Megan

Share your story about your rescued dog - good or bad!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

phoenixbbs

Megan

Post by phoenixbbs »

It's early days yet (it's her first day with us) - wow, she's a bit of a hellraising handful !

She's lovely, but needs a fair bit of "teaching" before she's safe to leave in the kitchen on her own yet - for such a small dog, virtually nothing seems safe on the worktops !

So far, she's:

Scratched and bit me all over (she's at the "mouthing everything" stage)

Discovered the loves fish food - knocked a big tub over, then moved all the conservatory furniture to get to what she couldn't get to on the window ledge...

...decided she likes it so much, she wants the food in a feeding ring in the middle of the pond...

...crazy about biting anything she can - most of which is ok, but she's gone through everything from plastic bottles, tennis balls, plastic ball pit balls, primroses, and rocks / stones (she seems especially keen on them, which we need to stop before you damages her teeth)

Digging. We've got holes in the garden, but she really likes trying to get through the leather couch - and when she's not trying to claw her way through, she quite likes to try to bite her way through :-}

Toys - she likes to take stuff, so far we've lost 3 duck ornaments from around (or in !) the pond, a beaver, and despite best efforts, she wasn't able to get the pond lights - only because the cable stopped her (they're low voltage, so can't hurt her, even if she did damage the cable)

Last but not least, she's curled up on the couch next to me quite happily, snoring :-)

I think we're all going to need a good night's sleep, ready for round 2 tomorrow !
phoenixbbs

Re: Megan

Post by phoenixbbs »

PS: pictures to follow :-)
mollie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollie »

:1968: :1968: :1968: Just looked at her picture on the homing page - she doesn't look capable!!!

7 months old! Sounds like a typical pup. You'll have lots of fun sorting her out!
Mr Bumpy, Jess and Tilly always in our hearts xx

Marge and Jess x
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

Blimey, what a whirlwind! I'm sure she'll settle.. sounds like she needs to burn some energy off in a more constructive way! Looking forward to the pics..
Wishing you and Megan every happiness and many years of fun and frolics Image
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

Judynjake04
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Judynjake04 »

Megan does look such a sweetie on her pic. I'm sure she will settle down soon and you will have so much fun together.
:2384:
Look forward to some pics, when you get a moment :1968:
Leonette, Stuart and Rosie
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

Judynjake04
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Judynjake04 »

Ooops, Megan you naughty girl, I hope your Mum and Dad can't see you biting the table :1967:
I love the pic where you are soooo sleepy :1958:
:2362:
Leonette, Stuart and Rosie
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

Here I am a little while later, wasn't really sure what to do with her tonight, because her tummy's been a bit "iffy", so I decided I'd sleep on the couch...

Every time I tried to get my feet up, she'd adjust her position to stop me, and now I'm sort of one leg on, one leg off, and lying on a funny angle because she's now decided to snuggle up to my "on" leg, with one leg over mine, and her head on my hip asleep...

...and I need to go the loo ! :-}
Willow
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Willow »

Oh bless her :love2: All sounds a bit exhausting for you at the moment but she will no doubt settle when you implement a lovely routine with lots of love and kindness over the coming days.
Can't imagine how a dog must feel when they first go through such a transition; must be very difficult.
The good news is that, one day, you'll look back on these early days and laugh.. :1939: :1939: :1939:
Joanna & Toby xx
Willow, my labrador soulmate, my one in a million..
Jan 2003 - May 2011

mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

Love the update and Megan's photos. Have to admit to liking the first one best - sorry :1968: Takes me back to those puppy days when you don't know wether to laugh or cry :2386: :rofl:
Please keep the updates coming

Alison x
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Great update and sounds like you have your hands full :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Love the piccys especially the one with Megan's mouth around the table leg.

Look forward to hearing more of Megan's antic's.

Amanda Jim Milo Zak & Max x
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

Megan you are beautiful :love2: be happy in your new home :bighug: congratulations in adopting her she sounds like another Skye full of mischief. Have lots of fun together

Ann x
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Ann Mee wrote:Megan you are beautiful :love2: be happy in your new home :bighug: congratulations in adopting her she sounds like another Skye full of mischief. Have lots of fun together

Ann x
Congratulations on adopting Megan, she's lovely if full of beans at the moment bless her!

Funnily enough, I looked at the picture of the table leg and thought 'SNAP!' we have one like that.......... and a matching stair spindle in our recently decorated hallway :1968: and I know just what you mean about dreading moving when somebody snoozes at last - my 'angel' has picked the sunny end of the sofa and is dozing beautifully as I write.

You will have lots of fun and laughter too though - do keep us updated!
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
phoenixbbs

Post by phoenixbbs »

She's starting to settle down a bit better now, and she's responding to verbal commands more often (although she's not great at it yet), and we discovered she likes footballs.

Other people's footballs...

Luckily, it was next door's kids who came to play on the same field as us, and although they don't have a dog in the house, they're pretty good (if wary) about saying hello and tickling them. It went without saying that if she managed to burst the ball I'd get them a new one anyway, but they got it back in one piece (I don't think they've ever blown it up properly though, which had be confused, because I didn't know if it had been burst, or just needed blowing up !)

We now have a basketball, blown up *hard* - they're damn near impossible to burst, and just as much fun to chase.

She's not stealing quite so much now, which is a relief, but she knows exactly where her treats are stored (cupboard under the stairs) - and she knows she can get away with "pinching" something from there to chew on without being told off.

As I've been typing this, she's taken herself off the couch, where she's snoozed for just over an hour, by sliding off in slow motion, front paws first. After her front paws hit the ground, the rest of her "oozed" off, but instead of standing up, she just "oozed" all the way off and went to sleep again, back legs half-way up the couch.

We've taken it in turns up to now sleeping in the living room with her, because her stomach's still a bit upset, but she was better last night than the first night.

Both me and Helen were exhausted by 11am today, my back's just gone twang, but I've already lost several pounds in weight !
Johndale
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Johndale »

I have laughed at the antics as Megan "breaks you in" and takes over your entire household & routines. Pretty soon she'll have you exactly where she wants you & will relax her frantic enthusiasm. In the mean time, just hang on in there ....you are the chosen ones. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :2362: :2384: :2385:

John & Teddyxx