Minnie

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Minnie

Post by Glenys »

When Shelley my grandaughter was a tiny tot Craig (my son) got custody of her so of course because Craig was single I assumed a big role in her life,at one time we had Minnie a Black Labrador she was gorgeous and her and Shelley had a special bond,if Shelley was poorly Minnie wouldnt be far away (see picture) and Shelley would always say Minnie made her better.
Never was there a closer bond between child and dog.
When we moved here sadly Minnie died it was a big shock to us as she was only 2 and a half.
It was really hard to tell Shelley as she was her "Special" dog.

One lovely day Shelley went into our Garden,she came in and Mattie was asleep in her bed and the other dogs were in she went back out again then she came in and said "Nan Ive just seen Minnie in the garden,"I said "have you ?" she said "yes I came in and checked that Mattie was here but I knew it was Minnie".
Later that day I aksed her did she have any worries and it came out she was being picked on at school so I said maybe Minnie was just telling you that she was still here and watching over you.
Some days later Shelley was in the garden again so I went down and asked her what she was doing,she said i wish Minnie would come back again,so I said to her that she had gone back to heaven but was watching over her and if sge needed her she would be there but she may not see her but she would be there.
Its 5 years ago yet she still remembers that day and still remembers Minnie.

Alison B

Post by Alison B »

A lovely story, Glenys. :)
The bond between a child and their dog is extra special and very strong- I know that from personal experience.
I saw an advert in one of today's magazine for a locket- you know the sort of ad - but the inscription was very poignant

There are no goodbyes for us.
Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.

My word Minnie was a stunning Girl !!

love Alison & Rosie (Lancs) XXX
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

What a touching story Glenys. It is amazing how some children develop a bond with their pets, some do and some don't and I always think that the children who are able to bond to an animal at an early age are very special and gifted people.

The picture is lovely and Minnie looked to be a very special girl, I was sorry to hear that you lost her so young.

Jackie x
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

the yellow pup in the photo was a rescue one we were fostering.

I think children and dogs are great together provided they have mutual respect, no nicer bond really.

Minnie sadly died of a Pyometra this is an infection in the uterus which can happen when the dog is in season (which I didnt know) and I didnt see any sign really just she just went very listless and quiet,as it was a hot day a call to the oncall Vet just said that it could be the heat sadly that one time I didnt go with my gut instinct and she died in the night.
I have never forgiven myself for not insisting the Vet saw her I would never make that mistake again.
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

What a sad but heartwarming story, your grandaughter must have been comforted by the thought that her beloved Minnie was watching over her.

To lose a beloved pet so young is heartbreaking, for you as well as your grandaughter. You have done so much good for all the dogs passing through your rescue that it seems so unfair that you have had these things to contend with as well.

Anyway I just want to wish you and all your family all the best, you really do deserve it for all your hard work.

Joan
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Thank you Joan,it did make me wonder why my dogs who were so loved and wanted should die young as we also lost Ned last year aged four.
I am a great believer in that things happen for a reason although I cant think what that reason would be we accept and try to hope the dogs we have now will be with us a long time and also help as many rescue dogs as we can.

Regards Glenys
natty

Post by natty »

Such a moving story. dogs and kids are something special arn`t they?

I am aware that Hovis had different roles in the house depending on which child he is with.

Having four children with very different personalities means their expectation of the dog is different..

The eldest son want a rough and tumble "manly sort or dog" The daughter wants a "light and fluffy sort" The youngest boy want "an adventurous and wild sort" and my second eldest needs it to be clever and trainable.

Poor Hovis can cater for all!!! I do ,however catch him rolling his eyes as if to say " it it not their bedtime yet"

Me? well I just want him by my side where I can rub his ears to say "Thanks" :D
cnocluinge

Post by cnocluinge »

Eyes a bit misty here.....so sad.
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

What a lovely story, Glenys.
Here is a quote which sums it up, I think.

"Every puppy should have a child."
Author: Erma Bombeck
Love,
Aileen xx

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."