Terrified of fireworks

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jackiem
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Terrified of fireworks

Post by jackiem »

My first dog Betsy was terrified of thunder and to a lesser extent, fireworks. She found her own safe haven in our saucepan cupboard having first opened the door and emptied out all the saucepans! Knowing that she was happier sitting in the cupboard and that it was wrong to make a fuss, we just left the cupboard empty so that she had a "den" to hide in.
It sounds as though Tarka has also found a safe place by your bed so that coupled with the vet's advice should help.
None of my other four labs has had a problem. Rosie challenged the bangs by barking, as did Polly. Max was totally laid back and hardly noticed. Bob barked the first time he heard one and now looks for the pretty lights in the sky as soon as he hears a bang. (He also likes the food associated with bonfire night!).
Jackie
Tros yr Afon
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Tros yr Afon »

First of all lots of supporting and loving thoughts to all the dogs and their families who see the approach of 5th Nov weekend with fear and trepidation...

My Betsy (honorary lab) is terrified of fireworks ... and also the sound of gunfire on news bulletins on TV (the dreadful broadcasts from Syria for example :( ) ... so not looking forward to the weekend as we re close to our towns public exhibition .... Corrie (my rescue lab) did not arrive here till December last year so no idea how she will react ... On the flip side ... we have a lot of low flying jets overhead which are deafening... and neither turn a whisker (while I recoil) ... there must be something very frightening about the explosive noise ... we will hold paws this weekend and send supportive thoughts to all of you with poor girls and boys who get scared
Jo, Betsy and Corrie xx
Hazel
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Hazel »

Some smashing ideas and I agree about listening to the vet always.
My first lab was brought up next to the largest sport airfield locally
He loved fireworks and too the noise of guns not surprising he was the son of a champion gun dog.
But detested planes/balloons and micro lights
also any birds which passed over and he was a hunter.
Nothing I could do or say would alter his attitude to birds or aeroplanes so I was a coward.. Gave up.
I think it is wonderful how different in character our lovely dogs are.
Hazel and Kim
Ann Mee
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Ann Mee »

Hi Lisa

Sorry to hear about Tarka & her ordeal with fireworks. If its any comfort Millie is exactly the same. She is scared of gunshot, bird scarers, anything that bangs. On a Sunday I get up at normal time as there are a couple of gun clubs near us & they start to shoot clay pigeons I think at 10 am. Well I have to be home by then so she cant hear it.

I've gone down the diazepam route, it wasn't for us. I've tried Bachs Rescue Remedy, that does help a bit, Adaptil spray again that does help. This year i'm trying Zylkene as it has come recommended from the lady who owns the hydrotherapy pool where Millie goes. She's been on it 11 days & there has been an odd bang whist we've been out. Her initial reaction to bolt homer is the same but she isn't a shaking wreck like normal once she's in the house.

Tomorrow night however our local bowling club (5 doors away) is having a firework display. I shall unfortunately be sat in a car park near Mcdonalds in Southport looking out to sea, with Millie in the back of the car. I just can't put her through listening to it she will be terrified.

Ann x
I wish everything in life was as lovely as my Labrador
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Just to add I have to say I would love to see fireworks banned.....may sound like a party pooper but what good do they do? When I think of all that money that is literally going up in smoke it really annoys me when there are so many needy charities out there, there are people starving in the world and we are spending money on fireworks, doesn't make sense to me. Then again, we were never allowed fireworks when growing up and nor were my children so maybe it is just us :dontknow:

Jackie x
Joe + Hilary
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Joe + Hilary »

jackie wrote:Just to add I have to say I would love to see fireworks banned.....may sound like a party pooper but what good do they do? When I think of all that money that is literally going up in smoke it really annoys me when there are so many needy charities out there, there are people starving in the world and we are spending money on fireworks, doesn't make sense to me. Then again, we were never allowed fireworks when growing up and nor were my children so maybe it is just us :dontknow:

Jackie x

We were allowed fireworks, saved some pocket money, bought a few each week, kept them in the shed, went to look at them every so often with Dad, used them on the night under supervision, well Dad did it. Enjoyed it very much. However, that was the good old days. Now I tend to agree with you Jackie, things have gone to far as usual, and I wish they'd scrap them.

Hilary, Rowley & Douma
Lisahoward123
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lisahoward123 »

I tried tarka tonight on the calmex didn't make a difference I was meant to be going out with hubby he had bought tickets for a do bless him but I felt I couldn't leave them Archie isn't scared but barks and barks that makes tarka bark and she's scared to death of the bangs she's followed me round like a shadow all night even to the loo bless her. The worst night will be tomorrow I'll take them for a long walk in the day stop in at night and turn the tv up very loud I could ask the vet if they'de give her diazepam in the morning they're open till lunch she'll be ok it's only a few days it's such a shame for all the dogs who are terrified of fireworks and like others have said it's a pointless exercise setting them off they just make a horrendous bang and scare both animals and people I'm a support worker and lots of my clients are scared of fireworks soon may it be over bah humbug hahah

Love lisa Archie and tarka xxx
maxie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by maxie »

My two don't usually bother but last night was awful - there seemed to be parties in every garden around, and some big public do on the common with commentary as well as the bangs. So they got cross and barked like mad, kept wanting to go out and (I suppose) chase off the nasty enemy!! What a night, and to cap it all some idiot was letting off fireworks again this morning. :2012:
ENOUGH!!

Joan
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Lins »

1855 here and still going off :2012: :2012: :2012:

It is really starting to get to Molly now. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.

As for the parrot, well, it's quietened him! Met his match I suspect.

I no longer term these things as fireworks, they're more like bombs. :2008:

Just to add, we have found a poor hedgehog in the garden tonight. I don't think there is much down for him/her. :blue:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador