Dexter

If you are new to the site pop in here and say hello - We are a friendly bunch!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

andreac123
New User
New User

Dexter

Post by andreac123 »

Hello, we are the new owners of Dexter who is settling into his new life very well
He has been really good in the house and has made lots of new doggy friends on his walks, however he is not very good at traveling getting very upset and anxious but it is something we will work on so he can enjoy his holidays, any advice would be welcome thank you
He
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Dexter

Post by Joe + Hilary »

Congratulations on adopting Dexter. Lovely to hear he's settling well and has made doggy friends already. I'm sure with time he will overcome the fear of traveling, it may just be he needs to get used to the jny leading to something pleasant and he always gets to go home. Good luck with him on that issue and enjoy. Look forward to hearing about him sometimes.

Hilary, Rowley & Douma
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

I would try very short journeys, extending them over a period of time. If you have a favourite walk that only takes a short time, it would help to build his confidence. I had to do this with Big Scooby and I eventually got to the stage where I just wish he'd stop snoring so that I could hear the car radio.

Wishing you a long and happy life together. Please keep us posted.
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
mcca
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mcca »

Perhaps right now he is afraid he is going to kennels again i agree short journeys to somewhere really nice or round the block and back home to get him settled we always give jess a piece of kibble when she gets in the car when we open the boot so she waits and doesnt jump out and again when we go home 4 bits of kibble but a settled dog when we first got her she just jumped out and ran then she was frightened to come back to us in case she got wrong

anne and jess
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

Congratulations on adopting Dexter and I hope you have lots of fun together. If I were you I would start by putting Dexter in the car without going anywhere, letting him settle down and relax with a few treats and plenty of praise if and when he settles. If you have somewhere secure you could leave the boot/door open so he can just sit in it. Then just do a very short journey, say round the block and home, giving him treats when he's calm not anxious. Keep doing it and once he's ok with that extend the length of the journey. Try to ignore him when he's anxious and only reward him when he's calm. It may take some time but we had success with an abused lab who would happily get in the car then get very anxious on the journey and panic totally when my niece arrived at the destination, so much so that my niece could not get him out. (He'd been beaten when taken on shoots). We made the car a safe place, even feeding him in there then extending it to feeding him when he got out of the car. Obviously you can't take him for a long walk if you've just fed him but It did work but took a while.

Keep us posted I'm sure others will have some good tips on what worked for them.
Joan and George x
andreac123
New User
New User

Post by andreac123 »

Update on Dexter
We have been taking him with us in the car at every opportunity so he associates the car with somewhere good at the end ie walks or visits to friends.
We have now got him happily jumping into the car but insists on squeezing through the mesh dog guard and wanting to sit next to you, at the moment I am having to sit in the back with him but am doing alterations to the dog guard this weekend to stop him jumping over at least he's not bothered traveling anymore so have at least made some progress.
Will see what happens when he is confined.
Watch this space
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Congratulations on adopting handsome young Dexter!
Good to read that you have made progress with travelling already, sounds like Dexter is a fast learner and riding in the car is just a new experience for him..... a tip I was given some years ago when a youngster kept jumping through was to drive slowly around the block in a safe area, keeping an eye on him in the mirror and saying a sharp 'no' at the first sign of him squirming through. If that didn't work, then pull over, take him off of the back seat and put him back into the luggage area. It took a few turns of going round the block start-stop and I'm sure the neighbours wondered what on earth was wrong with my driving :1968: but he got the idea in the end. The same advisor suggested a brief squirt with a water pistol if the 'no' didn't work but I didn't try that bit as didn't want to risk putting my lad off of the car.
Sure Dexter will soon settle,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

Well done so far! Sounds like you've made good progress. I'm sure you'll soon get him staying in the back. Hope your alterations to the dog guard work.

Hilary, Rowley & Douma
andreac123
New User
New User

Post by andreac123 »

Latest update on Dexter is that the dog guard is now escape proof but he was most annoyed and was like a toddler having a tantrum by barking and yapping constantly so therefore everytime we go out he goes too and I think he's finally getting the message that he is there to stay.
The periods of quiet are hopefully getting longer , he is just a baby trying to get his own way , ha ha it's not happening.
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Welcome from us also and we are pleased that Dexter is doing well, but we all know that it does take time for our new boys and girls to settle and feel secure.
Lots of luck
Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly n Polly :2379: