Jack's 3rd Gotcha Day!

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nesslabs

Post by Nesslabs »

As predicted, on Saturday Jack and Tess climbed Carn a Mhaim in the Cairngorms. It was a 6 mile walk in before we started on the actual hill which was 1037 metres high and we reckon the round trip was 14/15 miles long.

Shortly after we reached the summit the weather closed in and for the next three hours we were accompanied by distant (and not so distant) thunder. It was interesting seeing the dogs' different reactions. Jack didn't turn a hair and went on happily but Tess was trembling with her tail down and walked so close to me I almost tripped over her. There was nothing I could do but keep going confidently and telling her it was fine. Could have done with some of that DAPS spray!

I tried to upload a movie clip I took of them at the top (by mistake - I didn't realise camera was set for movie - duh) but the trouble with using Photobucket is it gives access to everything stored under the password. This doesn't seem wise so we deleted it. If there was a way of embedding just the clip we'd be happy to do that.

Kathleen
Nesslabs

Post by Nesslabs »

A while ago Glenys suggested Jack and Tess did a sponsored climb to raise money to help other rescue dogs like themselves.

At that point Jack wasn't ready but I think he is now. So we're planning to climb Ben Nevis on 21st July. My two sons, daughter in law and a few friends are coming too. It means leaving Inverness about 6.00am and driving down to Fort William. The Ben isn't difficult but it's 4406 feet (1344m) high and it's a long hard slog from near sea level. There's no doubt in my mind that Jack and Tess are up to it - the big question is whether my old arthritic knees will cope!

Near the top there's a precipice which is dangerous in poor visibility so we'll only be climbing if it's a clear day (although conditions can change fast up there!). In any case I'll be keeping the dogs on lead at the top.

The dogs are out for another climb this Saturday. Their pads need to get used to rocky ground but so far they've had no problems at all.

Kathleen