Pepper

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doogal

Pepper

Post by doogal »

Well we only lasted a few days after our beloved Lucy died aged 3 years. The house was desolate without a dog and not at all homely. I suppose I was used to guide dog pups...the same day one left at 1 year old, another one arrived at 6 weeks , so the house was never empty.

We weren't sure whether it would be too soon to get another, because we were still so upset about Loo, but we desperately wanted another dog, so we picked Pepper up from MKF 3 weeks ago today. Initially it was very difficult and she was very wary of us at first and would not have anything to do with me at all. She was very unsure of strangers, especially men and other dogs too, but she is doing well now. There are loads of comings and goings in our house, both people and dogs, so she has just had to get used to it! Everybody makes a fuss of her if she lets them! Its difficult not to compare her to Lucy all the time (who of course was the brightest & best dog on the planet!) but shes slowly responding to the training we are giving her.

She loves her walks, especially on the beach, (hope to bump into you soon Glenys & Kathryn...shes already dined at the cafe....Dogs Welcome, People Tolerated!) She loves her stomach, and rarely puts her brain in gear, so shes definitely a "proper" lab! She is affectionate, and a playful side of her is just beginning to emerge, although she hasn't got a clue how to retreive.

As has been said, we felt like throwing in the towel after a few days, but you cant expect them to settle into a completely new environment, with a new regime and completely new people in their lives overnight. Our patience and time is being rewarded with loads of affection and fun now that she accepting us and we are bonding. Shes a lovely dog

Image Image
kathryn
Senior User
Senior User

Post by kathryn »

Thanks for the update Richard, caravan season starts Saturday so hopefully shall see you soon, definately up at Easter,as you say it does take time in fact even with a pup it takes time they need to settle in and get to know your routine...keep us posted on her progress wont you, we always like to hear how they settle....
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Lovely update on Pepper Richard, and I am so sorry to hear about Lucy. Pepper looks beautiful and I am so pleased that she has found her forever home.

Good luck and enjoy her...they are never with us long enough.

Jackie x
janhind
Senior User
Senior User

Post by janhind »

Thanks For the update Richard, Pepper looks really happy and I'm sure as time goes on she will really make herself at home, Lucy's passing at such a young age will have left a huge gap in your lives, which i am sure with time Pepper will help to fill, keep the pics coming we love to see them jan xx
It is never too late.
Lucy
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Pepper

Post by Lucy »

She is beautiful and glad she has settled in ok.

Lucy
xx
Gemma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Gemma T »

That's a wonderful piccie of her running! She looks like she's having a ball!

Glad she's settling in well, and hope she making the awful loss of Lucy just that little bit easier to bear.

Gemma
Diesel Kate
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Diesel Kate »

Richard,

Pepper looks stunning. Lovely pictures.

I only lasted 3 weeks when my dog Jake died in July 2007. I adopted Balee in August. It was not that I thought any the less of Jake I love him to bits still, OH but the house just was not the same without a four legged friend.

Balee has well and truly got his feet under the table and has got both of us round his "big paws"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Kath & Balee
nicky181

Post by nicky181 »

So sorry Richard to hear that you lost Lucy so young. :) Glad that you did decide to get another dog and chose Pepper - lovely pictures.

Look forward to seeing some more

Nicky x
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

Pepper looks gorgeous and I am so happy to hear that she is settling in.
Wel done for "hanging in there" and I am sure that in a few weeks time she will be 100% part of the family.
Last edited by jackiem on 29 Feb 2008, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.
benjiesmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by benjiesmum »

Pepper looks very happy in the photos and I am sure she will do her best to fill the space in your heart that hurts after you lost Lucy. You never forget the dogs that become part of your life, but there is nothing more rewarding than opening up your home to another dog. She is gorgeous! :D