The Cyprus two again

A special story about a dog in a pound that would not leave her box - follow her story as she grows into a beautiful princess and learns to trust

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

The Cyprus two again

Post by Glenys »

I had a long phone chat with Kareen my Sister in Law last night re the dog s coming over as you may know Tamsin is now safely In a lovely boarding kennel and they are doing a special rate as we are supporting her and her flight to UK.

Kareen was telling me when she came in originally no one thought she would live each day they expected she would be dead in her little box her safe place she refused to come out she wouldn't eat she just went into herself.
The only one she seemed to trust was Kareen so the Vet said you need to get her out she had to inject her so she had to be shown what to do then she literally had too drag her out by her scruff and the needle was quite large to get the fluid into her it hurt Tamsin and she cried and so did Kareen but she started to get better and now she is wonderful.

No one expected it she is enjoying life too and is so loving she is to be spayed now she is stronger and will most likely be coming here in June.

Little Reggie was poorly but he is getting better every day.

Now the nitty gritty we need to fund a box for her to travel in so she can land at Manchester or Yorkshire no problem re box but if an extra £30 is paid the box can return to Cyprus to help another dog .
We need a volunteer to meet Tamsin when she arrives and bring her here its a big ask I know but all fuel costs met and no dates arranged yet.

The pound in Cyprus is in desperate need Kareen said its heart-breaking I asked what they need she said collars etc I said what about toys? OH NO the dogs fight can you believe that up to three strange males can be crammed into cages together.
The council provide the basic things like Vets but the housing is awful so she also mentioned in the rain there is no shelter or in the sun so they have basic plastic kennels I've asked for a photo.

These plastic kennels can be bought for 100 euro each they only have a few that were donated they need wormers and flea treatment too.

I have to say typing this I am in tears I want to help I've asked her to draw up a wish list of things that can be sent up to 2 kilos its ok by royal mail anything heavier is expensive but does anyone know any couriers that go to Cyprus can someone check?

I know people may think its wrong to try to help but these volunteers over there face heartache every day I couldn't do it :cry3:
dogs have no rights in Cyprus and people move there then leave and abandon the dogs.

I'm inviting opinion on this as some of our supporters have been in agreement that we help obviously there are two maybe three coming over I'm not expecting to do this too often as we have big commitment here .

Tamsin in her little box

Happy at last Tamsin

Glenys Fryer(Coordinator)

Email: labrador.rescue@btinternet.com

Gina Boyd(Coordinator)
Telephone: 07572 438871 (Available Between 10am - 7pm)
Email: ginaboyd2021@outlook.com

Carole Fairhurst(General Enquiries)
Telephone: 07377 215996 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email: C.fairhurst@ymail.com

Lin Jackson(General enquiries)
Telephone: 07507 646082 (Available Calls between 10am to 5)
Email:
baileysmum
Senior User
Senior User

Re: The Cyprus two again

Post by baileysmum »

I am sure you can set up a wish list on Amazon which you could add items to i.e collars, food, etc and then people can view the list and make a purchase direct and the item will be shipped straight to the rescue in Cyprus if that is the address that you put in.

Items of varying prices could be added to the list so people can choose how much to spend.
I think that any one can view the wish list by typing in the search with a name so for instance if the wish list was called "LRNW - Cyprus".

You may have to set up a seperate account with regards to the shipping address

If the items are shipped straight to rescue this will cut down on postage etc and even better if easy fundraising can be used also.

I am not absolute positive how it works but I can look into if you like or maybe someone else on here know how it all works.
A dog wags its tail with its heart.
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

:cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

This is truly heartbreaking reading, Glenys.

It may divide opinion, but I think it's very hard to turn your back on this. I know we can't help every dog in the world, but just now and again it can't be a bad thing?

Rescue dogs in this country have far better conditions to live in than these poor souls. When you think about the fact that they get toys, treats, the best quality food...these poor dogs are struggling even for the basics.

Wormers, flea treatment and collars isn't too much to ask. Would they be better being given the money to buy over there, or is it cheaper to make up parcels from here and send them over?
I've no experience or knowledge of couriers, but if anyone knew of anyone going out there on holiday, that would be an ideal way of getting goods to them. If ordinary post is used, 2kg is a decent weight when you think of boxes of flea and wormer - they're very light. Collars weigh very little as well. What else is on their wish list?

