo! Tried all sorts but nothing works except my vigilance which fails on so many levels!!!
Surfer 9
New User
New User

Return to Health and wellbeing