baileyboo, new thoughts! (shankley)

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jillwild

baileyboo, new thoughts! (shankley)

Post by jillwild »

the kids want to take him in daft shows ie gorgeous rescue, which is ok but my eldest wants to take him in a lot more, which i think is good if thats what they want to do. i know bailey willl go with the flow,good day out for him. natalie has tought him lots, which is fun to watch, as there both daft but to watch them grow together is just brill, she his teaching him tunnels, up, down, across leave n wait. can do this at home brilll, great out till sees another dog. think he would do better for neutering. im a bit soft on this point n feel guilty but friends of mine say when its done they have had the best dog ever.just want the best for him, input please!
BEST 1

Re: baileyboo, new thoughts! (shankley)

Post by BEST 1 »

Hi Jill

I 'm glad everything is going great with your little boy.
:1951:

I had my Sam "done" at the end of December 08 when he was 18 mths old. He cried a little after the op but in a couple of days was back to his normal "lively" self. I must admit the operation calmed him down a little and he does not attempt to challenge other males. However, it has not altered his character at all and he is growing in to a wonderful dog.

I was advised by my vet to have him operatated as he also had a retained testicle. Apart from that my late boy Buster was a full dog and had a lot of trouble with anal ulcers caused by hormones. So I wanted to spare Sam potential suffering in the future.

After all the decision is yours but I would recommend it.

Best Wishes

Alicia & Sam (BLack Lab) XX
janhind
Senior User
Senior User

Post by janhind »

Glad that bailey is getting on so well, I believe that all dogs male or female should be neutered/spayed. unless they are to be used for breeding (not recommended, there are plenty of dogs in rescue already) it cuts the chances of a lot of illnesses, the only thing you have to watch for is weight gain a lot of dogs are prone to it after "the op"

jan xx
It is never too late.
carolb
Homing Coordinator
Homing Coordinator

Post by carolb »

My Robbie has had the snip. He was a little wobbly when I collected him from the vets but after a good sleep was back to his usual self. By the following day you would not have known he had had surgery! Would definately recommend, it will keep his mind off the ladies. :1971:
Rehoming co ordinator. Tel 07399559202.
natty

Post by natty »

get him snipped. a dog with a sexual drive and no girlfriend is a frustrated dog. it wont help much with his training but it may help when there are times when he coud be distracted by the ladies..... its better for his long term health as well
benjiesmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by benjiesmum »

Absolutely get him done! It takes away all that looking for girlie dogs and calms them down tremendously. Stops them getting into fights too with other dogs. I had Buddie done and he never even noticed anything was missing. The worst bit was the "lampshade" on his head! :1968:

Fun Day shows are great and I think it's great that your kids want to take him to shows. :1963: :1963:

The fun classes are the best because no one is taking the showing thing too seriously.

If you are in the north west try Caerwys Show in Flintshire on Saturday June 13th - there are plenty of fun classes there in the dog section.

http://www.caerwysshow.co.uk/
drexl1234
Senior User
Senior User

Post by drexl1234 »

Hi, we adopted Alfie a few weeks ago. he has been neutered. I doesn't stop him trying to hump anything when he gets excited also he has a lovely nature. should be no probs,all the best Dave and family.

:2372:
All the Best Dave and family.

ImageImageImage
Simbas Mum
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Simbas Mum »

we had MR L done friday and he isnt to bad today ,we have done this as he likes to go and explore other dogs all the time and likes to wander a bit out of sight and sometimes leaks sperm onto rugs etc .he is perfect and very calm dog otherwise .
skippy1962uk
Senior User
Senior User

Post by skippy1962uk »

MR L is fine today seems back to his normal self,he can go for gentle walk monday then 10 days should be ready for the big walk run abouts again ,vet said will be 2 to 3 weeks before his male homones go away and his wandering instinct may go to so we will see.
NOW TAKING BOOKINGS FOR 2015 2014 full till mid October
Dog boarding in our own home free run of gardens and house ,no kennels also just a short walk to Towneley park Burnley Lancashire
check facebook out
also you are welcome to join our facebook group
http://www.facebook.com/groups/223486261085758/
jillwild

Post by jillwild »

BEST 1 wrote:Hi Jill

I 'm glad everything is going great with your little boy.
:1951:

I had my Sam "done" at the end of December 08 when he was 18 mths old. He cried a little after the op but in a couple of days was back to his normal "lively" self. I must admit the operation calmed him down a little and he does not attempt to challenge other males. However, it has not altered his character at all and he is growing in to a wonderful dog.

