Munro challenge for Jack & Tess!

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nesslabs

Munro challenge for Jack & Tess!

Post by Nesslabs »

On Saturday Tess climbed her 18th and Jack his 12th Munro (hills over 914 metres or 3000 feet). Jack's tally is lower because I couldn't take him on the hill until I was sure of his recall with distractions like mountain hares and deer about!

A while ago Glenys suggested sponsoring the dogs to climb Ben Nevis. At that time they weren't ready for it but I'm hoping we'll tackle the big Ben some time in July.

So if anyone would like to sponsor Jack and Tess to climb Britain's highest mountain (to raise funds for rescuing labs like themselves) hopefully the climb is now on and we're in training!

Kathleen, Jack and Tess
janhind
Senior User
Senior User

Post by janhind »

i'd sponsor them Kathleen, good luck
It is never too late.
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Great idea Kathleen, I too will sponsor them. Just out of interest how did you deal with recall with deers and hares? I am having awful problems with deer when we are out walking......my two are off chasing them! They always come back and never go too far however I am not happy with them just doing a runner each time, they may get themselves into trouble one of these days.
Jackie x
Nesslabs

Post by Nesslabs »

Thanks both of you for your encouragement.

It's difficult to ask folk up here to sponsor the dogs for a Rescue down south as there's a new Labrador Rescue started locally and of course it's needing support. But Jack and Tess came from MKF so that's the one we're supporting.

About chasing deer when we're on the hills, I rely on my sight being better than Jack's and putting him on lead if I see a potential problem ahead. The only times he's disappeared off have been in wooded areas, usually near to home where he's not too bothered about losing me. One time on a hill walk we had to retrace our steps and wait for him. I think he thought he was lost, was very apologetic when he came back and hasn't done that again! Training him to come to the whistle has helped and saves me yelling like a fish wife. :D

It's not an issue with Tess - she doesn't have his prey drive and always stays close. She can be a stubborn little madam at times but is great when we're out and about.

Kathleen
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Thanks Kathleen, my two are trained to the whistle too, but for bitches they have a big prey and chase instinct! I too rely on my sight being better than theirs but it never works as as soon as we get nearer to where the deer have been they can smell them and are off! I must admit I let them go as we walk in foresty commission land so it is safe enough. They never go far and always come back but all the same I would still like to have a little more say when they can go and chase deer rather than it being that they are the ones in control!

No problem sponsoring Jack and Tess I think it is a great idea, it might be worth sending Ian a pm so that he knows about it and he will push it more on the site and set up paypal for payment etc. I think he has his hands full at the moment with organising the fun day so he may not have got around to reading this post.

Jackie x
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

Count me in for sponsorship, too.
Love,
Aileen xx

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
Nesslabs

Post by Nesslabs »

Thanks Jackie, I've pm'd Ian.
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Any news on how we can Sponsor Tess & Jack? Have I missed the link somewhere?

Jackie x
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Just found the link on the front page, I have sponsored you all :wink:
Jackie x
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Sponsor from me as well Kathleen great of you to take the challenege xx
Mad Maisie

Post by Mad Maisie »

I don't have a paypal account so could I send my sponsor money by cheque!!!

Gill
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Hi Gill

Yes of course please mention its for this fundraiser so we can total up at the end.

Glenys x

Cheque payable to:

Labrador Rescue
Malt kiln Farm
Tincklers lane eccleston
Chorley
PR75QY