Fingers crossed someone living near either Manchester or Leeds Bradford (I presume that's the Yorkshire airport) will be able to help with collecting Tamsin. She'll get to Rescue, one way or another!
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Good idea Karen and Marge.

I came under a lot of critism (sp) when we started helping the Irish dogs .people pointing out that there were labs in pounds in the uk etc but we have not put the Irish dogs before the uk dogs we took them when we had quiet spells and some lovely dogs came over and made people very happy too who can forget the picture of dear Paddy Jan Hinds adopted dog and then the happy ever after this is on our special stories section.
Sadly we had to stop taking them when we got so busy again in April we were averaging almost one a day coming in and going out .

Tamsin isn't a full lab so we will call her a Cyprus lab/retriever and when she comes people will love to follow her story and without a doubt there will be a feel good factor for the dedicated ladies in Cyprus.

Many a time I receive an anonymous letter either with a little cash or cheque it simply says do with this what you think is best help a dog that says to me that people trust us too not waste their hard earned money.
I am an open book I say what I think and the love of dogs doesn't just stretch to easy peasy I would pay the fights from my own money but some good Samaritans have send the most welcome gifts to help these couple of dogs .

I think the amazon Idea is good or like marge says make up a parcel of wormers but obviously good ones .

Maybe this Christmas we could ask for something to comfort these dogs who have nothing really I could have wept when Kareen said they didn't give them toys but understood completely.

Thanks to our supporters dogs here have toys they have treats pigs ears a new collar when needed comfy bedding cleaned and washed everyday and three acres to play in we are truly blessed and are very very grateful that you make it possible for us to do that
Yesterdays Batleys food and treats and stuff came to £194.55 that's about months worth .

So I feel that we can at the very least keep the Paralimini Pound dogs in our hearts

Gina Boyd(Coordinator)

Email:
littleorp2
Senior User
Senior User

Post by littleorp2 »

Have sent an email 're transfer
littleorp2
Senior User
Senior User

Post by littleorp2 »

Have not been able to send email as I said I would. Basically I would most likely be able transport Tamsin from Manchester airport to you with no travelling expenses needed.
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

We live close to Manchester Airport and could also help bringing Tamsin to you if dates/times don't suit with littleorpe 2. No expenses needed for us either.

Alison x
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Wow fantastic thank you so much more news when I get it xx

Gina Boyd(Coordinator)

Email:
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

Fantastic! We would have offered if no-one else could have done it, but we're quite a long way away.

Hearts of gold, the folks on here :love3: :love3:
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Patmar
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Patmar »

Hi Glenys
I have pm you re Cyprus

Pat xx
nanagran
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by nanagran »

Grandson and I will do another carboot in a couple of weeks in aid of these dogs and donation bucket if that is ok with Glenys.
I think a wish list on amazon is a great idea and will happily buy what I can.
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

Every dog deserves a second chance of love and happiness, no matter where they come from.
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
Melliott
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Melliott »

Glenys, will e mail you re Yorkshire transfer.

Love Michelle X
Labradors laugh with their tails
A Labradors face feels like home
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

I was sorry when you stopped helping the Irish dogs but understood why. I am here and cannot help rescue so cannot say things really. I feel you are doing the right thing to help the Cyprus Two and to continue to help the rescue there in whatever small way you can. I have sent a donation for the Two and will send something whenever I can for UK or Cyprus or whatever you are spending it on.

I feel for the volunteers in Cyprus as I do for the people here for some of the French dogs. I'd like to have them all sent to you also - you find homes.

Where would these dogs be without people who care enough to make such efforts on their behalf. The lady who adopted the dog I fostered in 2012 has a mum who went to India in 2000, saw the state of the dogs there and set up a rescue! Built it!. She has just had to give it up due to ill health. Cahors was helping her daughter publisise the Indian dogs "Mum" was fetching to France with her for rehoming. Some people amaze me and thank goodness for them.

You do what you feel you have to and can do Glenys. I am sure most people would support you in that.

Hilary, Tuppence & Rowley
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Good news Pat ( patmar) is going to Cyprus at the end of may she is willing to take up to 12 kilos of items and will drive over to meet Kareen isn't this excellent ?

Gina Boyd(Coordinator)

Email: