Sam

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Sam

Post by jackiem »

Hi Liz and all your lovely ladies (and everyone else).

Sorry it's been so long but mum hadn't logged me in to the site and I haven't quite worked out how to do that yet.

Well, I can't remember where we were up to but here goes.

Mum keeps telling me that I am a really good boy and that she loves me lots so I am really pleased about that. Dad loves me too and I must admit spoils me a lot - it's a good thing that mum is at work during the week and doesn't know everything that goes on here.

They still cannot quite believe that they have a Labrador that doesn't steal food, what a little tinker that Bob must have been. Mum and Dad still love him too but I'm not jealous and I think I would have got on well with him. Mum thinks that he is guiding me to do the little things that she loved as I now sometimes lie where he used to so that she can tickle me with her toes and there are some other little things that he used to do that I now do that remind her of Bob. The big difference though is that I have to tickle mum back and it's really funny the effect me licking her bare feet has. She's very, very ticklish and I like her laughing and squirming so I do it even more.

I still love to play with absolutely anyone who comes to the door. Mum has to warn people that I will run to them, rush back to fetch a toy, then run backwards and forwards wagging my tail. The supermarket delivery people who put the shopping on the table end up leaving the house smiling or chuckling to themselves as I tear round and round the table with excitement. I think some of the visitors think I'm crackers but it's just my way of showing people that I love life and I love them. Mum says she hasn't met a Labrador before who oozes quite so much exuberance and joie de vivre (she's just come back from France) and no one can possibly be sad or down in the dumps when I am around. Mum is very pleased that I don't do the excited "dribble of piddle" thing any more. Instead, I do an excited sort of squeaky noise.

I still like to dismember my toys and my favourite is a spider, or rather a round black circle with eyes as he doesn't have legs any more. Mum has had to return two "indestructible" toys five minutes of them arriving as, quite frankly, they weren't. She thinks I should earn my keep by providing quality control services to dog toy makers!
I had destroyed so many toys that she ordered eight new ones for me and they arrived all at once so that was really exciting! I now think that every Amazon delivery contains toys for me but I am often mistaken. I never, ever destroy anything else though.

Last weekend, I discovered how much fun it was to steal socks and pants from the laundry basket as Mum was hanging them out. She had to stop and give chase. What a great game! I did it three times in quick succession. I'm sure Dad won't mind a bit of dried doggy slobber on his undies and socks. :2379:

So, as I mentioned, Mum and Dad have just been to France for a holiday (no, they didn't bring back a French poodle for me to play with!) and I was really good for my ladies. They thought Bob was perfection but they think that I am a different sort of perfection and it makes them very happy to be with me. I didn't hear Mum sneak into the house when they got back and she stood by the door watching me having my ears tickled by one of the ladies for a couple of minutes, then I turned and saw her, couldn't quite believe my eyes and ERUPTED with excitement. Mum had happy tears in her eyes and I bounced round like a complete loon until she felt dizzy! Then Dad came in muttering something about help with suitcases but Mum knows her priorities! Dad got the same greeting so he stopped muttering and gave me lots of strokes and pats instead. Apparently as soon as they got onto the drive Mum was out of the car and in the house before Dad had even turned off the engine as she was so excited at the thought of seeing me.

Yesterday we had a double tragedy in the field. I did have four hens to watch through the fence but Dad had let them into the other part of the garden for a wander. Mr Fox must have spotted Sandy, the timid sandy-brown one first who made no noise when he took her away. Then he came back for Blackie (who was black - original names eh?) who kicked up a really big fuss but sadly Dad and I got there too late and he had taken her too. Snowy (guess what colour she is!) and Bluebell (who is actually grey) were hastily marched back into the safety of their pound. Mum has managed not to say "told you so" as she had said so many times in the past that the hens did not need the extra space to wander but Dad took no notice so Mum stopped as she doesn't like to nag (honest) and Dad already felt really guilty. Mum just said "these things happen". Dad has learned the hard way that Mum was right (again) and he won't be doing that again. They intended to buy two more hens but now they need to buy four and Mum says that there will be replacements for Sandy and Blackie who will retain the same names, one which is patchy which lays blue eggs and a white one with a sandy head. They haven't said what the last two will be named yet. I strongly suspect the patchy one will be name "Patch" and the one with the red hair will be name "Rufina" which apparently means red hair, though knowing Mum and Dad they will just call her "Redhair"! Dad was planting vegetable plants right next to the place that the hens were and I was with him so Mr Fox must have been really sneaky.

So, I think that brings you up to date. I'm loving my life and letting it show which rubs off on everyone else around me. That's what Labs are for isn't it?

That's all for now I think.

Sam
Jackie
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

Hi Sam

It was lovely to read your news. I came on here special because your mum put on FB that you'd been on here. Glad your mum & dad enjoyed a holiday in France but I can understand how it was lovely to get back to you. Confess I was very sad to read about your chicken friends. Look forward to your next update (no pressure!) Enjoy your summer.

Hilary, Rowley & Douma
Glenys
Glenys
Glenys

Post by Glenys »

Dear Sam

I am very pleased to hear of your lovely life and new job as " Chief of toys , Quality Controller " this is a very responsible job which all the doggies will be following to see your next report as Toys are a serious business in Labrador Land..
It seems that Bob aka Bobbles big lovely boots fit you very well as "Heart mender in chief too".
We love your blog and it may be time for a new thread further adventures of " Sam the magnificent " .

