How we started In Labradors By Marlene Hepper "Mardas

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

How we started In Labradors By Marlene Hepper "Mardas

Post by Glenys »

I was delighted when Marlene Hepper Mardas Labradors responded to my request for an aricle for our website.
Marlene and David are TOP breeders of superb Show quality Labradors in this Country.....Marlene is also a staunch supporter of Labrador Rescue.
I hope you enjoy the article as much as I have esepacially when I read that her first Labrador was "Rescued."

HOW WE STARTED IN LABRADORS
By
Marlene Hepper (Mardas)

We acquired our first Labrador in 1968 or at least he acquired us. We had boxers for years from Alan Dawson of the Stainburndoff kennels near Otley. But they died and we were without dogs for over 6 months old. My 3 sons who were getting to old for Easter Eggs were asked what they would like for Easter instead of Easter eggs. All three answered lets have another dog. Well for 6 months I d had a lovely clean house with spotless floors, no slobbering on clothes or furniture. But we agreed to look into having a new dog.
It was just at that time that the Afghan Hound was becoming very popular and I fancied an Afghan. But they were so expensive. Too expensive for just a pet dog so we moved on to thinking of another breed. I spoke to my friend who had a Veterinary practise in Wakefield, West Yorkshire. He told us of a Labrador puppy that had been presumably dumped on Flockton moors outside the Wakefield area. The Vet had checked him over when he came to the boarding kennels for strays. Even then the strays only had 7 days in the kennels and then had to be put to sleep. This puppy was lucky because my friend paid his board for three weeks until he could be moved elsewhere for the puppy s own safety. He was moved to a farm where he stayed until someone came along and offered him a home. Let me point out that as a little girl I had attended dancing classes in Pudsey and the teacher had two yellow Labradors they were the size of small donkeys, you could eat your meals on the width of their backs. I was NOT going to be persuaded to take in a puppy that would end up very similar to the two I had met previously. So reluctantly David my husband and I went along with our three young sons to see the dog. Clearly intending if we did not like this puppy to walk away.
We arrived at the farm met by the farmer and his wife who told us that this puppy was wonderful etc. Has the farmer was talking to us he opened the door of a building and out shot a male yellow Labrador puppy So excited to see us as though we were his previous owners. Runing around wetting himself with excitement. Running backwards and forwards to our sons and all the adults. He just did not know which of us he needed to convince that he was the one for us. Needless to say we could not leave him So we came home with one yellow happy puppy and three young sons who could not do enough for this little yellow fellow.
We tried to find out who his owners had been and whether he had been stolen We even travelled to Cornwall because someone there had telephoned in answer to our advertisement saying they had lost a yellow puppy. We arrived at the house in question the lady opened the door looked at the puppy and said closing the door in our faces that this was not her puppy. Bearing in mind that there were no motorways at that time it had taken us over 9 hours to drive down to the ladies house with three young boys and the puppy. We were not even offered a drink for our efforts. So we turned around at 11 pm to set off back home to Yorkshire.
We were told to get in touch with some show kennels because this puppy looked as if it might be a show puppy. So we contacted a lot of show kennels in regard to finding out who Shan as he was now called might have originated from. But although all the kennel owners agreed that he was a lovely puppy and might well have been bred for showing. They had not bred him.
At that time you could register a puppy with the Kennel Club with a second class registration providing three Championship Show judges stated that the puppy did look like a Labrador. So we approached three Championship show judges and they did state that this puppy was indeed a Labrador. So it came about that Shan was our first registered show puppy .Was a Labrador that we had rescued. We had a great time with him going to small open shows and winning firsts and occasionally being placed down the line but we didn’t care. I for one was bitten by the showing bug. Through showing Shan we met the Kenningleys (Longley) Labradors where we acquired over a period of time three yellows two bitches and a male Then we met Mr and Mrs Jack Wilkinson(Keithray) Labradors and through Michael Boothroyd ( Roywood)Labradors was offered a black male called Keithray Venturesome. He in turn was mated to another bitch we had bought called Keithray Anthea and produced Bridget of Rosevilla. Because at that time we did not have the prefix (Mardas) We bred a lovely litter of blacks and were encourage to register them with our own prefix of Mardas. So Mardas Labradors was born from all our names Mar. from my name Marlene. `D` for David (my husband and our middle son. `A` for Andrew our eldest son and `S` for Stephen our youngest son.MARDAS.
We eventually bred a black bitch called Mardas Vivette she was all Keithray breeding and was bred to Champion Ballyduff Marketeer this litter produced our first Champion Sh Ch Martin of Mardas JW. And so my future in Labradors was set in stone .From the very first time I set eye` s on Shan. So very different to my Dancing teacher`s two Labradors my love for the Labrador breed has been constant. To this day I’ m still in love with the Labrador breed. They have helped me through many troubled times. They have always been there and never turned away as many friends might do.
We’ve bred many Champions at home and abroad. Having Labradors has given us many happy judging appointments in many Countries.France.Germany.Estonia.Italy.Canada.America.Russia.Japan. New Zealand.Australia and many more. We have seen the World and made many friends just because we own and love our Labradors. I’ ve judged many of “ The Labrador Retriever” Clubs around the World and in 2006 I had the honour of judging males at Crufts. The exhibitors gave me a record entry for the breed for that show and for that I shall always be extremely grateful to my fellow exhibitors. Also for allowing me to have the pleasure of judging some lovely Labradors. Our Mardas breeding is in many pedigrees both at home and abroad and have produced for their owners Champions that they can be very proud of. So we come to the present day all I can say to you is that I’ m still besotted with the Labrador Retriever as a breed and will always have Labradors around me. They give me so much pleasure. We have bred and shown other Gundog breeds with a lot of success, but the Labrador Retriever will always be first and foremost the breed for me.
I hope that this article in some way gives Labradors who have been very lucky to be placed into the hands of people dedicated to the Labrador Rescue a chance of a new start in life they deserve to be happy dogs. All they ask is the chance to give their new owners a great deal of pleasure. Only asking in return for a warm home and the food they love. In return they give loyalty and love for as long as they live. Good luck to all the New Owners who decide that they too could give a home to one of these loyal creatures who ask nothing more than to please.
Marlene Hepper (Mardas Labradors)
benjiesmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by benjiesmum »

Lovely story. How fate takes a hand in the things we do sometimes! :)
aliandwills

Post by aliandwills »

What a lovely posting. Thanks Marlene for taking the time and thanks Glenys for sharing it.
I think Marlene has hit the nail on the head. Once we've had a lab, we have to fill lab shaped holes in our hearts ever after.
Alison x
billybluemoor

Post by billybluemoor »

What a lovely inspirational story.....thanks !!!
Alison B

Post by Alison B »

A lovely story Marlene-Thank You.
Your love of Labs shines thro

Love Alison & Rosie XXX
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Very enjoyable read, thank you Marlene for taking the time to jot all this down and share it with us.
Jackie xx
janhind
Senior User
Senior User

Post by janhind »

thank you for sharing your memories with us marlene, a lovely story, jan xx
It is never too late.
John

Post by John »

It just goes to show how infectious Labradors really are. I think all should be sold with a health warning! I know they infected me. :wink:

Regards, John
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Marlene has sent me a photo Of Shan