Elvis now known as Barney

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Emma T
Senior User
Senior User

Elvis now known as Barney

Post by Emma T »

Hello all

My hubby Pete and I adopted 7 month old Elvis nearly two weeks ago from MKF and it was a very special moment for us as we have always dreamt of having our own dog. We have looked after many trainee guide dogs over the past seven years but have never been able to have our own special lab due to working commitments. I am now at home so all that changed.

So Elvis now known as Barney has entered our lives and all I can say is we are so lucky and Glenys has made us very happy by letting us adopt Barney - she is a lovely lady :) ! Glenys described him on the site as a darling and he is a complete darling, the sweetest, most gentle little chap, so adorable and so much fun! He has such gorgeous little personality and we also think he is the most handsome black lab ever ( :lol: but I am sure quite a few of you will lay claim to owning one too!!!) as you might have guessed we are smitten!

He has settled in so well, all three of our cats have really taken to him, even the scaredy one who hides from most of the guide dogs, Barney is fab with them, he wiggles up to them in excitement but is very gentle and our tabby cat even washed his ear the other day which I think Barney found slightly worrying! He sleeps in his bed in our bedroom, his favourite sleeping position is on his back, legs splayed everywhere snoring loudly! He adores his toys, his favourite was a squeaky pheasant but it needs urgent surgery now after he ripped it open, so he has moved on to a squeaky mallard and his favourite toy at bedtime is his fluffy duck. He is lovely with other dogs, again very waggy and gentle. He sticks to Pete and I like glue and he is very happy when Pete comes in from work on an evening as he has both of us rounded up! He loves his walks (short ones at the moment!) and loves fetch. His favourite spot is under the old pear tree in our garden, he just loves lying there in the sun and he is getting covered in pear blossom which looks like confetti on him as though he is a labrador bridegroom (my husband will tell me off for writing silly things!), so sweet!

He has some of the classic lab moments too, one of my trainers has met its maker and he ate my phone charger lead last week (not plugged in!)! But he is a lab pup so more fool me for leaving them out! He also has a very unhealthy interest in the cat litter tray :shock: , but that isn't so uncommon I believe and if he can get a complimentary bum sniff off one of the cats he is delighted! We took him to the vets on saturday morning to register him there and to get him chipped and the vet said he was a fine little labrador pup and she said he had a fab temperament, we were like proud new parents! We also took our three cats for their annual jabs and the tabby projectile vomited accross the vets floor and Barney flew across the room to try to get an extra meal :roll: .

He is a bit wary of water at the moment which was a surprise,we took him to Marbury Country Park in to the bluebell woods which has a lovely shallow stream, we thought he would love it as so many of the guide dogs have but he woudn't go in so I was standing in the stream in my wellies catching sticks from Pete on the side trying to show Barney how much fun it is, I looked like a prize fool with the pup just looking at me quizzically on the bank :lol: ! So we may have a lab who doesn't do water!

We will still be getting guide dogs so he will have some nice new friends to stay and I think eventually we would love to have two dogs as he seems to love other dogs so much.

It is so lovely learning more about Barney and the things he loves and his little quirks so thank you very much Labrador Rescue for letting us adopt Barney, he will be much loved and adored by us always :love5: !

Emma and Pete

Ps photos will follow shortly, I am not technological :oops: so will get Pete to put some on!
Emma
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

That is so lovely to hear.
It sounds as though Barney is going to have a lovely life with you.
Jackie
janhind
Senior User
Senior User

Post by janhind »

Its Lovely to hear how Barney has settled in, looking forward to the pictures.

jan xx
It is never too late.
arlyj
Senior User
Senior User

Post by arlyj »

Sounds like Barney has got a lovely new home.

He looked like a real cutie in his pictures so look forward to seeing more.

Axx
samsung
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by samsung »

8) Fantastic & Funny
Life is never the same once you have your very own lab,
We had have had our chocolate Sammy from MKF last November at 10 months old.
Have fun with Barney cause they are so worth it .
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

What a lovely update on Barney - he sounds like he has settled in beautifully. You will have to post some pictures of him as a Labrador bridegroom.....that I have to see! I have two Labrador girls, Maggie who is 3 and a chocolate Lab and Bella who is 1, she is a black Lab. We love both of them to bits! We too had a squeaky pheasant that now needs some surgery as Maggie performed major surgery on ours, she extracted his squeaker, which was a shame as Bella loved it!

Jackie xx
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Great news Emma and nice to meet you at last so pleased you are happy with Barney, thank you for the kind comments :oops: some people would not agree am a lovely Lady though :D :D

xxx
Gemma T
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Gemma T »

Great news that Barney has settled so well and I'm sure you'll have loads and loads of fun with him.
Can't wait to see the piccies - he's a gorgeous little lad!!
Gemma x
Alison B

Post by Alison B »

It sounds as tho Barney has got his paws well and truly under the table at your house :D and so glad to hear it!

I think he's going to be just fine in his new forever home.

Please post photos when you can

Love Alison & Rosie (Lancs) XXXX
Simon
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by Simon »

Sounds a lovely lad witha super home. barney is not alone on the not liking water front. Pip is not that keen - though a discovery of ducks in a nearby stream may change that!! :roll:

Simon