Lily has arthritis in her feet

Talk about your dogs, seek advice and share experiences.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jane267
Senior User
Senior User

Lily has arthritis in her feet

Post by Jane267 »

Hello everyone,

I have been limping for a few weeks now. Mummy took me to the vets today and my leg was X-rayed. I have arthritis in my feet (well I am 9.5 now). The vet is going to give me four weekly injections of cartrophen. Mummy looked that up and discovered:-

" It has anti-inflammatory properties which particularly affect the cartilage within synovial joints. Cartrophen modifies the metabolism of the cartilage and the production of the lubricating synovial fluid. Cartrophen influences the underlying disease processes occurring in arthritis, reducing pain and helping regenerate damaged joint components."

We just got home from the vets and Mummy has given me freshly cooked salmon and rice for my tea - wow that was special having not eaten for 24 hours! Off now for a snooze. :2381:

Does anyone else have arthritis, or any tips for helping me to feel better?

Lots of love

Lily (and of course Mummy Jane)
jackie
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Lily has arthritis in her feet

Post by jackie »

Poor Lily sorry to hear she has arthritis. I can recommend this website https://caninearthritis.co.uk/

Lots of helpful information on the site and it is ran by a very dedicated vet. My biggest tips for arthritis is keep their weight down, cover all slippery floors such as wood/tiles and keep them moving (gentle to moderate exercise depending on severity).

My Bella is 12 now and although she has not been formally diagnosed with arthritis she is bound to have some degenerative changes in her joints. We have split her walks up now so she has 30 minutes in the morning and around 45 mins at lunchtime and then in the evening we do games.

It is hard watching them get old. Hope Lily's injections help - let us know how she gets on.

Jackie x
Lins
Senior User
Senior User

Re: Lily has arthritis in her feet

Post by Lins »

Sorry to hear that about Lily Jane.

Thanks to the life as an assistant Countryside Ranger, Molly is paying dearly for being out on the moors 7 days a week!

Here are the meds she is on:

2 Onsior per day
1 Boswelia per day
1 Apaquel per day
4 U Move advance per day................stop me when I get there.

The other thing that has helped her a lot is acupuncture. I was very sceptical at first but, what can't speak, can't lie. She is a good responder. Some dogs are, some aren't. The other change I made was to feed raw. It has worked wonders. It's not cheap, but, hey ho, she is worth every penny. I use Honeys real dog food. It might be worth looking at their website.

It is whatever works for Lily. I hope you find some relief for her. I agree, it is difficult watching them grow old. Molly will be 13 on 1st June.

Good luck. x x
Lins, Molly and Scooby

A house isn't a home without at least one Labrador