Stem cell treatment

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Stem cell treatment

Post by Glenys »

I had an interesting chat recently with John and Sue Tullett about their beloved dog Charlie so I asked if they could do us a potted history on their experience:

As promised a brief email about the stem cell therapy Charlie had.
We adopted Charlie from the Labrador Rescue in Chorley in 2008. A beautiful 7 month old Champagne coloured boy! (Champagne Charlie!)
He was a huge success and settled in quickly with his new sister - a black lab called Milly. They went on to become inseparable.
Happy days! As the years went on Charlie developed arthritis quite badly and was on medication to ease it. He also had regular hydrotherapy which he loved!
When he reached about 8 years old he was seriously starting to struggle to walk. It was breaking our hearts to see him - and we were being subjected to disparaging looks when we were out on his very short walks.
Charlie suffered from double elbow and double hip dysplasia.
Our local vets telephoned us telling us they had been discussing Charlie (?) and had we considered Stem Cell Therapy? I had not heard of it so immediately did some research! It had been mainly used on horses but progressively now on dogs to huge success.
We of course agreed and Charlie had some cells removed from his abdomen and they were whisked away to a laboratory. After the allotted time - approx. 2 weeks - the cells had developed and were ready to be injected in to Charlie's elbows and hips.
We were informed that the procedure may not work or that is may take a few days to work. Fair enough - he had to have a chance!
I am not exaggerating when I say the effect was immediate!!! I went in to collect him from the vets and he leapt out to me! I was moved to tears. He was such a happy boy and we could again enjoy all his favourite walks! (Taking it steady of course!)
We have since lost our beloved boy - he was a dog in a lifetime - but having the stem cell therapy prolonged his life for at least 18 months. (They also harvest enough cells for another dose should it be required.)
I would not hesitate to recommend this to any Labrador owners in the same situation.
If anyone would like to speak to us directly about this please let Glenys at the rescue know.

We are now the proud adopted parents of Del who is already enriching our lives................!

John & Sue Tullett
kayj
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Stem cell treatment

Post by kayj »

Noel Fitzpatrick " The Supervet " regularly uses Stem Cell Therapy in his work with pets . Very interesting programme.

Kay.xx
JoanG
Senior User
Senior User

Post by JoanG »

When George's elbow was diagnosed with arthritis the vet said it was bone rubbing on bone. He said to try supplements and a slightly reduced exercise regime first which luckily worked for George but that he was having good results with stem cell treatment. We would definitely have gone down that route if he had any deterioration again.
Joan and George x
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Interesting I have read up quite a bit on this in the last few months, certainly worth a go.

Jackie x
Lisahoward123
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lisahoward123 »

Hi guys

I asked our vet about stem cell treatment for ED this morning for Archie who has severe ED one leg worse than the other. He said it’s only suitable for some dogs , having just attended a vet conference on the topic. Apparently it works well on regenerating cartiledge in some dogs but said that for Archie, because his elbows are so disforned with the extra bone formations that the secondary oeseoartritis causes that it probably wouldn’t have an effect. So that was very disappointing . Archie just needs to continue on the meds he isn’t doing well at the minute I think due to the cold and damp weather so is on increased meds. It’s such an awful condition that unfortunately gets progressively worse
Lisa Archie and Tarka x :3517:
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Lisahoward123 wrote:Hi guys

I asked our vet about stem cell treatment for ED this morning for Archie who has severe ED one leg worse than the other. He said it’s only suitable for some dogs , having just attended a vet conference on the topic. Apparently it works well on regenerating cartiledge in some dogs but said that for Archie, because his elbows are so disforned with the extra bone formations that the secondary oeseoartritis causes that it probably wouldn’t have an effect. So that was very disappointing . Archie just needs to continue on the meds he isn’t doing well at the minute I think due to the cold and damp weather so is on increased meds. It’s such an awful condition that unfortunately gets progressively worse
Lisa Archie and Tarka x :3517:
It sure is Lisa, it is so debilitating and particularly so for dogs. It is heartbreaking to see a dog limping and in pain I am struggling with my old girl and have to take each day at a time. Most days are good, some are very good but some are bad too :( Hope you get Archie sorted xx

Jackie x
Lisahoward123
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lisahoward123 »

Thankyou Jackie for your kind thoughts he is struggling a bit lately I think I will take them both to splash for r dogs hydrotherapy in Warrington a lovely big heated pool ideal for dogs with joint problems both our two absolutely love it

Love lisa Archie and Tarka xxxx
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

Hi everyone

I have decided to change vets and am taking the girls for a check up on Friday Kinder for a normal eyes, ears, heart and anal glands. :2008: Coco on the other hand is limping on and off, I was told arthritis had started at 7 months when she had her operation she hasn’t done too bad only starting to limp the last couple of weeks, she’s 5 in March f1 (where has the time gone) I’m hoping it is due to cold weather and over doing it the odd time on our walks. I have also found a small pea size lump at her rib cage again hoping this isn’t anything sinister.... I’m hoping this is just a small fatty lump. I will be asking the vet about stem cell treatment and if it’s something that may work for Coco.

Apart from this the girls are full of life and mischief (coco) :1967:
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
Lisahoward123
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lisahoward123 »

Hi Debbie I hope Coco is ok it’s most probably the cold and damp weather that’s what the vet thought for Archie visibly limping the last couple of weeks ( he usually just walks slowly and hasn’t limped up until this point) . I dont think trying to chase squirrels up hills and trying to get up trees after them whilst walking in the woods helps his shocking elbows bless him. I hope beautiful Coco is ok and the limp is just due to the weather

Love Lisa Archie and Tarka xxx
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

Just to say wishing Coco's problems are nothing much and sortable when you see the vet. I know you mist be worried.

Hilary, Rowley & Douma