I was advised by my vet to have him operatated as he also had a retained testicle. Apart from that my late boy Buster was a full dog and had a lot of trouble with anal ulcers caused by hormones. So I wanted to spare Sam potential suffering in the future.

After all the decision is yours but I would recommend it.

Best Wishes

Alicia & Sam (BLack Lab) XX
hi alicia & sam thanks for your input and weve decided yes thats the best way to go.my hubby was holding back ( think its a male thing. gosh do think if men had to have the babys the population would drop massively' hee hee. dont want his character to change, just want his full attention, for him to have fun and stop worring about the laidies. lv to you both lv jill n bailey x
jillwild

Post by jillwild »

janhind wrote:Glad that bailey is getting on so well, I believe that all dogs male or female should be neutered/spayed. unless they are to be used for breeding (not recommended, there are plenty of dogs in rescue already) it cuts the chances of a lot of illnesses, the only thing you have to watch for is weight gain a lot of dogs are prone to it after "the op"

jan xx
hi jan, breeding was not the issue, totally agree, too many babys in the rescue, yes were going for it. thanks for your point on weight gain. our boy is very lean at the mo, i sometimes feel he looks to lean but vet says he wishes he could see more labs like this, very healthy and full off muscle, so hopfully he will sail through this. make enquiries next week for him. i shall keep you all informed.
jillwild

Post by jillwild »

millie minx wrote:My Robbie has had the snip. He was a little wobbly when I collected him from the vets but after a good sleep was back to his usual self. By the following day you would not have known he had had surgery! Would definately recommend, it will keep his mind off the ladies. :1971:
thanks were going for it! just want him to enjoy his life to the full because he fills our lives with so much fun and love.
benjiesmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by benjiesmum »

Jill, my hubbie was the same - it's all about manhood etc..... :1962: but if you are not going to breed from him and you don't want folk knocking on the door with doggie paternity suits, it is best for him. I would do the same for a female too - well not quite - but you understand what I mean. It doesn't change their character at all they just become more focussed on you and your family. :1951:

When I was a child we had a dog used to visit us regularly to see our female dog - who wasn't "done" at the time. He used to whinge and wail outside the house, wouldn't eat and wouldn't go home, just used to sit gawping through the window at our dog for days on end - I used to feel so sorry for him his whole life revolved around one thing. :1968:
jillwild

Post by jillwild »

benjiesmum wrote:Absolutely get him done! It takes away all that looking for girlie dogs and calms them down tremendously. Stops them getting into fights too with other dogs. I had Buddie done and he never even noticed anything was missing. The worst bit was the "lampshade" on his head! :1968:

Fun Day shows are great and I think it's great that your kids want to take him to shows. :1963: :1963:

The fun classes are the best because no one is taking the showing thing too seriously.

If you are in the north west try Caerwys Show in Flintshire on Saturday June 13th - there are plenty of fun classes there in the dog section.

http://www.caerwysshow.co.uk/
yes i agree fun classes are great, the kids always did the novelty classes with my horse in between the showjumping
classes which he also loved, one minuite showjumper next minute teddy bears picinc, just great fun, and thats whats kids and all animals should enjoy together. thinking about it horse wise ,most horse people will only take on gelded males.[done] stallions are a nightmare!
jillwild

Post by jillwild »

drexl1234 wrote:Hi, we adopted Alfie a few weeks ago. he has been neutered. I doesn't stop him trying to hump anything when he gets excited also he has a lovely nature. should be no probs,all the best Dave and family.

:2372:
think boo will always have that edge but hope it just lets him be the dog i know he wants to be,