My Golden boy Samson

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

My Golden boy Samson

Post by Glenys »

From Adrian:

It was about 10 days before Xmas when Glenys rang me to ask if I could foster a dog for a few weeks until the New Year, as he was an old boy, and his owner was so distressed at having to give him up, and didn't want him to go into kennels (no matter how nice!).

I was really happy to help, and was looking forward to having a dog around over the festive season,'cos otherwise it would have been me with a turkey dinner for one. I went off to collect Sam from Derbyshire, and was completely clear in my mind that it was ONLY FOR A FEW WEEKS .....well you can guess what's coming!

All I knew about him was that he was 13 and a half years old, so I was expecting a very quiet, stately old gent, maybe a bit doddery on his paws......not Sam!!!

He turned out to be a real livewire, a bundle of energy, incredibly fit for his age, and so well trained, and looked after by his owners right since he was a pup - always well exercised and never allowed to get overweight at all.

I won't go into why his owner had to give him up, but it was very emotional for all concerned.

So Sam arrived back home with me, and it took me, oh, a whole 24 hours to decide that I'd have to join the ranks of 'failed fosterers'! He won me over completely with his sense of fun, his vitality, his affectionate and gentle nature and the way he settled in and coped with his totally different surroundings. I just knew I couldn't see him go to anyone else.

And nothing has changed since - he's such a wonderful companion, he runs round like a lunatic on walks, chasing after sticks and diving into streams. In fact several other Lab owners have thought he was a puppy, from seeing his antics, and only realised close up that he is in fact the oldest pup on the park!

He's really changed my life for the better, and I think he is happy with me. Also, I am close enough for his original owner to come over to take him out for a walk every now and then, which I think has helped her in coming to terms with the very difficult decision to give him up for adoption. Definitely fate stepping in when Glenys decided to give me a call!

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Adrian this is a wonderful and that you allowed to owner to keep in touch I know it was a heartbreaking situation .

Thank you for being their for this 13 year old PUPPY :)

Some times fate takes a hand in rescue and dogs thinks are simply meant to be .

Glenys x
samsung
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by samsung »

:wink: :o
what a wonderfull story, we also have a bouncy SAM still in Derbyshire & have walked many a mile in the last 10 weeks ...
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

hank you for sharing your story with us Adrian, Sam is just gorgeous and it sounds like you to were meant to be together. It must have been heartbreaking for Sam's family to part with him but very comforting to know that Sam has found himself a new loving owner and a forever home in his twilight years (or not as they case may be - he looks incredibly fit!)

May you spend many more happy years together.

Jackie x
janhind
Senior User
Senior User

Post by janhind »

just look at the life in that face, gorgeous boy, no wonder you couldnt let him go, i would have had to do the same, fostering is the one thing that nobody minds failing, cos it means the dogs are loved, jan xx
It is never too late.
nicky181

Post by nicky181 »

:) What a lovely story and he looks so happy - he doesn't look his age at all. This is a lovley ending and a very happy dog

Nicky x
benjiesmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by benjiesmum »

Oh, I agree what a happy story this is. He looks to be a really happy chappie too. :D