Advice needed re possible Laryngeal Paralysis

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Advice needed re possible Laryngeal Paralysis

Post by mollymunch »

Hi

Had to take Fern to vets as she has started making a rasping sound when exerting during exercise on walks. We have been told to monitor her but am thinking of taking her back as we didn’t get a lot of information from the vet we saw.

Has anyone had any experience of this and also can anyone recommend a harness as this will probably be more comfortable for her going forward.

Thanks

Alison x
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Advice needed re possible Laryngeal Paralysis

Post by Lins »

Sorry Alison, can't offer any advice or assistance in any way. I just want to wish Fern a good outcome together with a speedy recovery. :bighug: :bighug: :bighug:
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

Sorry to hear about Fern. The symptoms sound very similar to Bella's. How old is Fern? Bella is 12 in a few weeks. I have considered LP and have done quiet a bit of reading up on it to prepare myself. I think Bella's is worse when the weather is warmer and it was this summer that I first noticed her symptoms, but she is not having difficulty breathing and still runs quite happily on her walks. Now the Winter is here she is much better but she does still have a bit of noisy breathing when she runs. I haven't taken her to the vets, as you will know the only option is tieback surgery and she is by no means ready for that (and I am not sure I would opt for it unless I had no choice). For me I am just monitoring her as sometimes it progresses quickly other times it can be quite slow, I am hoping the latter for Bella.

I have moved to a harness found this helped quite a bit, we got a Ruffwear Front Range harness as this seems to be the best fit for her (we found the L/XL best so we could ensure we could adjust it). It is worth ordering a few to try to see which ones fit best.

I would be really interested to see how you get on in the meatime sending lots of healing thoughts and hugs for Fern.

Jackie x
Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Jane267 »

Sorry we also can't offer any advice - never even heard of Laryngeal Paralysis - so a new one on us!

However, we can and do send lots of love to you and gentle hugs for Fern. :2383:

From Jane and Lily
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

Just want to thank all of you for your support and replies.

Took Fern back to the vets today. We saw someone different this time and feel more confident going forward. Fern is 9ish Jackie (rescue).

Vet has reassured us that to monitor Fern is the best thing at present. She told us that each dog is different in their presentation and how the disease progresses She also said that this maybe the worst Fern will get on a positive side however, time will tell and she may decline further. Therefore there is no reason to have any investigations at present.

Jackie, hope this helps with Bella and hope she continues to do ok. Keep us posted.

Alison x
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Post by jackie »

mollymunch wrote:Just want to thank all of you for your support and replies.

Took Fern back to the vets today. We saw someone different this time and feel more confident going forward. Fern is 9ish Jackie (rescue).

Vet has reassured us that to monitor Fern is the best thing at present. She told us that each dog is different in their presentation and how the disease progresses She also said that this maybe the worst Fern will get on a positive side however, time will tell and she may decline further. Therefore there is no reason to have any investigations at present.

Jackie, hope this helps with Bella and hope she continues to do ok. Keep us posted.

Alison x
Thanks for that Alison that is reassuring to know. Lets hope both of our girls stay at this stage only.

Jackie x
Liz5353
Senior User
Senior User

Post by Liz5353 »

Hi Alison
I have just contacted a good friend who lives in Spain, her Spainish Pointer has this.
She got lots of info from google, also from her vet she got Doxepin, I am told this does not cure but helps breathing,
This is something you would need to check with your vet of course.it is an American drug.
She also told me that it is quite common in labrador’s I have to say I had never come across it before and we have had labs for almost 38 years .
Lots of luck and a hug for Fern.
Love Liz Shelly Bonnie Molly Polly x
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

Hi Liz
Many thanks for contacting your friend about Lar Par. Like you I'd not heard of it before either. Will bear this information in mind if Fern needs it later down the line.

Fingers crossed meanwhile :2379:

Alison x
12_paws
Senior User
Senior User

Post by 12_paws »

Glad you've been able to find more information Alison, it must have been a bit of a worrying time initially.
Sending very best wishes to lovely Fern :love2: and :love3: to you,
Des x
Des x

Desley and Finn
Harley & Diesel, safe in my heart
mollymunch
Senior User
Senior User

Post by mollymunch »

Thanks Des. Hope you and the boys are ok.

Alison x