Insurance Again

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Insurance Again

Post by Jane267 »

Dear All

Lily's 7th gotcha was last weekend (photos to follow on a separate post) making her now 9ish. I have just received her insurance premium (increased from £500.00 per year to £600.00 per year and annual excess increased from £115 to £125) from Petplan (been with them since 2011 when I adopted her aged 2 with no known illnesses) and am startled to see that from next year when she is 10, not only will we have to pay excess, but also 20% of all claims.

Lily has immunotherapy vaccines every month, and atopica every second day, just for ongoing maintenance before you even think about the one-off illness.
Her claims in 2016-17 totalled £1239.73 (£184.80 Nov 16, £405.73 Jun 17, £214.32 Aug 17, £434.88 Nov 17 )
Her claims in 2017-18 totalled £765.84 (£96.68 Jan 18, £469.12 May 18, £200.04 July 18) plus another one due to be submitted for approx £400.00
So she claims approx £1200.00 per year just on routine medication, meaning I am going to have to find an extra £240.00 per year which could be really challenging for us.
I'm afraid to even look at switching, as she has so many ongoing routine medications which would not be covered, so I don't think there is any point.

If anyone has any money saving tips to ensure that my beloved girl continues to get the medication she needs, then I'd love to hear from you.

Jane (and the gorgeous Lily)
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Insurance Again

Post by Lins »

Can't help you with tips for saving....sorry.

I do know that you are stuck with Pet Plan now because of her age and ongoing treatments.

If it's any consolation, we're in the same boat.
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Difficult one, we dropped paying insurance years ago and instead put the money we saved to one side. We have been very lucky and not needed much in the way of vet treatment the most expensive costs were when we had to put Maggie to sleep as I wanted the vet to come to the house and we wanted her to have a individual cremation.

Your vet may offer payments in installments which might help?

Can you buy any of her meds cheaper online would that be an option?

Jackie x
coco-bean
Senior User
Senior User

Post by coco-bean »

Hi Jane and Lily

We are with Petplan too and ours went up by 20% each this year f1 apparently this is normal every year even if you don’t claim !!! Then Coco’s excess went up form £75 to £90 f1 ( dont know about Kinder as we have never claimed anything for Her. (she is like a small bull) I have claimed on Coco’s and still do for medication. Although it is a lot I know if I cancelled either of them I would need it.

We are paying £1080 for both girls this year, when Coco had her elbow operation I was asked is she insured? How much for? After xrays/medication from our own vets then her operation was rounded up to £7000.00 what she is insured for :3517: I also claimed for hydrotherapy 12 sessions @ £25 each and now for yumove advance £50 a box and metacam as and when needed ( not very often)

I took my daughters hamster to the vets a couple of weeks ago and the vet asked me if she was insured and I’m sure if I had said yes it would of cost me more than £20

Like Jackie said you can buy some prescribed drugs online but then you still have to pay your vet to Sign the prescription so these vets and insurance companies have it all sewn up.
Debbie, Coco, Kinder & Buttons XXX

Who ever said diamonds are a girls best friend..... Never owned a Labrador or three
SusanKerr
Senior User
Senior User

Post by SusanKerr »

It certainly should not cost any more whether you are insured or not insured from your veterinary surgery. If it does then its time to move surgeries. They shouldl ask you if you are insured to explore every eventuality for helping your pets such as referral and where you would stand if that need arose and are not just taking your money because you are insured. I know people say their animals are insured and in the end they are not and no money is forthcoming that is why it is a requirement nowadays to see the actual up to date policy of insurance which states what is payable for vets fees etc. Most insurance companies do not pay for home visits for euthanasia and also for cremation costs for ashes back but the majority of them are really good. The prescription costs - well the vets go to University for 5 years to learn how to treat and prescribe for your pet and have to keep up with all the new drugs and training even when qualified - they need to have this to prescribe your animals treatment so it involves them sitting down and working out a dose for your animal - you are paying for their expertise. A new graduate usually graduates with a huge student loan bill for which some of them will be paying for into their retirement. Therefore they are not really doing this to make pots of money - it is for the love of the animals. I think our vets do a wonderful job really.