Find a Way Back

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Find a Way Back

Post by Glenys »

………

Some years ago I was contacted by a lady who begun the conversation then broke down in tears, this happened a few times till eventually I was able to find that she had lost a most beloved Labrador we will call him Dillon and Her name Eileen.
Eileen decided she wanted to offer a home to another yellow male Lab he had to be young she was quite specific in that ,as is typical we didn’t get any in rescue all being blacks or chocs or females,I used to enjoy our chats and felt I also helped her get to come to terms with the loss of her beloved dog.
One day I had a call about a Yellow female Lab called Pippa,sadly Pippa had been badly abused, burned on her face and neck with cigarettes, punched as well so much so she had a hemorrhage in her eye.
We managed to rescue her and the same day Eileen rang for a chat I told her about poor Pippa and without hesitation she said bring her here.
I didn’t need to be asked twice and I tool Pippa over to her, so even though she was the exact opposite of what she had wanted a female nnot male a six year old not young Pippa came to stay.
Strange things happened for instance Eileen told me that Dillon would always jump up at ten pm when the news came on so he and Eileen could go for their last walk, the very first night Pippa did exactly the same, Eileen was amazed, she then told me that she had left all Dillon’s toys exactly where he had left them, his most favorite one Pippa found and that became her favorite too, there were many coincidences to follow, I said maybe he is trying to let you know he is still with you.
I always think things happen for a reason which brings me to this Story,

for those that don’t know Our beloved Ned our (GWP)German Wirehaired Pointer Died this year he had cancer and at only 4 and a half years old, Ned was a big character he had a special look for everything he was thinking, he was not outgoing with people he didn’t know but he loved his friends and adored his family ,GWP are not like Labradors in any shape or form where a lab will go with the flow GWP are sensitive do not like to upset the owners/family or harsh words or shouting, they are capable of protection and will send away the scary monsters so brave as well, he was good with our other dogs but not in a close way like the girls will all snuggle up together Ned would not he would be with us or on his own.
Ned had the most gorgeous hairy face he would look at us with his “Diana” look beautiful eyes so expressive.

When we found out he was dying it was grief from the word go like my heart was being squeezed and turned and lumps in my throat I would find myself dripping tears whilst shopping or driving and raged at the unfairness of it all.

When we lost him ten weeks later the world was a bleaker place I went round in a daze .

One Day I went to see my friend at her local boarding kennels I happened to bend down to tie my laces, I looked up to see a face looking back, for a moment I was transported I was looking at Ned, but not Ned this was a big black dog, I went to see him he weighed me up just like Ned would a stranger, I asked Heather what kind of dog he was she said he is a Giant Schnauzer ,I asked what he was like in temperament she said he was lovely a big teddy bear of a dog with huge paws, of course he belonged to someone so I couldn’t take him home nor was I ready for another dog.
I told Sam about him, I said he is so like Ned but not a GWP.
I looked on the internet and read about the breed, I took Sam to see the one at the kennels and we both stood and said he is so gorgeous.

All this time nursing a broken heart I looked at pictures of Ned as a puppy Ned as an Adult.

I found a litter of Giants and also that there was a black dog puppy left, we did some heart searching and we decided that we would like the dog puppy, we didn’t see him yet we had to wait which was good, we could see him in 3 weeks.
We got ready on the day to go and there were the pups one pup stood out to us he had a fleck of grey on his chin and on his chest the others were all black, we chose him and chose the name Gollie, we met his mum his dad his gran and granddad all fantastic characters, we had to wait two more weeks and counted the “Gollie days” I looked again at the photos of Ned as a pup he had a grey fleck on his forehead, I remembered him being very aloof with us when we went to get him four and a half years ago he cried all the way home (5 hours) but when he bonded with us we were his people, when we picked Gollie up he was the same It has taken him a few weeks to bond with us, he does the strangest things for a young pup he lies in the same place Ned used to lie, he has the same ways and he is so gorgeous, I remember I used to call Ned the Omar Shariff of the dog world, I am not sure what star Gollie is yet, I used to say that if Ned had been a man I would have married him  .
So In a way I am sure that in some part we have found beloved Ned again even if he is “in the Wings” and Gollie is here we will see and we will know either way he will be loved and cherished all his life just like Ned.
Oh and everyone who meets him loves him and so do the Girls Betty (BT), Nell (Lab) and pat the pug.
Does anyone else think that our pets don’t really leave us or have a way of coming back?

Ned Puppy

Happy Gollie day

with the girls

It wasnt me Mum

Beloved, most bloved Ned

bessiebunches
Intermediate User
Intermediate User

Post by bessiebunches »

Glenys
You know what I feel, there is no such thing as consequences. Ned is in your heart forever, and every time you look at Gollie you will be reminded a little of Ned. (opening doors, following you to the bathroom, wet soggy whiskers, good judge of folk) and many more things beside
Hugs to all

Gail
x
Love Light and Reiki Blessings

Gail

xx
Image www.back2healing.co.uk
andrea

Post by andrea »

Glad you feel ready to share this story Glenys, there arent words to describe what losing Ned was like... but you have his spirirt in that beautiful boy Gollie ...... much love xx
DavidandGina

Post by DavidandGina »

Oh Glenys, I'm struggling to write this through the tears. I'm so pleased you have found Golly and I know exaclty what you are saying. I've always firmly believed they never leave us and we will all be together again some day. Toby has been the coming together of the 3 black labs before him. He looks so like Jessie sometimes he stops me in my tracks, he has little Elle's gentle fun and humour and as he gets older I can see our sweet old boy Biggly shining through. Meg, my beautiful barmy yellow girl who came home with us when we were looking for an older black girl came for a reason. Quite simply to remind me that love goes on and one day, a long time off, I hope, she will send her little reminder that she's still around.