Love to Your Mum and Dad too xxx

R I P chickens xxx
Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

Lovely post Sam, so good to hear your news. I'm sorry to hear about your chicken incident with Mr Fox but hopefully Dad will not let it happen again when your new recruits arrive. Sounds like you are keeping mum & dad on their toes & making them very happy humans. Keep up the good work lovely boy :love2: :love2:

Ann xx
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Sam, yet another lovely update. You can tell what a happy and well loved boy you are and have such a wonderful life. Think you would make a great quality controller for dog toys, as I know someone not sitting far away likes to dismember their toys too :rofl:

Sorry to hear about your chickens and hopefully Mr Fox won’t get anymore.

Love reading your updates and please keep them coming, gorgeous boy :love2:
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

Hi all. Sam here again.

Well, it's been a normal couple of months in our household. Routines are running well so mum and dad are now fully trained and keep to my timetable very well.

I have lost my initial shyness with strangers and now go full pelt into "play with me" mode, don't bark at people who mum or dad allow into the house, made friends with the postman as he always has a pocketful of treats, don't piddle with excitement and grab a toy instead of mouthing when I get excited. I walk perfectly on the lead and tell dad when it is time for my 3pm walk by sticking to his heel until he gets my harness and lead. My favourite thing to do is when mum is going to bed and I throw myself on my bed, legs akimbo so that mum sits on the bed with me to give me a tummy tickle (not the only one of the day, but my favourite) before she goes upstairs.

I was looking forward to a visit from human sister's dad as he REALLY knows how to play. Everyone thought that human sister would have to stay with me again for a couple of weeks after an operation to remove the two metal plates and nineteen screws from her leg but she was so well that she went home after one night! Perhaps he will come to see me in any case.

What other news? Oh! I caught a real live rabbit!! What fun it was to chase it. I tried to bring it into the house but mum rushed in, closed the door, got me a treat from my drawer, rushed out again to give me the treat and so I carefully put my new "toy" on the floor to eat the treat and quick as a flash, dad had picked up the rabbit and put him behind a fence to recover. He lay there for a bit but then hopped off unharmed. Dad had mixed feelings as he has had to build Colditz-like constructions to stop the rabbits from eating the vegetables that he grows and now they have started to eat mum's flowers but he's a big softy at heart and didn't want to see the rabbit any more traumatised. He said he's happier if I just chase them out of the garden.

Mum and dad still find it a little strange that I don't steal food. Bob's little escapades keep popping up on facebook reminding them of just how cheeky he was. The latest memory was some butter which she had weighed for a cake which disappeared when she went to answer the door...

Dad watched a programme about people making waxed waterproof jackets and asked why he hadn't got one. As you can see, dad only has any clothes because mum buys them for him! He was a bit miffed when mum told him that I had one! :rofl:

That's all for now except that I am very excited that my ladies will be coming to stay in a few weeks time to look after me. They're even better trained than mum and dad!

Sam :2379:
Jackie
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Oh Sam, how clever you are to have trained Mum, Dad and your ladies so well :rofl: as well as walking beautifully, retrieving the rabbits gently and not piddling when things get exciting :rofl:
We hope you have a smashing time being spoilt by your ladies :thumbup: and then by Mum when she comes home and has missed you,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

I know it hasn't been long since my last update but I thought I would tell you about my visit to the vet last Saturday.

Mum said I was just going for something called a booster but my ears were looked at, my teeth, my "bits" were felt, a strange metal thing with tubes on was put on my side for the vet to listen to my insides and then he felt for my ribs and spine. I wasn't weighed though 'cause mum knew exactly what I weighed as she weighed me after she had weighed the suitcases for their holiday to make sure that she hadn't packed the kitchen sink by accident. It was great fun having so much attention from a new person though I didn't like it much when he squirted something up my nose so I sneezed it back out again and mum and dad should now be protected from kennel cough.

The vet said I was in "superb" condition and built for speed. Not sure whether mum had told him before about my attacks of the zoomies but mum and dad already knew I could run very, very fast. I did it on Wednesday night when mum came home from work so dad tucked himself in :2379: to the side of the greenhouse and mum squished herself by the raspberries so they didn't get bowled over. I LOVE running!
Jackie
jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackiem »

I know it hasn't been long since my last update but I thought I would tell you about my visit to the vet last Saturday.

Mum said I was just going for something called a booster but my ears were looked at, my teeth, my "bits" were felt, a strange metal thing with tubes on was put on my side for the vet to listen to my insides and then he felt for my ribs and spine. I wasn't weighed though 'cause mum knew exactly what I weighed as she weighed me after she had weighed the suitcases for their holiday to make sure that she hadn't packed the kitchen sink by accident. It was great fun having so much attention from a new person though I didn't like it much when he squirted something up my nose so I sneezed it back out again and mum and dad should now be protected from kennel cough.

The vet said I was in "superb" condition and built for speed. Not sure whether mum had told him before about my attacks of the zoomies but mum and dad already knew I could run very, very fast. I did it on Wednesday night when mum came home from work so dad tucked himself in :2379: to the side of the greenhouse and mum squished herself by the raspberries so they didn't get bowled over. I LOVE running!
Jackie
LabLover
Senior User
Senior User

Post by LabLover »

Aww Sam, another lovely update and sounds like you are now not just a contented but also a confident boy, thanks to the love and care of your mum and dad whom we can tell from your post clearly adore you as you do them :love2:

Think it must be a Labrador thing in how good they are at training their mum and dad, as Fynley well and truly has us wrapped round all his 4 paws :rofl:

Glad to hear you passed your yearly MOT at the vets and would love to have seen a pic of you running at speed with your mum and dad against the greenhouse and raspberry bush :rofl: You must be fast to have caught the rabbit.

Enjoy your holiday with your ladies and look forward to hearing more of antics soon :bighug:
Amanda Jim & Fynley xxx

Remembering our beloved boys Milo, Little Max & Zak who forever will always be in our hearts and never forgotten Feb 2003 to May 2016, Jan 2010 to Jun 2017 & Nov 2004 to Nov 2017.