A dog named Tom

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

A dog named Tom

Post by Glenys »

This is a story Of a dog who I rescued at the beginning of my rescue days one of many I never knew then how many but this is Toms Story.

Some years ago when I first came into rescue I was called to a kennels to look at a stray lab,what I saw was so sad an old black lab squashed up in a tiny bed he had his back to us all hope seemed lost to him ,I went in and talked to him and he got up on his spindly wobbly legs,he went straight for the door,I said i would take him but they said I couldnt collect him till wednesday till his 7 days were up
.I said well get him a proper bed then and I went to my car got him a blanket and made a large sign THIS DOG WILL BE PICKED UP WEDNESDAY BY LABRADOR RESCUE !
And I pinned it on his kennel door (the kennels had known to put dogs down early :cry: I bent down to the lab and looked in his grey face I said only two more days Son and you will come with me,I threatened the lad in charge I said he had better not be put down.

Sam and I walked away sam said glenys what on earth will we do with him who will want him,I said I will want him.
I was there when they opened wednesday and took him home,
We took him to our Vets and asked the vet his honest opininion he said well he needs some weight on he is very old and he needs some tablets lets give him a week and re asses him ,the week later the vet didnt recognise him and he now had a new name " Old Tom " because he reminded me of a dignified old soldier,he managed another five months before he passed away.
He made a home with us he also made us laugh a lot as he would see sam getting chocolate out of the drawer and follow him in wait for a piece then when all the choc was gone go back in his bed,some days he would stare over the fields and I would look at his face and say to him I wish you could tell us where you have been and what life you have had.

We used to buy him a packet of mars bars a week and write on them "TOMS" DO NOT TOUCH " . we would cut them up and squash his PLTs in them we called them Toms poorly leg tablets.

He was a truly special dog he didnt have long with us but at least he didnt die in a stray kennel sad and lonely his last days he was loved by us and happy.

When I question myself sometimes about rescue I think of Tom and other dogs like him other thousands dogs in 18 + years and then I know why we must keep up the work

Dog with No Name

Who will take this dog with no name? Will anybody? it seems such a shame.
He seems very old to me, with cloudy eyes that struggle to see
They said they didn’t know who’s he was
That was a lie , you could tell because
He started after them when they walked out
he panicked not knowing what it was all about
They signed him in without backward glance
Who would give this old boy a chance?

Discarded ,maybe for a Christmas pup
I call to him, he looks up
Well lets go old fella and seal your fate!
I hesitate at the kennel gate
No Wait ! I‘ll take you home with me
Age is not on your side you see.

Who will take this dog with no name?
I will ! it seems such a shame
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

Oh Glenys, what a lovely story and how lucky Old Tom was to have had your love in the last few months of his life.
Love,
Aileen xx

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
Flinty
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Flinty »

Glenys,

both Old Tom and I am glad there are people like you in this world.

x
A fat dog is just a puppy with a coat on!
Alison B

Post by Alison B »

Glenys,
I've often wondered how you keep going with all the aggravation and awkward people you must meet in the course of Rescue.
After reading Old Tom's story, I now realise your an angel :angel4:
Thank You for all you do for these lovely dogs

Alison XXX