Look forward to seeing more of your gorgeous boy.

Gina
xx
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Thankyou xx it was quite hard to write it,I may be critised for not having a rescue dog and a labrador but for me I followed my heart I like to feel that my first breed the Labrador will always be helped by me I will as long as I can rescue and find homes for the labs that are in need but for me this strange set of coincidences brings me close to Ned and all the other dogs thats shared my life.
hers to Gollies life and that of all the dogs xxx
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Toadess

Post by Toadess »

Glenys,
I really cant believe what I've just read,
Today was doing some cleaning, :( I was doing the stairs (I like to use the hard brush to clean em!) :?
When you go up our stairs there is a little landing before some more steps,
Our dear Simba as soon as I started cleaning would go and sit on the landing and just watch as I went about my chores.
Today Borris sat in the same spot, same look everything I started crying and he didn't jump or be really giddy he gentle stepped, the thing is Borris has never really done stairs, (he had a thing about stairs how many do I miss before getting to the bottom step)and nudge me :cry: I cried even more, so he nudge me more.
So I know excactly how it feels I'll never forget simba, I took a picture of borris but being a cottage its very dark! Look a bit scary two glowing eyes! :wink:

Our friend has GWP and she says "he very sensitive if I had to tell him off he'd really devastated and be upset that he had upset us"! I believe her too! :D
So its uncanny the way things happen.. Simba will have been gone to the bridge a year on 26th July. :cry: But we hear ourselves and other say "Borris is doing so & so like simba".
So I really do understand. :D

Gollie looks every much as adorable as the lovely Ned. :D
Lovely photos

sandra & Borris
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Thankyou so Much we are all kindred sprits and the lovely Borris was meant to be with you Ive no doubt I can still remember the day you took him we were so thankful
xx

ps there is a song by Vangellis Find your way home does anyone have it?
John

Post by John »

I'm so pleased you have found a new friend Glenys, and yes, I believe they never leave us. I've always been sure Beth had a hand in finding Anna. Golly looks lovely and I'm sure you two are going to have so much fun!

Love, John
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

How wonderful for you to have 'found' Gollie Glenys. He looks adorable. I love the pic of him with the girls. :D
Lovely to read your story, I'm sure Ned will never leave you and I bet he approves of the new arrival! :D
More pictures PLEASE, in your spare time ofcourse!

Alison x
michelemad

vangellis

Post by michelemad »

click on this link Glenys!
i loved this song when i was growing up i have just spent half an hour crying!!!!

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=40K55oszGho
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

thankyou x here are some the lyrics

My sun shall rise in the east
So shall my heart be at peace
And if you're asking me when
I'll say it starts at the end
You know your will to be free
Is matched with love secretly
And talk will alter your prayer
Somehow you'll find you are there

You ask me where to begin
Am I so lost in my sin
You ask me where did I fall
I'll say I can't tell you when
But if my spirit is strong
I know it can't be long
No questions I'm not alone
Somehow I'll find my way home
Somehow I'll find my way home
CarolynM
Webbyswife
Webbyswife

Post by CarolynM »

What a lovely story Glenys, I had a tear in my eye (well both of them :lol: ) - its lovely to see pictures of Gollie and his family.

I do think that our past dogs are about - Chloe never barked when we had Ben but now when she barks exactly the same as Ben did. Now we have Toby who is a combination of Bruce (my first lab) and Ben. He is now digging up toys that Ben buried ages ago!! :roll: most of our back garden is migrating into the house!!

When Bruce died we got Max (from Midlands lab rescue), we were at our wits end with his destructive behaviour - one day Lauren toddled down the stairs, looked at Max and asked why Bruce was back? From that day, Maxs' behaviour improved beyond belief. I like to think that Bruce was guiding him.

xx
Carolyn
andrea

Post by andrea »

Oh Glenys, cant believe you want a copy of that song...it is my favourite!! Jon and Vangelis, Friends of Mr Cairo!! Great album....will do you a copy xxxx
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

I sent some pictures of Gollie to a Friend who had Neds sister she said "Blimey Glenys he is so like Ned its spooky" I said yes he is he does all the same things,
When we took him to the caravan last week I got Neds toy down off the shelf this is a little queaky toy with a funny face Ned had it years he never chewed it up he use to lose it sometimes under the dresser and lie there till we fished it out,he used to jump on it to make it squeak ,it was funny a great big dog jumping up and down on this small toy,when we were leaving the caravan that last weekend with Ned and knowing he wouldnt be coming again,I put it on the shelf.
I got it down for Gollie he looked at it and before five minutes was up he was jumping up and down on it to make it squeak :) at ten weeks old.
Maybe his friend was telling him what to do .