Teething

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dizzyowl

Teething

Post by dizzyowl »

Hi everybody,

Alfie Blue is almost 16 weeks old and still absolutely adorable but teething, even though I'm providing plenty of teething toys I'm just enquiring what else is available, people have recomended bones and rawhide and I'm becoming slightly confused because i'm sure that i've read somewhere that they are not recommended for dogs as they have something in them. I've also heard of giving dogs carrots but not sure at what age you can start giving them. I know I sound like a paranoid mum but my poor baby is teething and you can tell its hurting because he's getting grumpy with it and occasionally naughty.

Looking forward to hearing your advice and thank-you in advance for this.

Love Mel, girls and Alfie x :1971:
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Teething

Post by jackie »

Avoid raw hide, bones and chews meant for older dogs - he is definitely too young for these. I used nylabones (they do a puppy starter pack) for my two when they were pups, and they loved them. Carrots are fine too and Kong toys are good as you can fill them with all sorts of safe foods and then freeze them which helps cool the gum.

Jackie x
dizzyowl

Post by dizzyowl »

Hi Jackie,

Just ordered both items what would you advise to put in the kong toy to freeze to help soothe his gums.

Many thanks Mel and Alfie :1971:
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

You can put all sorts of foods in but be careful not to upset his tummy at this age. You put mix some chopped apple with a little peanut butter or natural yoghurt or if you cook some chicken breast or chicken mince for around 30 minutes, add some of his usual kibble and leave until the kibble is nice a soft, drain excess water and you will have a lovely soggy mess to put into the Kong and freeze.

Just try him with small amounts at first to ensure he doesn't get an upset tummy. The frozen ones are messy so are best eaten outside! You can wedge in carrot batons and puppy treats too so it takes them some time to get them out.

Jackie x
benjiesmum
Senior User
Senior User

Post by benjiesmum »

I have always given my teething puppies nylabones - they are also flavoured and are very strong and specially made for teething puppies. :1944:

I am not a fan of hide chews etc - I've seen too many times dogs and pups getting them stuck in the roof of their mouths or worse choking on them. :2008: :2008:

Buddie also found the pine unit in the kitchen very good to chew when he was a pup so we had to move it for a while - he doesn't bother with it at all now! :1968: