Rescue history part three

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Rescue history part three

Post by Glenys »

Moving day :

After an exhausting day that nearly was our last here we had to sleep in a different bedroom than we had chosen as that was made up it is the most oppressive room in the house we later discovered
I cant explain entirely just very weird presence and I was so exhausted but I said to Sam I cant live in this house sorry .
:cry3:

The next night however in the room we had chosen as ours all was well I suppose being built in 1730 there was bound to be things that happened and many did maybe more of that later.

There was an appeal on the site and by the kindness of people we were able to borrow those clip together fencing panels you see on building sites so our dogs were safe from the road we set about planning where we could get good kennels from and organise proper fencing which is very expensive we found a firm in Blackburn called Work Great and they gave us a price for four kennels at first and they were excellent though it would be July when our first Labrador arrived for homing from here and we no longer needed the boarding kennels although they still do help out if we are stuck.
The longest items to arrive were the galvanised runs but they got here eventually
We quickly realised we needed the runs covering so the dogs didn’t get wet and guttering so Sam did that at weekends when he wasn’t at work he also made the strong bucket holders we have as we use galvanised buckets for water so there is constant water available the stainless steel holders mean it doesn’t spill especially when dogs like to paddle in them .
We quickly learned also normal blankets just would not suffice the dogs would chew it up so we got the best quality profleece veterinary bedding its easy to wash and dry rarely gets chewed these are changed at least once a day and in winter we warm it up so together with heaters the dogs are cosy and warm .
We have two washer and two dryers and a rack for drying stuff too we go through a lot of washing powder here.
Sam was still travelling to Rishton in Blackburn where he was a precision engineer each day so the day to day running of the kennels was my job and at that time Kathryn was our coordinator with me so between us we got the job done.
Some thoughts I had were oh blimey I’m picking up mountains of poo ( I hadn’t thought of that ) plus cleaning out kennels and exercising dogs and also we realised our beloved touring caravan was now fairly redundant so much to do did not allow for holidays so we took the decision to sell it .
We really had said goodbye to a lot of things we took for granted.
Sam retired In July 2004 he now says he never retired just changed duties luckily he had built up pensions so we were no worse off financially especially the travelling costs to work now gone.

By now the dogs were flowing through some needed extra training and very boisterous the ones that get to me are the oldies they make me sad but these days the power of social media we can usually get foster homes rather than them be in kennels.

To be continued ............
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Rescue history part three

Post by mollie »

Glenys, I can't see parts 1 and 2 ! Have I missed it? This is great reading :1951: :1951:

What was the name of the first dog you had at Rescue?
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

It was in the wrong section sorry moved it now .
I will have to look up which was the first dog to arrive
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Have been really enjoying these posts, it's fascinating to read how it all started. You must both have had great belief and determination to overcome adversity along the way to have achieved what you have now.
For you :love3:
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
maxie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by maxie »

Keep the history coming - it's fascinating! I'm full of admiration :love3:

Joan xx