housetraining 7month old

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kate

housetraining 7month old

Post by kate »

we have adopted maisie from lab rescue just over a fortnight ago and she is settling well - she was a nervous little dog at first and shivered and shook if approached but now her confidence is growing daily and she actively seeks out our company. she's a lovely waggly little thing - SO - now she's had her space to adjust we do need to tackle the 'accidents' - some in the day - always wees but at night we can get piles of poo too.
she isnt left more than 6 hours at night - can anyone give us some tips as all the books involve 'puppy' training - not a 7month old girl!! :|

her other unsavoury habit is poo eating - hers (although only when she goes outside ), oscar ( our other rescue lab's), cat poo - and other indescribables- tips on this most welcome too. :?: :?:
cath

Post by cath »

It's the same technique training an older dog as it is a puppy. They can just sometimes take a bit longer.

Best thing to do is take her out to the toilet after playing, eating and sleeping, and then lots of praise when she goes!

She'll get into the routine eventually.

As to the poo eating, that will take a while to sort out.

What are you feeding her on? I know a few labs that do that. Our Sam used to until we changed her food.

I think the Blue Cross website has some good tips for housetraining an older dog - http://www.bluecross.org.uk/web/site/Pa ... ur_dog.asp
cheekygit

Post by cheekygit »

hi with the poo eating thing i have been told that a little bit of pineapple or tomato sauce in their food puts them off eating poo but ive not had to try it my self
islander1963

Post by islander1963 »

To get ours housetrained through the night we limited their space and brought a babydan (metal) playpen second hand, in it we put a hard bed well padded (a hard beg to cope with any accidents saves washing a whole dog bed everyday) then the remainder of the area we put newspaper a bowl of water and a couple of toys, we also fed her in her playpen so she would know it as her lovely safe place. Dogs do not like normally to soil near their beds so limiting their space helps. We also take out after every meal, several times in the morning and a few in the evening and its the very last thing we do before bed, we also praised them highly even giving a small treat when they went outside to enforce that it is a good thing.

Draw back I now have two playpens lol as they love them so much its their own space, but it is worth it, its also good place to put them in if we have tradesmen etc come in.

Pooh eating take time, we just kept ours away as much we could made sure nothing was left in the garden and walks interesting enought that they didn't think about pooh
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Maisie sounds a little sweetie. Some good advice already given, only thing I can add is it is worth using a word when they do their business, with time they then go on command and know what it is you want them to do.

Good luck, I am sure Maisie will get the idea soon.

Jackie xxx
anneke1
New User
New User

Post by anneke1 »

Hi, have you thought of trying to use a crate at night or when you are out? It works in a similar way to the baby-pen, but has the added advantage that you can store things on top of it! I used a crate for Ash when we first got him - taking him straight into the garden when he came out of his crate, lavishing loads of praise when he did his thing (using key word also a good idea, I use "be quick" - will now try to squeeze a drop out even if he has just been if I ask him to - bless!). It worked really well for us and he now loves his crate where the door is open all the time - he just now chooses to go in himself.

Also had lots of fun with the poo eating thing which thankfully is now easing off. I used to have to race into the garden with Ash first thing in the morning to get to the cat poo before he did. Will now occasionally eat a mouthful when we are on a walk if he is really really excited and forgets himself - usually when playing with another dog. I have to watch him like a hawk. Tried all the recommended treatments - pineapple, courgettes, Deter treatment for own poo, and using a rattle bottle. The bottle worked best, but had to be right by him when he was eating it and get the timing spot on, which is not always easy.

Good luck!

Anneke
Jayne

eating feces

Post by Jayne »

Hiya,,,we had the same problem with our dog eating feces,weve sorted this problem out by using some tablets,bought from pets at home called excel deter,Coprophagia Treatment for about £5 plus regular feeds and in less than 2months,problem sorted,,,,,Good luck :)
kate

Post by kate »

thanks for all the fabulous tips - am trying a couple at present - restricting area at night etc - but a bit loathe to go for the crate/pen idea unless this fails as we also have oscar who is a big boy and they sleep curled up together in a tangle in whomsoever's bed they fancy that night! it is a lovely scene - she would not be parted from him so we'd have to get a huge one! couple of days without poo eating as im being extra quick out in the mornings to check and she is always too excited on walks to bother so its just a case of vigilence in the garden :shock: - what a great support network we have here! will post some pictures of oscar and maisie when ive got a decent portfolio to show them off !! :P
samsung
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by samsung »

Bring this up as a must read topic ......

Sammy the water rat
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Yes I wonder how she went on
Alison B

Post by Alison B »

What a sad story :cry: Who could do that to such a beautiful Boy? :cry:
Some people make me so angry :angryfire:

I'm so glad he found his lovely forever home with you :)
He's a lovely Boy

love Alison & Rosie (Lancs) XXX